Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

An interesting look at who’s moving from Cali, who’s not and the attitudes of both as the Mouse works to relocate about 5% * of Golden State staffing (but about 90% of Imagineering):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-disney-lake-nona-relocation-update-20211102-kslfkec4ivhkfcgel6nsvcigci-story.html

From the Sentinel 

*If that includes head count of hourly cast at Disneyland, that of course dilutes the actual impact.

Lake Nona may be many things but apparently there’s very little civic interest over there. So far, of the three Orlando districts voting, District 1’s the worst at 7% turnout.

District 3, otoh, is sitting at a robust 17% turnout right now. Go Nicolette!

That, of course, is one more reason I would not want to live in Nona. What happens in my community is hugely important to me. To each their own, however.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Lake Nona may be many things but apparently there’s very little civic interest over there. So far, of the three Orlando districts voting, District 1’s the worst at 7% turnout.

District 3, otoh, is sitting at a robust 17% turnout right now. Go Nicolette!

That, of course, is one more reason I would not want to live in Nona. What happens in my community is hugely important to me. To each their own, however.

It could be a reflection of the candidates. District 3 has quality candidates and a competitive race, District 1 does not. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

C’mon @jack - surely you’re a big Jim Gray fan!

I have no problems with him and I am sure most of his constituents do not either. I was referring to his competitors. If you are happy, why change. 

Stuart on the other hand looks like he has real competition. I don't live in his district and do not follow CP politics so I don't know what their beef is.  Besides the Rosemont golf course redevelopment. 

What’s funny is that one of our more strident posters was quoting Gray’s opponents the other day on here as if anyone took them seriously (neither is regarded as a particularly serious candidate).

Your point is valid (although I believe in voting no matter how weak the opposition might be - remember, Trump had no prayer of winning in 2016, right?) However, District 1 (and Nona in particular) has turned out weak numbers for several cycles now.

As to District 3, the Sentinel called Robert out for our usual problem these days, not doing much.

He’s also supposed to be a Democrat but his recent dirty tricks are from the GOP playbook, not ours (no, everyone doesn’t do it like the Roger Stone wing of the Republicans). That doesn’t play well with Democrats.

He also is more than a little tone deaf. In a diverse district, he decided to go to war with Savoy (a gay club on Orange Ave.) While the Republicans in District 1 might be ok with that, it doesn’t work well in an intown district. Robert needs to get out beyond College Park Baptist a little more.

He also didn’t navigate the Rosemont Rose Art situation well (although maybe no one could).

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...

Lots of details on the new government center and 20000sf library. That’s huge for a branch library. I remember the Pine Hills library when I was a kid wasn’t much bigger than a closet.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-lake-nona-library-20211223-bd23hjgsdjhmhplv34zzsxjiea-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Lots of details on the new government center and 20000sf library. That’s huge for a branch library. I remember the Pine Hills library when I was a kid wasn’t much bigger than a closet.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-lake-nona-library-20211223-bd23hjgsdjhmhplv34zzsxjiea-story.html

From The Sentinel 

What’s behind the paywall for those of us who don’t subscribe?

“City officials are hopeful the campus will be built by mid-2024, which also will have public meeting space, a police department substation and offices for code enforcement, permitting and the District 1 City Commissioner Jim Gray.

“It’s going to be designed as a campus, where the library and government services building will have a lot of shared spaces,” said Alan Oyler, the project manager for the city. “Many times the same services that are being provided here are being provided by our recreational facilities.”

Fun Fact: Alan and I worked together at 20K in the Magic Kingdom when we were in college.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Looking the pics of the land use around the new hotel begs a question:  have they cancelled the retail/cinema portion of the Town Center development?  Tavistock was planning quite a substantial mixed-use development around the hotel, where it seems they've planted a lot of trees!

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jliv said:

Looking the pics at the land use around the new hotel begs a question:  have they cancelled the retail/cinema portion of the Town Center development?  Tavistock was planning quite a substantial mixed-use development around the hotel, where it seems they've planted a lot of trees!

I remember when they were even tossing around the idea of a macy’s, but that definitely disappeared.

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Looking the pics of the land use around the new hotel begs a question:  have they cancelled the retail/cinema portion of the Town Center development?  Tavistock was planning quite a substantial mixed-use development around the hotel, where it seems they've planted a lot of trees!

This was one of the first things I noticed. They’ve planted a lot of trees between the the code wall garage and the Wave hotel. I’m sure the pandemic has prompted more open/green space in the planning and design of the town center. Below seems to be the current framework for the town center/lake Nona south. It appears the plan is the greenlink will cut through the town center via a bridge over Lake Nona Blvd. Maybe they will create a small park in the middle of the town center where the green link terminates (just an thought). While I don’t think the town center will see a cinema, Tavistock/Lake Nona continues to have very high demand for office and will likely create more office with retail/dining on the ground floor. I do think an organic/specialty grocer (Whole Foods/Trader Joe’s), a permanent food hall (once boxi’s permit expires) entertainment/music venue, and museum could all be in the works in the future. 

image.thumb.jpeg.638ffe2bbcf69dbaa7a5a06a04e17810.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3186b297426f0711afcf8fdcace852b0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

At last week's MPB, maximum building heights were recommended for increase for parcel 22B, to 20 stories.  This is an increase of ten stories, and now has the highest allowed height in the development. (22A is 17 stories.)  Someone on the board asked if this was theoretical need, but staff said it would enable the developer to submit a project they are working on now. 

22b.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, smileguy said:

At last week's MPB, maximum building heights were recommended for increase for parcel 22B, to 20 stories.  This is an increase of ten stories, and now has the highest allowed height in the development. (22A is 17 stories.)  Someone on the board asked if this was theoretical need, but staff said it would enable the developer to submit a project they are working on now. 

22b.PNG

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-lake-nona-tower-20211223-xrd5363nw5fmvd2b7mvmlciwqe-story.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The 20-story building would still comply with the Airport Height Zoning Ordinance and would be entitled to receive FAA clearance for up to 205 feet, according to the staff report.”

According to GS, the Disney campus and SIMCOM Aviation Training HQ were factors in the decision to add more density and height to the town center. 

Edited by Gtothree2748

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

22b.PNG

Yes its for the specific project below. Will likely have some design tweaks since plans were submitted back in 2018. It will be the tallest building in Lake Nona.

image.thumb.png.ae2c56385949e74bdd2822917a612a9a.png

image.png.6f53324774815755b202e761960be945.pngimage.thumb.png.458f07565eb65cea9118175e8d9bebe1.png

image.thumb.png.00c47ccd93cc837fa78b5ddb894c0155.pngimage.thumb.png.b3bb021699812b8533ab8e9231df56b2.png

image.thumb.png.69fe373c68d815c4b46820fb4d09cd01.png

• Like 1