Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

5 hours ago, smileguy said:

I rode out to Lake Nona over the holiday weekend. The town center is really building its own little skyline. Its midrise development, and not particularly architecturally exciting, but I think it will be a major regional activity center within the next decade. 

49209723_762184637469744_4579294916974215168_n.thumb.jpg.dea49ce5bc7d9e26b7062145f58dfab7.jpg

what's really cool is that all of this development is the pre-town center development stuff just adjacent to it... apartments, micro-apartments, hotel, two office buildings, a few restaurants... How many individual projects are depicted in that photo?  Something like 5-6...

5 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Not sure if I’d call it a skyline and I wish this development would be downtown but I agree, within a decade, this already-booming area will be its own little city, like Avalon Park or Baldwin Park. Whether or not that’s a good thing is open to interpretation but growth is always a net positive.

Thankfully it's really nothing like Avalon Park lol. I think it will be more like Winter Park in the long term, in density, size, etc... Just a modern architectural style

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

Anybody catch the fact that Joe Lewis wants to move OMA to LN? He is donating 10mil (out of 40mil) and his personal art collection to get it done

Love the willingness to donate but Lake Nona isn’t the location I’d want to see this built.   This should be in downtown Orlando near the Dr. Phillips Center or build a large addition to its current location. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ClosetMaid is moving its headquarters to Lake Nona Town Center (Office 2 building) from Ocala. My understanding is this should substantially complete the leasing of building 2, leading the way for office building 3 to be built soon.

Also Boxi Park is having its preview weekend this weekend.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:45 PM, aent said:

ClosetMaid is moving its headquarters to Lake Nona Town Center (Office 2 building) from Ocala. My understanding is this should substantially complete the leasing of building 2, leading the way for office building 3 to be built soon.

Also Boxi Park is having its preview weekend this weekend.

that's pretty remarkable.  this place is steadily building up.

any word on when they'll actually break ground on the retail portion of the town center?  At this rate, by the time the first retails open up shop, there will be a much larger patron base to draw from, which is good!

• 2 weeks later...

I might head out there some Saturday just to check it out, but making that drive more than once just to go out, is probably not something I'd be willing to do.

Probably be a popular spot with the Waterford Lakers and the Avalon Parkers.

Maybe the Pine Castleians, Belle Islers and Conwayans, too.

• Like 1

I remember when I first moved to Atlanta we’d see stories in the AJC or Atlanta Magazine about interesting new spots opening in the’burbs Outside the Perimeter.

Rumor had it thar be monsters out there and if you went past the Perimeter you might fall off the earth. There were also tales of boundless seas of Republicans (including Newt Gingrich) and Christians who spoke in tongues (other than the black churches, we mainline Christians in town were mostly a quiet bunch, although the oh-so-pretentious Episcopal Church in Buckhead offered services in Latin).

So, we rarely ventured out there. They mostly felt the same way about us in reverse (there were rainbow flags in Midtown!), although they had to head south to see the Braves and go to Lenox Square.

Thankfully, other than Lake County (with the exception of the very eclectic Mount Dora), our ‘burbs aren’t nearly so skeery these days, although Dr. Phillips has always struck me as a bit soulless. Arnie Palmer rocked, though!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lake Nona Has Announced New Plans for a Linear Community Park

"Lake Nona has announced today their new plans for a seven-acre park that is linear and next to an open waterway. This waterway will be designed to be an alternative for the management of stormwater."

I think local stormwater parks will become more popular in the future. A natural alternative for stormwater management and public park space all in one, what's not to like? Local examples are: Greenwood Urban Wetlands in Lake Davis and Reiter Park in Longwood incorporates a small stormwater element after the park renovation.

Linear-Park-Layout_Page_1.thumb.jpg.fa43c58daa04faf6755c711913e92535.jpgLinear-Park-Layout_Page_2-1080.thumb.jpg.1bd84181c878914a1c6b68596d1307ec.jpgLinear-Park-Layout_Page_3.thumb.jpg.2884950b677c57b273f59acc79e4aed7.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

I have not really followed the KPMG development, but I ran across this today. 

http://www.i4biz.com/news/kpmg-lakehouse-embodies-firms-rich-culture-and-commitment-to-lifelong-learning-and-innovation/

The building is nice- certainly nothing stunning. I had assumed it would be a tremendous economic gain for the area and drive traffic to local hotels and restaurants as well as provide visitors a chance to see Orlando/ Nona, but then the articles says, "KPMG Lakehouse will feature 800 single-occupancy guest rooms, 90 learning and innovation spaces, a 1,000-seat assembly hall, and an Ignition Center where professionals can meet with clients to explore potential disruptors, new business models, and breakthrough solutions. The 55-acre site will also include multiple dining areas, a separate social venue and numerous fitness and recreational amenities to support the firm’s focus on health and well-being."

So my question is a take on the tree falling in the woods idea... if a business traveler lands in OIA, is whisked via shuttle to the KPMG property where they are housed, fed, entertained and basically occupied, how much economic impact does said traveler bring to the community?

8 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I have not really followed the KPMG development, but I ran across this today. 

http://www.i4biz.com/news/kpmg-lakehouse-embodies-firms-rich-culture-and-commitment-to-lifelong-learning-and-innovation/

The building is nice- certainly nothing stunning. I had assumed it would be a tremendous economic gain for the area and drive traffic to local hotels and restaurants as well as provide visitors a chance to see Orlando/ Nona, but then the articles says, "KPMG Lakehouse will feature 800 single-occupancy guest rooms, 90 learning and innovation spaces, a 1,000-seat assembly hall, and an Ignition Center where professionals can meet with clients to explore potential disruptors, new business models, and breakthrough solutions. The 55-acre site will also include multiple dining areas, a separate social venue and numerous fitness and recreational amenities to support the firm’s focus on health and well-being."

So my question is a take on the tree falling in the woods idea... if a business traveler lands in OIA, is whisked via shuttle to the KPMG property where they are housed, fed, entertained and basically occupied, how much economic impact does said traveler bring to the community?

Whether the facility is owned by KPMG or an out of town developer (as is the case with the majority of local hotels not named Rosen), they’re still paying local taxes (minus whatever credits Tavistock wrangled), hiring local folks (both hourly and some number of professionals), provisioning from local sources and probably visiting at least one theme park or I-Drive venue while they’re here.

Also, do we know that KPMG isn’t farming out management of the facility to a firm just as hotel developers do when they flag their properties (even Universal does that - the hotels are run by Loew’s).

In short, it seems like a typical resort type facility with the plus that Nona is in Orlando and KPMG probably is more willing to put in a plug with the local economic development folks than a typical hotelier in the tourist zone.

Obviously, it’s not the same as if KPMG decided to put hundreds of accountants and consultants full time to work in SunTrust Center (they’d probably go to Lake Mary anyway), but it still seems a net plus to me.