Lake Nona - Medical City

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Can't speak for anyone else and I hope Lake Nona succeeds. Personally, if I had the money I'd much rather live in Winter Park proper than downtown especially as I get older. There's no right or wrong preference and to each his/her own (although some people tend to get a little tribal over such things lol).

Genuinely curious, can you share what attracts you to Lake Nona? I think I've only met a 2 people that wanted to move there, one person works at the airport and the other person likes new construction and being close to the medical city.

What makes Lake Nona attractive for me is that it’s very clean, new, safe, relatively affordable compared to nice neighborhoods in Orlando’s core, no bums anywhere near the area, many of the homes have garages tucked away in the back of the home and therefore no clutter of cars, and its downtown area is upscale. The same can be said for Avalon Park.

In contrast, downtown Orlando is rowdy and lacks class, there’s always cars zooming by, too many homeless people and shady characters for my taste, and there have been numerous instances of violence throughout the years; hell, a man was killed there just last week.

I also like Winter Park but the upscale areas are much more expensive. Given the choice, I’d choose WP. But Lake Nona is one of the fastest-growing regions in Orlando for a reason. It’s a very desirable area.

• Like 1

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few renderings from earlier this year of a possible office building likely located in the town center (6718 Tavistock Lakes Blvd, Orlando, FL 32827 I'm guessing is the address) for now dubbed as "Th

I’ll consider Lake Nona great when  SUNRAIL opens an official train station at the town center. 

One Performance Plaza will further Lake Nona's Medical, Sports and Wellness brand. This will be a modern "medically-integrated sports, performance and rehabilitation center. " This building will have

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

What makes Lake Nona attractive for me is that it’s very clean, new, safe, relatively affordable compared to nice neighborhoods in Orlando’s core, no bums anywhere near the area, many of the homes have garages tucked away in the back of the home and therefore no clutter of cars, and its downtown area is upscale. The same can be said for Avalon Park.

In contrast, downtown Orlando is rowdy and lacks class, there’s always cars zooming by, too many homeless people and shady characters for my taste, and there have been numerous instances of violence throughout the years; hell, a man was killed there just last week.

I also like Winter Park but the upscale areas are much more expensive. Given the choice, I’d choose WP. But Lake Nona is one of the fastest-growing regions in Orlando for a reason. It’s a very desirable area.

Heck, why not go all the way like Sandy Springs, GA and get your own private government? I know the Stepford lifestyle is attractive to many but thank you, I’ll pass. We’re fortunate to have several “midway” options, too, like College Park, downtown Winter Garden and (Delightful!) DeLand. ‘Tis a privilege to live in Central Florida.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Heck, why not go all the way like Sandy Springs, GA and get your own private government? I know the Stepford lifestyle is attractive to many but thank you, I’ll pass. We’re fortunate to have several “midway” options, too, like College Park, downtown Winter Garden and (Delightful!) DeLand. ‘Tis a privilege to live in Central Florida.

All great places to live! I can like Lake Nona and still view other parts of Orlando as nice! But the hate and denigration Lake Nona gets (for example, this post) is silly.

• Confused 1
31 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

All great places to live! I can like Lake Nona and still view other parts of Orlando as nice! But the hate and denigration Lake Nona gets (for example, this post) is silly.

I give Nona full credit for creating a community that is offering something more than just gated subdivisions. The employment component and some interesting urban technologies are great. At the end of the day, it’s targeted to a very specific audience, though, and I acknowledge I like a little more history, a little more diversity and a little more experiential life than what it offers. But, to each their own.

With Tavistock’s resources, I imagine what they might have been able to do if they worked with GOAA to bring some air service back to Herndon (like Southwest returning to Houston Hobby) and built something around that in the very diverse neighborhood that surrounds it. Oh well, it is what it is.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Uncommon said:

I agree with many points made. For me, Lake Nona (Town Center, Laureate Park, Medical City, Sports District, and the upcoming neighborhoods in Poitras, and the Mixed-Use District/Greenlink area) offers one of the highest quality urban lifestyles in Central Florida. The subjective elements of great neighborhoods will always vary like style and taste. But the objective nature of great neighborhoods such as safety, high quality design, mixed use development, diverse housing options, walkability, access to green space, sense of community, and quality of life, all exists in Lake Nona at a high level (maybe not the highest, but top 3 no doubt). The design (not style) sets Lake Nona apart, its intentional and at the human scale. In addition the level of innovation from an economic and development perspective may be unmatched in the region. Its not perfect, and there are numerous flaws from an urban perspective. But from the choices that Orlando and Central Florida has to offer, its definitely a top choice. 

• Like 1

+1 for LN

Lake Nona is in the city limits and adjacent to one of the largest economic engines in the state.  It arguably has and is building the most technologically advanced transportation network in the country, with self driving automobiles within walking distance to thousands of homes, apartments, two hospitals, an outdoor adventure park (wake boarding, ball fields) and a growing town center, with expansion planned.  And a drone/air taxi system in advance planning to the space coast and other cities.  

it’s Orlando’s nascent answer to Austin. The research triangle, and Silicon Valley and is only getting better with seemingly weekly news job announcements.

Paying tolls on the 417, will soon be no different than tolls on I-4, and 417 is a straight shot to the Disney area, with easy access to most other parts of town.  And closer to the Atlantic beaches. 

Art is in the community’s DNA, good public schools, and has partnerships with community institutions,.

It’s a diverse community and doesn’t have the historical stigma of segregation that places like downtown and winter park do, as Lake Nona ‘s neighborhoods have always been welcoming to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, tm68 said:

+1 for LN

Lake Nona is in the city limits and adjacent to one of the largest economic engines in the state.  It arguably has and is building the most technologically advanced transportation network in the country, with self driving automobiles within walking distance to thousands of homes, apartments, two hospitals, an outdoor adventure park (wake boarding, ball fields) and a growing town center, with expansion planned.  And a drone/air taxi system in advance planning to the space coast and other cities.  

it’s Orlando’s nascent answer to Austin. The research triangle, and Silicon Valley and is only getting better with seemingly weekly news job announcements.

Paying tolls on the 417, will soon be no different than tolls on I-4, and 417 is a straight shot to the Disney area, with easy access to most other parts of town.  And closer to the Atlantic beaches. 

Art is in the community’s DNA, good public schools, and has partnerships with community institutions,.

It’s a diverse community and doesn’t have the historical stigma of segregation that places like downtown and winter park do, as Lake Nona ‘s neighborhoods have always been welcoming to all.

Not sure I agree with your last paragraph. I don’t think Lake Nona is that diverse, and even though there’s not a history of segregation, there is kind of a low-key, underlying aspect of it. I also wouldn’t call that area welcoming per se, considering there is an income limit to live there if I’m not mistaken. It’s clear that they want to keep a certain segment of the population out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, tm68 said:

+1 for LN

I have nothing against Lake Nona and I hope it is very successful but I don't understand all of the praise that it receives. Lake Nona today is a half baked concept but it receives immense amounts of praise based on potential. True, it has tremendous potential but a lot of areas have great potential. Will it come into fruition? I don't know, maybe. Also, Orlando's Silicon Valley? Come on, let's come back down to reality a little bit here. 

Paying tolls on the 417 is the same experience as I4? You will sit in traffic on both but at least on I4 you have the option of not paying for tolls. You make it sound like only the 417 has access to Disney while I4 doesn't? What? According to Google Maps just now, Lake Nona is only 7 minutes closer to Cocoa Beach than it is from Downtown Orlando. 

Again, Lake Nona is a great neighborhood but some of these posts that try to sell it as the next urban utopia go a little too far into dreamland for me. 

Edit: I totally missed the art DNA in Lake Nona. Sure, LN has a disco dog, a fancy parking garage, and a wall with painted wings on it for the Gram. Is that all it takes to have artistic DNA nowadays?

Edited by KnightBay
Punctuation
  • Like 1

I think the whole point is Lake Nona is building a city that is designed without the baggage and constraints of more traditional development of cities. Since it is pretty much a master planned city, everyone living near it was made aware of the land uses and plans before they purchase it, and thus, kind of bought into the concept, so they don't have to deal with compromises for NIMBYs.  They don't have to work around old historical stuff, or land owners who don't share the vision or who are trying to make a killing off of someone else's vision. You don't have to worry about an old shack being built in the center of the city.

Which does make it a bit different then a traditional city. But the companies locating in Lake Nona aren't interested in many other areas because of all of the issues that Lake Nona worked hard to solve. They don't want the parking issues, homeless people outside the building, etc.... Its bringing jobs and companies to Orlando that likely would not have located here without this concept as it is. If Tavistock tried to locate this near the Executive Airport as Spenser keeps trying to suggest, there's little doubt USTA, KPMG, and over half the other companies wouldn't be here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At the end of the day, everyone should have a neighborhood to call their own. Just because I personally would not live there, does not mean that I knock it. I personally do not like neighborhoods controlled by one developer and I am one. I prefer neighborhoods that develop over time with multiple groups providing input and ideas. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, KnightBay said:

I have nothing against Lake Nona and I hope it is very successful but I don't understand all of the praise that it receives. Lake Nona today is a half baked concept but it receives immense amounts of praise based on potential. True, it has tremendous potential but a lot of areas have great potential. Will it come into fruition? I don't know, maybe. Also, Orlando's Silicon Valley? Come on, let's come back down to reality a little bit here. 

Paying tolls on the 417 is the same experience as I4? You will sit in traffic on both but at least on I4 you have the option of not paying for tolls. You make it sound like only the 417 has access to Disney while I4 doesn't? What? According to Google Maps just now, Lake Nona is only 7 minutes closer to Cocoa Beach than it is from Downtown Orlando. 

Again, Lake Nona is a great neighborhood but some of these posts that try to sell it as the next urban utopia go a little too far into dreamland for me. 

Edit: I totally missed the art DNA in Lake Nona. Sure, LN has a disco dog, a fancy parking garage, and a wall with painted wings on it for the Gram. Is that all it takes to have artistic DNA nowadays?

I have everything against Lake Nona starting with the ugly name. Then, Orlando had all of that space to start something special or different and nothing and I mean nothing is different about Lake Nona. It gets entirely too much praise for being a regular community.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I have everything against Lake Nona starting with the ugly name. Then, Orlando had all of that space to start something special or different and nothing and I mean nothing is different about Lake Nona. It gets entirely too much praise for being a regular community.

LOL! do you really believe Lake Nona offers nothing special, different or unique compared to other neighborhoods? Is there not one aspect from a real estate, urban design, or community perspective that the Lake Nona area has executed well? Again, I'm not arguing its the best development in the country, but it is one of the best developments in the Orlando.

• Like 1

How this for a name:

Nona was one of the Parcae, the three personifications of destiny in Roman mythology (the Moirai in Greek mythology and in Germanic mythology, the Norns), and the Roman goddess of pregnancy. The Roman equivalent of the Greek Clotho, she spun the thread of life from her distaffonto her spindle. Nona, whose name means "ninth", was called upon by pregnant women in their ninth month when the child was due to be born.[1][2]

Lake Nona is not a run of the mill new urbanism development like Avalon Park or the other half dozen examples that come to mind in central Florida.  
It’s location adjacent to OIA also makes it incredibly convenient for business.

If Sunrail ever does expand to the southeast out to St Cloud then obviously a Lake Nona stop would make sense.

In the meantime at least it’s fun to see an area of growth that isn’t typical Orlando sprawl and continues to become a “node” in that neck of the woods.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, Urbo said:

LOL! do you really believe Lake Nona offers nothing special, different or unique compared to other neighborhoods? Is there not one aspect from a real estate, urban design, or community perspective that the Lake Nona area has executed well? Again, I'm not arguing its the best development in the country, but it is one of the best developments in the Orlando.

So what's special about it? It's an office park and some cookie-cutter subdivisions in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 3
On 5/13/2021 at 9:55 PM, F-L-A said:

So what's special about it? It's an office park and some cookie-cutter subdivisions in the middle of nowhere. 

That's a bit disingenuous. The most recent developments are not characteristic of an office park, and the current plans/construction have a very urban setting. I'd say the future of Lake Nona is less like the Lake Mary  and Maitland office parks and more like Creative Village.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WAJAS said:

That's a bit disingenuous. The most recent developments are not characteristic of an office park, and the current plans/construction have a very urban setting. I'd say the future of Lake Nona is less like the Lake Mary  and Maitland office parks and more like Creative Village.

"Potential"

It’s always been a hobby of mine to figure out why a place like Casselberry has no there there while College Park has a definite sense of place, even though both developed over roughly the same period?

Will Lake Nona be like Coral Gables, which George Merrick built from nothing in the 1920’s and is today well-recognized for the qualities that make it unique, or more like Lake Mary, which is another amorphous bedroom community that could be plopped down in just about any American MSA?

10 hours ago, WAJAS said:

What's disingenuous is basing your opinion of the place off of future plans, which may never even come to fruition, instead of what's already there as we speak. Lake Nona is very urban... if you're a cow. But they probably wouldn't consider that a good thing.

Remember when downtown Orlando was going to be "Manhattanized" by this huge growth spurt and all we actually got were three or four notable buildings? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

6 hours ago, F-L-A said:

What's disingenuous is basing your opinion of the place off of future plans, which may never even come to fruition, instead of what's already there as we speak. Lake Nona is very urban... if you're a cow. But they probably wouldn't consider that a good thing.

Remember when downtown Orlando was going to be "Manhattanized" by this huge growth spurt and all we actually got were three or four notable buildings? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

If you actually read my post, you'd see that I reference already existing development and development under construction in addition to future plans.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:55 PM, F-L-A said:

UCF Medical School

UF Research

VA Hospital

Nemours Children’s Hospital

USTA National Headquarters

KMPG training facility 

Laureate Park

Town Center / BOXI Park 

Valencia campus 

...for starters.

I don’t think that is your average office park. Nor is it considered “middle of nowhere” at this point given how sprawling Orlando metro has become. Remember, too, that it’s just south of the airport.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4