Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

• 4 weeks later...

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

So Tavistock isn’t immune to being Orlando’d, either. One shudders to think what would have happened if OMA had moved out there.

Given that most museum expansions are based on contributions I’d say it would have had little impact.

Glad it didn’t move out there though.
Loch Haven Park is a local gem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

So Tavistock isn’t immune to being Orlando’d, either. One shudders to think what would have happened if OMA had moved out there.

Yeah, it never should have been proposed that way. That hotel would have been one of the more expensive buildings per foot ever built in Orlando. Classic case of getting people hopes up when it does not have a chance of being built as designed. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, orlandouprise said:

so i guess no more wave? That was a big value engineering

I had this same thought and looked at renderings a few months back...but I think we may have misinterpreted the original renderings and are premature in saying the wave is gone.  The core structure of the building seems to be rectangular, and the wave element seems to be achieved by irregular overhang of the glass facade.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

I had this same thought and looked at renderings a few months back...but I think we may have misinterpreted the original renderings and are premature in saying the wave is gone.  The core structure of the building seems to be rectangular, and the wave element seems to be achieved by irregular overhang of the glass facade.  

agreed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2J4GXjJGl34

6 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Assuming the balcony ends get a hard edge and glass is extended to the ends, I think it will be similar. But it does look like the renderings really over-exaggerate the wave element.  You can see in the angle with the flat side of the building to us the cut off between the lighted rooms and unlighted balconies. 

71184615_2021013244665744_7746881143709892608_o-1024x1018.jpg

Lake_Nona_Town_Center_Hotel_3_dtl-1-620x450.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You don't often see Orlando mentioned in the Robb Report, but here you go... https://robbreport.com/motors/aviation/americas-first-electric-helicopter-network-connect-central-florida-1234580696/

I know this proposed venture was mentioned somewhere else on the forum in the past week or so, but I couldn't' remember where.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Another interesting development for Lake Nona -- a private Puerto Rican university plans to open a Lake Nona campus:

Puerto Rican university's Lake Nona campus development plans approved

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/16/puerto-rico-university-lake-nona-orange-county.html

You must be really excited, didn’t realize text on here could get so big!!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I really like this planned community of Lake Nona.  Hope they attract some of the Disney operations as rumored from California.  It is a great place and those Californians would think Lake Nona is cheap which from what I saw is really not.  And of course the overall cost of living is so much lower than LA. 

Rumor is the theme park division.

Rumor: Disney Considering Moving Some Operations From California to Florida - Page 1 (themeparktourist.com)

Disney Reportedly in Talks of Moving Some California Divisions to Orlando - AllEars.Net

anyway Lake Nona will continue to attract jobs and people with or without Disney offices.  Like how they have grazing cattle on the undeveloped land still.   Love the Disco stainless steel dog! the new 16 story hotel is topped off and glassed in now  in the Town Center phase 2.  Saw the plans lots more retail and office coming in that next phase.  That KPMG  Lakehouse is beautiful. 

Bio on my friend there  Disco Disco | Lake Nona

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

The cows are likely there to get a tax break. Assuming it’s still in place, agricultural assessments are lower. That was quite an issue in the first House campaign I managed back in 1988 (not that anyone minded breaks for true farmers, but the abuse of the law by megacorporations).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like major Disney operations could be coming to Lake Nona Town Center.  

From the Orlando Biz Journal today:

"""Six large construction companies are vying for the contract to build Lake Nona developer Tavistock Development Co. LLC's eight-story, 278,917-square-foot proposed office building at 13410 Veteran's Wayas part of the Lake Nona Town Center. The estimated $35 million-$40 million project may take nearly a year-and-a-half to build, sources said.   There are no confirmed tenants for this building, Kunkle told Orlando Business Journal, and work may start as early as March 25.   However, Tavistock reportedly found a company to take all the space in the building, real estate sources said — and some industry professionals are pointing to Disney (NYSE: DIS). Tavistock and Disney reportedly are in talks for the latter to relocate office divisions from California to Lake Nona, OBJ first reported on Jan. 8, but no deal is known to have been signed."""

My thoughts this is not a spec office building but a build to suit for a major tenant and I do think it is Disney.  Lower costs, cross country move to shake some employees out of the company etc.  Major long term savings for Disney. 

Florida's Tavistock nears groundbreaking for Lake Nona office building. Some say it's for Disney. - Orlando Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Please let me know when this is confirmed. 

Will Disco the dog have a new friend maybe a large Mouse? 

IMG_0915.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:04 PM, KJHburg said:

It sounds like major Disney operations could be coming to Lake Nona Town Center. Will Disco the dog have a new friend maybe a large Mouse?

I hope so. The Town Center needs to be built out and activated. In addition to major office tenants like Disney, good retail is needed - especially a quality organic grocer like Whole Foods or The Fresh Market.  Current grocery options in Lake Nona are Publix at the high end and a value grocer called Bravo at the low end (Like Save-A-Lot, but with a Latin flair). There's also Wal Mart, which. when paired with Bravo, really doesn't do much to justify the higher prices people pay to live in Lake Nona.

There's a lot of talk about the retail and office mix going in at the Town Center, plus a nearby linear park that will connect to it, plus a transit hub. If all this comes together, Lake Nona will be a great little corner of Orlando. A meaningful transit link to downtown would be icing on the cake.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Poe Tempkin said:

A meaningful transit link to downtown would be icing on the cake.

What’s interesting is that the railroad tracks are about 1/2 mile or less away. These tracks connect directly to the Sunrail North and south line. If planned correctly a stop can be placed at the Amazon site and another at Medical City.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, prahaboheme said:

Interesting development for sure although one has to wonder, why wouldn’t Disney build out vacant space on its own property or in Celebration where it already has a presence?

One thought — perhaps the Lake Nona location could entice CA executives to relocate from Burbank.

You might be onto something with Lake Nona being an enticement. Also, maybe it's cheaper to move into rented space than to embark on construction of their own, especially given the cash flow constraints imposed by COVID, which may well be the pushing them to make the move in the first place.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, Urban Mail Carrier said:

What’s interesting is that the railroad tracks are about 1/2 mile or less away. These tracks connect directly to the Sunrail North and south line. If planned correctly a stop can be placed at the Amazon site and another at Medical City.

What runs on those tracks today?

• Thanks 1

These tracks lead directly to the Stanton Energy power Plant and they guide OUC coal laden trains. OUC have already leased part of the tracks to BRIGHTLINE. Thus I’m certain they will be just as receptive in allowing SUNRAIL use the tracks in an eventual expansion.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier