Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

15 minutes ago, Gtothree2748 said:

I believe it’s a new design altogether,  replacing the design from 2018. That one is half the height. 

I don’t think the design will change much outside of adding some more height. But maybe, if it is a new design hopefully they wrap the building around the garage. 

• Like 2

Just now, prahaboheme said:

Is the Wave Hotel now open and if so, does anyone have first impressions?

Yes the hotel is open. I would say they are about 90% done. They still have to finish The 3rd restaurant Haven with the rooftop pool and cabanas, and some of the additional ground floor spaces is still to be completed. Once the place is 100% completed I will upload pictures .

my first impression is that this is by far one of the best hotels in Orlando (specifically boutique hotels). The sculpture garden is gorgeous and will easily be one of Orlando most instagramable spots once the word gets out. It’s a mini outdoor museum and the plethora of palm trees actually provide shade and gives it a very tranquil vibe.  Tavistock has emphasized art in this project. The interior lobby is full of art, from the ceilings to the floors almost the entire interior is decorated with some type of art. It’s very well designed, and gives off a very trendy upscale modern aurora. The lighting through the entire project combined with the art really makes the place pop and gives it a great ambiance. They do have a few gathering/ meeting spaces and a ballroom but the lobby along with the living room bar is pretty small (it’s very well design but when you walk in the front you have about 20 steps before you walk outside on the other end to the sculpture garden). The Bacan restaurant includes more art and a bar that overlooks the open kitchen, it’s a nice fine dining option but rather expensive.  The first floor of the hotel is very inviting even if you aren’t a guest, it honestly doesn’t feel like a hotel and instead an upscale art and dining infused hangout.  

Overall this is one of the best developments Orlando has seen over the past few years in my opinion. The attention to detail and design are outstanding. The architecture is refreshing for Orlando. Reality came out pretty damn close if not better than the renderings (one of the few projects where the design actually got better as progress was made).  I was very amazed with the sculpture garden even though it’s not huge, to have $1million+ of art outside for anyone to enjoy is a great addition. You can see that Lake Nona is proving itself as a viable location for a museum since it missed out on the Orlando Museum  of Art expansion. The rooms are very tech savvy and modern. Didn’t get a chance to view but they say the penthouse is one of the best rooms you can book in Orlando at over $5k a night. 

more photos of the hotel will follow in a few weeks once it’s 100% completed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Urbo said:

Yes the hotel is open. I would say they are about 90% done. They still have to finish The 3rd restaurant Haven with the rooftop pool and cabanas, and some of the additional ground floor spaces is still to be completed. Once the place is 100% completed I will upload pictures .

my first impression is that this is by far one of the best hotels in Orlando (specifically boutique hotels). The sculpture garden is gorgeous and will easily be one of Orlando most instagramable spots once the word gets out. It’s a mini outdoor museum and the plethora of palm trees actually provide shade and gives it a very tranquil vibe.  Tavistock has emphasized art in this project. The interior lobby is full of art, from the ceilings to the floors almost the entire interior is decorated with some type of art. It’s very well designed, and gives off a very trendy upscale modern aurora. The lighting through the entire project combined with the art really makes the place pop and gives it a great ambiance. They do have a few gathering/ meeting spaces and a ballroom but the lobby along with the living room bar is pretty small (it’s very well design but when you walk in the front you have about 20 steps before you walk outside on the other end to the sculpture garden). The Bacan restaurant includes more art and a bar that overlooks the open kitchen, it’s a nice fine dining option but rather expensive.  The first floor of the hotel is very inviting even if you aren’t a guest, it honestly doesn’t feel like a hotel and instead an upscale art and dining infused hangout.  

Overall this is one of the best developments Orlando has seen over the past few years in my opinion. The attention to detail and design are outstanding. The architecture is refreshing for Orlando. Reality came out pretty damn close if not better than the renderings (one of the few projects where the design actually got better as progress was made).  I was very amazed with the sculpture garden even though it’s not huge, to have $1million+ of art outside for anyone to enjoy is a great addition. You can see that Lake Nona is proving itself as a viable location for a museum since it missed out on the Orlando Museum  of Art expansion. The rooms are very tech savvy and modern. Didn’t get a chance to view but they say the penthouse is one of the best rooms you can book in Orlando at over $5k a night. 

more photos of the hotel will follow in a few weeks once it’s 100% completed. 

I hope they are paying you! :)

Just kidding — it’s always good to be excited about something in your backyard.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Back in the City Beautiful and since I drove up from South Florida and came into the area via US 192 I went by Lake Nona.  The town center is looking great the new Wave Hotel and 2 office buildings going up.  (One of those I think is for Disney or maybe both)  (does anyone know for sure?) 

Had to park at the top of the Wave hotel parking deck so I got some overviews of the town center.  It cracks me up to see those cows grazing but I think one of you said it was for agricultural purposes.  Anybody moving from Burbank with Disney should be very happy to come here.   I will tour around more tomorrow and to see where I have been in Florida already check the Jacksonville UP or South Florida Miami threads. 

Really love the designs of the buildings out there in Lake Nona great planning.  You may not know it but this is one of the best planned communities in the country going right now and I have been to a lot lately.   

Lots of photos but I am tourist and what is with this cool gray day?  I see now the sun is popping out.  

IMG_8947.JPG

IMG_8948.JPG

IMG_8949.JPG

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

IMG_8953.JPG

IMG_8954.JPG

IMG_8955.JPG

IMG_8956.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

IMG_8965.JPG

IMG_8966.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

IMG_8968.JPG

IMG_8969.JPG

IMG_8970.JPG

IMG_8972.JPG

IMG_8973.JPG

IMG_8974.JPG

IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

IMG_8978.JPG

IMG_8979.JPG

IMG_8980.JPG

IMG_8981.JPG

IMG_8982.JPG

IMG_8983.JPG

IMG_8984.JPG

IMG_8985.JPG

IMG_8986.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

IMG_8989.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

IMG_8993.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

IMG_8996.JPG

IMG_8997.JPG

IMG_8998.JPG

IMG_9000.JPG

IMG_9001.JPG

IMG_9003.JPG

IMG_9004.JPG

IMG_9005.JPG

IMG_9006.JPG

IMG_9007.JPG

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG

IMG_9011.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9013.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

Thank you for posting all of these pics.   It gives a real nice overview 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Haven Lounge in the Wave is set to up open in a few weeks (think they are shooting for 3/10 date). Construction is pretty much finished and the renderings don't do it justice. The the aesthetic of this place is rare for Orlando and it will definitely top the list for the best upscale bar/lounge in Orlando. Glad to see Tavistock furthering their commitment to art, placemaking and high quality design.  Hope to see more projects like this in the core of Orlando, but will surely take it in Lake Nona for now!

havenlounge2.jpg

havenlounge3.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

As much as I hate Lake Nona, this is the kind of development I like to see. Go Skylar

Yes, very happy to see mixed use dense development continue in Lake Nona.

It’s just a matter of time before you come to love it! It’s kinda getting hard not to considering the type of development we are use to seeing in central florida. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Urbo said:

Yes, very happy to see mixed use dense development continue in Lake Nona.

It’s just a matter of time before you come to love it! It’s kinda getting hard not to considering the type of development we are use to seeing in central florida. 

I think Lake Nona should be it’s own city. I think that’s why it feels off to me. It’s got a lot of good bones, it needs a city hall and government services there to make it feel more authentic. 

• Thanks 1

I love mixed-use.  The retail here is awesome.  That's a lot of retail space on the ground floor. 

The mixed types of homes seems really weird, though.  "Have you seen our eight townhomes?  Yes, there are only eight.  As a bonus the only thing you can see out of your rear windows are three 200'-250' tall apartment buildings with more than 600 units.  Out of your front windows there is  a 70' tall building.   As a bonus, the rear buildings are oriented East/South of you, so your townhouse will be in full shade most of the day except the hottest days of summer!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The mixed types of homes seems really weird, though.  "Have you seen our eight townhomes?  Yes, there are only eight.  As a bonus the only thing you can see out of your rear windows are three 200'-250' tall apartment buildings with more than 600 units.  Out of your front windows there is  a 70' tall building.   As a bonus, the rear buildings are oriented East/South of you, so your townhouse will be in full shade most of the day except the hottest days of summer!"

Ah yes, I can't wait to walk out of my $800,000 yard-less townhouse to see the Landon House parking deck on one side, or the Skylar parking deck that overlooks the amenity area I share with 600 apartments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

I think Lake Nona should be it’s own city. I think that’s why it feels off to me. It’s got a lot of good bones, it needs a city hall and government services there to make it feel more authentic. 

But why would you want one of the City of Orlando's economic hubs, lucrative tax base and one of the top selling communities in the nation to leave the city limits? seems like it would do more damage than good...Lake Nona is a net positive to Orlando, its great that its apart of the city and helping brand Orlando outside of tourism.

1 hour ago, orlandocity87 said:

Ah yes, I can't wait to walk out of my $800,000 yard-less townhouse to see the Landon House parking deck on one side, or the Skylar parking deck that overlooks the amenity area I share with 600 apartments. 

The townhomes are TBD on whether it will be for sale or for rent. The idea of the "Yard-less" townhouse is that it will have direct connection to the Greenlink which will promote a better public realm and community versus having private yards. There are many amenities and greenspace that will surround the townhomes so going without the yard is not a problem. And im sure they wont have any issues with selling or renting those units. There will be many more options for people who want large private yards in the rest of Orlando suburbia. But providing housing variety is key to making a great neighborhood/community. The fact they are including more choice for people is great. There are far worst townhomes with worst views in Orlando. I think this development plan is actually a great addition to Lake Nona.

1 hour ago, Urbo said:

The townhomes are TBD on whether it will be for sale or for rent. The idea of the "Yard-less" townhouse is that it will have direct connection to the Greenlink which will promote a better public realm and community versus having private yards. There are many amenities and greenspace that will surround the townhomes so going without the yard is not a problem. And im sure they wont have any issues with selling or renting those units. There will be many more options for people who want large private yards in the rest of Orlando suburbia. But providing housing variety is key to making a great neighborhood/community. The fact they are including more choice for people is great. There are far worst townhomes with worst views in Orlando. I think this development plan is actually a great addition to Lake Nona.

No doubt they'll be nice and sell or rent quickly. The GreeLink will be cool.

That said, what irks me most about Lake Nona's urban planning is the complete disregard for street hierarchy and form-based transects. E.g. Two-story townhomes don't belong next to a seven-story parking garage and an 18-story tower; the GreenLink should have been planned to take the place of one of the major boulevards or parkways, not squeezed in behind a C-street that will primarily service parking garages. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tm68 said:

Two story townhouse next to a parking garage and 18-story tower?? Wow that sounds just like Thornton par…ehh Eola south.  There’s a horrible neighborhood 

You’re going to have to explain that one to me.

Is there any urban area out there that doesn’t have a variety of housing styles within proximity to each other? Or to phrase it another way, are the most popular areas of any given city one type of housing that excludes others?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

You’re going to have to explain that one to me.

Is there any urban area out there that doesn’t have a variety of housing styles within proximity to each other? Or to phrase it another way, are the most popular areas of any given city one type of housing that excludes others?

I believe @tm68said that tongue-in-cheek, in response to 

2 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

That said, what irks me most about Lake Nona's urban planning is the complete disregard for street hierarchy and form-based transects. E.g. Two-story townhomes don't belong next to a seven-story parking garage and an 18-story tower; the GreenLink should have been planned to take the place of one of the major boulevards or parkways, not squeezed in behind a C-street that will primarily service parking garages.