Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

Then surely it’s a line that OUC May be looking to sell or at least rent.  It’s very valuable!! Driving through Lake Nona the other day I was able to see for myself how close it is from Amazon and Medical City. It’s almost to good to be true. Amazon plans to expand and Disney “may “ be moving some of its corporate offices to the Lake Nona town center which is directly across the street from the Medical City. The planets are aligning.... :D 

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Then surely it’s a line that OUC May be looking to sell or at least rent.  It’s very valuable!! Driving through Lake Nona the other day I was able to see for myself how close it is from Amazon and Medical City. It’s almost to good to be true. Amazon plans to expand and Disney “may “ be moving some of its corporate offices to the Lake Nona town center which is directly across the street from the Medical City. The planets are aligning.... :D 

Interestingly my understanding is OUC already said no to that. Brightline is going to be renting the adjacent space in the easement and building 2 additional sets of tracks in it. Brightline was targeting a 2024 launch so I don't know if its all about getting it 3 years earlier (assuming no Brightline delays)? Either that or OUC is expecting to be late on  their deadline or something.

9 hours ago, aent said:

Interestingly my understanding is OUC already said no to that. Brightline is going to be renting the adjacent space in the easement and building 2 additional sets of tracks in it. Brightline was targeting a 2024 launch so I don't know if its all about getting it 3 years earlier (assuming no Brightline delays)? Either that or OUC is expecting to be late on  their deadline or something.

I think OUC was thinking they were gonna need their line before Brightline wanted to operate.  Also 2027 is assuming there's not delays from OUC too.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Looks nearly identical to the renderings from a closer up view.

And sadly, more interesting than anything built downtown in recent memory.

Its hard to tell but it looks like in the rendering, the units were part of the wave. In the photos, the wave was achieved with "fins" on the end of the middle. 

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Looks nearly identical to the renderings from a closer up view.

And sadly, more interesting than anything built downtown in recent memory.

I assume you're right. I seldom wander out to Nona so I've not seen this thing close up. I'll make a point to do that when it is done. It seems it would have been more "interesting" if they had stuck with including the units in the waves as @jack pointed out. Even so, I'm not sure this is more "interesting" than CSP.

• 2 months later...

In my humble opinion,

Lake Nona may be the most significant urban development project in Orlando. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention here. Some of the more recent renderings for the greenlink and mixed use district adjacent to the town center bring a lot of hope for a modern urban future in Orlando. So much value Lake Nona has to bring in terms of Urbanism and mobility. Hoping the city and residents don't oppose the increased density and Innovative Ideas!

image.thumb.png.6258db8a2cef43018410cb63536664d6.pngimage.thumb.png.9800cf922bb2b420f31e7f9a5ac88259.pngimage.thumb.png.57979c463e936a6adb616af62c4dc8c2.pngimage.thumb.png.ae9b5e19d6aeff194024744fce2f6aa7.png

https://www.lakenona.com/articles/lake-nonas-greenlink-reinvents-resident-recreation-and-mobility/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Urbo said:

In my humble opinion,

Lake Nona may be the most significant urban development project in Orlando. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention here. Some of the more recent renderings for the greenlink and mixed use district adjacent to the town center bring a lot of hope for a modern urban future in Orlando. So much value Lake Nona has to bring in terms of Urbanism and mobility. Hoping the city and residents don't oppose the increased density and Innovative Ideas

Welcome to UP, Urbo! Haven't seen those renders before, thanks for sharing. 

Lake Nona definitely has a lot of potential. It's biggest problem is that the urban component is still in it's infancy, so people don't have a reason to explore it. As it matures I hope they're able to create some unique attractors that make it a destination rather that a dense suburb. If Lake Nona was it's own city rather than a neighborhood of Orlando it may have a better chance. Lake Nona also needs a dedicated connection to Downtown Orlando that doesn't rely on driving a car. Without any forms of transit it's success will be limited. 

• Like 1

Welcome, @Urbo!

8 hours ago, WAJAS said:

I like the idea of Lake Nona, but you can't ignore that it is yet another node in a region that has tons of them. If you want density, invest in a single CBD.

Then again, Orlando has always been multi-nodal since Disney arrived.

Orlando was always multi-nodal. Look where the citrus packing houses were, where Martin located, FTU, McCoy AFB. It’s in our DNA. The 

Edited by spenser1058
The culture of the community split even earlier as Orlando and Winter Park grew up together, yet very differently. One was a typical southern agricultural town, the other a northern developer’s getaway.

Thanks for the welcome you'll. I'm excited to engage!

12 hours ago, WAJAS said:

I like the idea of Lake Nona, but you can't ignore that it is yet another node in a region that has tons of them. If you want density, invest in a single CBD.

Then again, Orlando has always been multi-nodal since Disney arrived.

I agree, investment in a Single CBD or Multiple Adjacent Districts (Downtown, Midtown, Uptown) provides the best urban development patterns and outcomes. But as you stated Orlando, is very multi-nodal. Although there are more nodes in the region, I don't think many, if any compare to the value Lake Nona brings to the region as a whole.  Lake Nona may be at the forefront of what a highly successful Aerotropolis model could be in America. In addition, Lilium Lake Nona Vertiport, one of the largest actively running autonomous vehicle fleets in the country, Brightline in the backyard, and a town center and mixed-use district that can offer regional entertainment, shopping, and destination options, makes Lake Nona is a very underrated urban development project. While Orlando will never compete with New York, Chicago, D.C., Boston, heck even L.A. Miami, or Atlanta in regards to traditional mobility options and urbanism, Lake Nona may be positioned to be a leader in the future of mobility for cities.

4 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Welcome to UP, Urbo! Haven't seen those renders before, thanks for sharing. 

Lake Nona definitely has a lot of potential. It's biggest problem is that the urban component is still in it's infancy, so people don't have a reason to explore it. As it matures I hope they're able to create some unique attractors that make it a destination rather that a dense suburb. If Lake Nona was it's own city rather than a neighborhood of Orlando it may have a better chance. Lake Nona also needs a dedicated connection to Downtown Orlando that doesn't rely on driving a car. Without any forms of transit it's success will be limited. 

Great Points! I agree Lake Nona is in its very infant stages, but my thought is in 15-20 years closer to full build out, Lake Nona may bring more value to the urban environment in Orlando and more diversity to its economy than the development projects in the city core. For one, the Tech, Medical/Health and Fitness hub Lake Nona is creating will outperform any initiative the central city to create a sophisticated tech or business hub (Lake Nona maybe be the birth of a mini research Triangle Park in Raleigh, North Carolina).  Essentially, outside of NBA, MLS, and Sunrail, in 15 years what will Downtown Orlando have to offer, that Lake Nona won't have?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Urbo said:

In my humble opinion,

Lake Nona may be the most significant urban development project in Orlando. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention here. Some of the more recent renderings for the greenlink and mixed use district adjacent to the town center bring a lot of hope for a modern urban future in Orlando. So much value Lake Nona has to bring in terms of Urbanism and mobility. Hoping the city and residents don't oppose the increased density and Innovative Ideas!

https://www.lakenona.com/articles/lake-nonas-greenlink-reinvents-resident-recreation-and-mobility/

Welcome to UP. We all have our pet projects, but you're right, Lake Nona doesn't get much attention here so that's why people in the know like yourself should feel free to champion the cause. Please keep us in the loop.

Personally Lake Nona was never my cup of tea due to its somewhat remote location (makes me think of hardcore suburbia), lack of old/historic homes & building stock, very few restaurants/shops, lack of proximity to work, etc. but I still want to see it succeed. Downtown Orlando is taking long enough to fully develop/come into its own and I just don't have the energy to wait for Lake Nona to come up to par lol.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Urbo said:

In my humble opinion,

image.thumb.png.6258db8a2cef43018410cb63536664d6.pngimage.thumb.png.9800cf922bb2b420f31e7f9a5ac88259.pngimage.thumb.png.57979c463e936a6adb616af62c4dc8c2.pngimage.thumb.png.ae9b5e19d6aeff194024744fce2f6aa7.png

I feel like people on UP have a lowkey resentment for places like Lake Nona and Avalon Park. They dismiss them as suburbia and Stepford Wives-ish and perhaps they don’t like any attention or resources being pulled away from downtown Orlando. Who knows? I adore Lake Nona and given the chance, I’d move there 10/10 times over downtown or anywhere else in Orlando’s core.

1 minute ago, Uncommon said:

I feel like people on UP have a lowkey resentment for places like Lake Nona and Avalon Park. They dismiss them as suburbia and Stepford Wives-ish and perhaps they don’t like any attention or resources being pulled away from downtown Orlando. Who knows? I adore Lake Nona and given the chance, I’d move there 10/10 times over downtown or anywhere else in Orlando’s core.

Can't speak for anyone else and I hope Lake Nona succeeds. Personally, if I had the money I'd much rather live in Winter Park proper than downtown especially as I get older. There's no right or wrong preference and to each his/her own (although some people tend to get a little tribal over such things lol).

Genuinely curious, can you share what attracts you to Lake Nona? I think I've only met a 2 people that wanted to move there, one person works at the airport and the other person likes new construction and being close to the medical city.

23 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

My biggest gripe with the possibility of living in Lake Nona is the complete and utter reliance on toll roads to get anywhere outside of the LN bubble. What really annoys me is that despite having to pay expensive tolls, you still have to endure nasty traffic. I'll never get over having to pay a premium  to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. 

14 minutes ago, KnightBay said:

My biggest gripe with the possibility of living in Lake Nona is the complete and utter reliance on toll roads to get anywhere outside of the LN bubble. What really annoys me is that despite having to pay expensive tolls, you still have to endure nasty traffic. I'll never get over having to pay a premium  to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. 

Tolls are a killer, and moving across town can be terrible. But I blame this on the horrifying street network of the Orlando Region. Orlando just doesn't have amazing bones for the "Traditional Centralized Urban City" (lack of urban fabric and street grid.)  Which I why I believe Orlando should embrace its Multi-Nodal nature and future mobility solutions. Urbanize the Nodes!! Sun-Rail is a decent foundation for a prosperous transit system.  As the Transit and Development communities grow here, the more likely the rail connections will expand across the city so Tolls and cars are no loner the only option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2