Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

On 5/17/2021 at 3:00 AM, spenser1058 said:

It’s always been a hobby of mine to figure out why a place like Casselberry has no there there while College Park has a definite sense of place, even though both developed over roughly the same period?

Will Lake Nona be like Coral Gables, which George Merrick built from nothing in the 1920’s and is today well-recognized for the qualities that make it unique, or more like Lake Mary, which is another amorphous bedroom community that could be plopped down in just about any American MSA?

Difference between Lake Mary and Lake Nona is that a single developer is calling the shots, backed by the deep pockets of Joe Lewis.  Cracks me up to no end that another developer (the Jeno's pizza roll guy) tried to do something similar in Lake Mary in the 80's and called it Heathrow, which is also the name of a  bloody nightmare clusterf*** of an airport outside of London.  Meanwhile,  Joe Lewis' company is named after Tavistock Square, a lovely square near Euston Station in a great part of town full of parks, museums, universities, and book shops.  I'm with Joe!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jliv said:

Difference between Lake Mary and Lake Nona is that a single developer is calling the shots, backed by the deep pockets of Joe Lewis.  Cracks me up to no end that another developer (the Jeno's pizza roll guy) tried to do something similar in Lake Mary in the 80's and called it Heathrow, which is also the name of a  bloody nightmare clusterf*** of an airport outside of London.  Meanwhile,  Joe Lewis' company is named after Tavistock Square, a lovely square near Euston Station in a great part of town full of parks, museums, universities, and book shops.  I'm with Joe!

Yeah, but those gold shopping carts at the Heathrow Gooding’s were amazing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like it and have been there both times on my recent visits to City Beautiful.  It is a master planned community really a town.   It helps your area attract well paying jobs.  I still think Disney will end up moving hundreds of people there into an office.  I have been to planned communities all over the country and I think it is well designed.  Reminds me of young Woodlands in Houston metro or Las Colinas in Dallas or Summerlin in Vegas.  There is a mixture of housing types, growing retail, office and medical employment.  Yes it is no International Drive LOL or Orange Blossom Trail but well thought out.  Give it time to mature and develop.  Those cow pastures will be offices and apartments soon enough.  Many corporate relocations like the fact they know what could be around them.

and yes very convenient to the airport.  

• Like 2

Latest apartments by Charlotte based Crescent Resources in Lake Nona 

""We are pleased to announce the construction of NOVEL Nona by Crescent Communities, a new mixed-use Multifamily community in #Orlando's Lake Nona area. Located along Narcoossee Road, NOVEL Nona will offer 260 residences, and will mark our fourth project in the Orlando market.""

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:11 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

Amen. In Lake Nona, I've heard rumors of a transportation or mobility hub in the Town Center. If it connected to several others throughout Orlando, we might have the beginnings of a workable transit system.

If a seperate E-W route gets built on some local rail system anytime soon, Lake Nona will most likely be a part of it. They've been part of every proposal thus far, including light rail, maglev, and the Brightline's proposed Sunrail East-West route that is out for discussion now. They've locally built transit/autonomous vehicle lanes and have the most in the nation running from my understanding using that Beep vehicle.

4 hours ago, aent said:

If a seperate E-W route gets built on some local rail system anytime soon, Lake Nona will most likely be a part of it. They've been part of every proposal thus far, including light rail, maglev, and the Brightline's proposed Sunrail East-West route that is out for discussion now. They've locally built transit/autonomous vehicle lanes and have the most in the nation running from my understanding using that Beep vehicle.

Ideally a Sunrail line (be it light rail even better) from MCO to Lake Nona and then to BVL and onto St. Cloud would service a large sector of the Southeast metro.  Considering that Lake Nona has become a medical hub and St. Cloud has become a "bedroom" community of that area, I think it would do well.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Latest apartments by Charlotte based Crescent Resources in Lake Nona 

""We are pleased to announce the construction of NOVEL Nona by Crescent Communities, a new mixed-use Multifamily community in #Orlando's Lake Nona area. Located along Narcoossee Road, NOVEL Nona will offer 260 residences, and will mark our fourth project in the Orlando market.""

Nice looking building, but this is almost four miles from the Town Center.

With all the apartments, schools, and retail filling up Narcoossee, they really need a streetcar or dedicated Lymmo route connecting Narcoossee to the Town Center and the rest of Medical City. (And I'm not talking about a 12mph automated mini shuttle.) 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:20 AM, orlandocity87 said:

Nice looking building, but this is almost four miles from the Town Center.

With all the apartments, schools, and retail filling up Narcoossee, they really need a streetcar or dedicated Lymmo route connecting Narcoossee to the Town Center and the rest of Medical City. (And I'm not talking about a 12mph automated mini shuttle.) 

Agreed. The traffic on narcoossee has more than tripled in the last few years. The city needs to be planning some kind of modified public transit system along the corridor to tie it into the town center and possibly team up with Osceola county to serve south of boggy creek road. At this point it’s not “if” but “when”. Traffic is already starting to gridlock on narcoossee and bottle necking south of boggy creek. It will only get worse as there are a number of large scale residential projects still in development.

The expressway authority is trying to expand Osceola parkway East to run along the southern boundary of lake Nona and continue east, cutting through the protected split oak forest,  to “resolve”  this traffic issue. In reality it will just create more sprawl to the south and leave the town center with less momentum to infill. Fortunately covid delayed these plans by 10 years.

Now is the time for tavistock to be working with the city of Orlando, Orange and Osceola counties, to influence the trends of these outlying developments and infrastructure projects. The success of Lake Nonas future depends on it. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 7:35 AM, Gtothree2748 said:

The city needs to be planning some kind of modified public transit system along the corridor to tie it into the town center and possibly team up with Osceola county to serve south of boggy creek road.

This is the solution. This is also the solution nobody wants. Whenever I've brought it up in a neighborhood forum, I've been met with a chorus of denouncement. The arguments run the typical gamut from "nobody will ride it" to "you don't want to bring in a criminal element". A lot of people seem to share the view that development needs to stop because automobile traffic is getting bad. In other words, now that they are here, and now that they are finding road congestion to be inconvenient, it's time to raise the drawbridge.

Edited by Poe Tempkin
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tm68 said:

Six story medical office building, One Performance Plaza, anticipated ground breaking this year.

Unless I'm mistaken this is going in directly behind the Performance Center. If I recall correctly, it will be attached. Cool stuff, and a great looking addition to the Town Center area.

15 minutes ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Unless I'm mistaken this is going in directly behind the Performance Center. If I recall correctly, it will be attached. Cool stuff, and a great looking addition to the Town Center area.

Yes

Includes 12,000 sq ft retail/restaurant 

I still don't understand why Lake Nona is even a thing. What was wrong with putting all of these buildings in downtown Orlando? It's not like DTO doesn't have enough room for development. Why essentially build a second DT for Orlando in the middle of nowhere? Makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I still don't understand why Lake Nona is even a thing. What was wrong with putting all of these buildings in downtown Orlando? It's not like DTO doesn't have enough room for development. Why essentially build a second DT for Orlando in the middle of nowhere? Makes no sense.

Tavistock makes more money this way - they’re doing what developers do. And if no one even tries to steer developers in a better, more environmentally-friendly direction that builds the community, it will always be thus. 

7 hours ago, orange87 said:

The land is far cheaper. Developers can purchase for pennies on the dollar and then sell at a premium to all the rich suburbanites that don’t want to live downtown. If they wanted to, they wouldn’t be suburbanites. These ones want to live away from the city, the poor, minorities, homeless, crime, and noise, into an oasis where everything is new, shiny, upscale, and (often) whitewashed.

There will always be a market for the rich that want to be isolated. As long as people like that exist, places like Lake Nona be always be popular with some.

• Thanks 1