Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

11 hours ago, Urbo said:

But why would you want one of the City of Orlando's economic hubs, lucrative tax base and one of the top selling communities in the nation to leave the city limits? seems like it would do more damage than good...Lake Nona is a net positive to Orlando, its great that its apart of the city and helping brand Orlando outside of tourism.

Its less a we want them to leave vs they will choose to leave on their own. It almost always happens. 

Areas like that that grow so large and are truly diversified will not see any value in staying within a larger city. Especially if they start to have city problems like crime. Like Buckhead. 

6 hours ago, tm68 said:

Yes Praha, I was trying to be humerous without calling anyone out as uncreative username stated.

Tavistock does a pretty good job of involving different architects and designers to add character and variety to this area .  it definitely helps make LN less cookie cutter.  

what other developer in town has a history of making things larger, taller, and better at the end instead of value engineering?  The wave, the newest office building and this project all have a history of getting taller rather than smaller.

it’s the “one more thing” at the end that makes it unique rather than “how can we save a buck”

They think long term and can over pay for building design. That is the benefit of having a billionaire at the helm. Most of us are not so lucky and need to make the numbers work to move forward on a project. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:10 PM, Urbo said:

But why would you want one of the City of Orlando's economic hubs, lucrative tax base and one of the top selling communities in the nation to leave the city limits? seems like it would do more damage than good...Lake Nona is a net positive to Orlando, its great that its apart of the city and helping brand Orlando outside of tourism.

Geographically Lake Nona doesn’t belong in the City limits. It’s over 15 miles from City Hall via the shortest path, which takes you out of the City. The only road that stays within the City is Semoran Blvd. I’m sure most people don’t realize Lake Nona is actually in the City limits.

The City of Orlando has been an excellent proponent for Lake Nona. However, cities have limited resources and when Orlando focus on Lake Nona it takes attention away from the rest of the City.

Lake Nona is a very successful development story and will always be a net plus for the l Orlando region. I just feel particularly about Nona being it’s own place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry95 said:
12 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

I'll still argue that parking garages next to two-story structures don't look good. The difference between South Eola and Lake Nona, however, is that Lake Nona is completely from scratch and doesn't have to make these mistakes. 

image.thumb.png.1c3ae3ea0d08ec6ca9020bb6d01c9ccc.png

image.thumb.png.d55f1718a77fa5b2a0a1762bee4e6a77.png

image.thumb.png.534e34dc8f4717b1b1f0b1b729992ef7.png

Lucky for lake Nona to have creative and artistic parking garages instead of an outdated concrete eyesore though  

Edited by tm68

12 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Geographically Lake Nona doesn’t belong in the City limits. It’s over 15 miles from City Hall via the shortest path, which takes you out of the City. The only road that stays within the City is Semoran Blvd. I’m sure most people don’t realize Lake Nona is actually in the City limits.

The City of Orlando has been an excellent proponent for Lake Nona. However, cities have limited resources and when Orlando focus on Lake Nona it takes attention away from the rest of the City.

Lake Nona is a very successful development story and will always be a net plus for the l Orlando region. I just feel particularly about Nona being it’s own place. 

I would argue that almost the entire county should be in the city limits.  Counties are a fairly outdated concept, at least how most states use them.

At least we don't have townships here to add yet another layer of bureaucracy to the mix.  The city, the township, the county, the state all taking their piece of the pie.

• Like 1

Why is this building not in DTO, right off of I-4??? 

IMG_8967.thumb.JPG.0259ff63a75485c84baef

Why????

WHY???????  :dunno: 

47 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I would argue that almost the entire county should be in the city limits.  Counties are a fairly outdated concept, at least how most states use them.

At least we don't have townships here to add yet another layer of bureaucracy to the mix.  The city, the township, the county, the state all taking their piece of the pie.

Jacksonville did that decades ago.

Might have been the first city in the country to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Jacksonville did that decades ago.

Might have been the first city in the country to do so. 

There are a dozen states that just have entirely too many counties and I know it interferes with the egos of elected politicians, but combining cities/counties really benefits the people living there.  I know it adds a bit of tax burden, but it also greatly expands the tax base.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

Am I the only one who is reminded of Capital Plaza when I see these?

That is cold. 

2 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

There are a dozen states that just have entirely too many counties and I know it interferes with the egos of elected politicians, but combining cities/counties really benefits the people living there.  I know it adds a bit of tax burden, but it also greatly expands the tax base.

Consolidation was sold as a way to increase efficiencies and decrease cost for tax payers back in the 70's. It did not work out that way. 

20 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I hate to tell you this, but occasionally things change after 50 years, including technology.

I agree. It is a more difficult idea now due to rampant polarization, social inequities (real or perceived) between city folk and county folk.

6 hours ago, jack said:

I agree. It is a more difficult idea now due to rampant polarization, social inequities (real or perceived) between city folk and county folk.

What spurred much of it on was to keep cities from becoming majority black but we’re not allowed to mention that. As we’ve seen way too much of in the era of you-know-who, too many things in the country have a racial component.

• 3 weeks later...

While some of our UP family have been busy trying to make sure Ivanhoe has all the charm of a Borg collective (Resistance Is Futile!), Scott J headed out to the Mother Ship at Lake Nona to try out Bacan, the signature eatery at The Wave:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/64-latin-american/5980-bacan

He liked it a lot, not only the food, the setting (especially a portion ofJoe Lewis’ art collection) and the service.

Btw, the pastry chef Scott raved about, has just accepted a position at Miami Beach’s Fontainebleau Hotel. Dang, it’s hard to keep the good ones!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

While some of our UP family have been busy trying to make sure Ivanhoe has all the charm of a Borg collective (Resistance Is Futile!), Scott J headed out to the Mother Ship at Lake Nona to try out Bacan, the signature eatery at The Wave:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/64-latin-american/5980-bacan

He liked it a lot, not only the food, the setting (especially a portion ofJoe Lewis’ art collection) and the service.

Btw, the pastry chef Scott raved about, has just accepted a position at Miami Beach’s Fontainebleau Hotel. Dang, it’s hard to keep the good ones!

remember all of the...comparisons of Celebration to a Stepford Wives type of deal... at the time I thought it was cool.  Looking back, it is kind of...you know...like that.  And Lake Nona has Bac Park which resembles Baldwin which resembles Celebration...

I would have go to the Fontainebleau too.

But you know what...those fake beaches that are all the rage that they build here and there...are they planning anything like that in Nona?  I know about that resort next to KPM&G, but is there a major water feature in the city center planned? 

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

remember all of the...comparisons of Celebration to a Stepford Wives type of deal... at the time I thought it was cool.  Looking back, it is kind of...you know...like that.  And Lake Nona has Bac Park which resembles Baldwin which resembles Celebration...

I would have go to the Fontainebleau too.

But you know what...those fake beaches that are all the rage that they build here and there...are they planning anything like that in Nona?  I know about that resort next to KPM&G, but is there a major water feature in the city center planned? 

I think one was announced in Lake County.

These insta-towns all tend to have that Stepford quality. Republicans  especially seem to love them -there’s a reason that’s Orlando’s most Republican district.

Truthfully, other than the sprawl it’s creating, I hope those folks will be very happy there. Unfortunately, they can’t help themselves - they have to destroy all the tradition, history, trees and diversity we value in town. As the first Florida flag that flew after statehood said, “Let Us Alone”.

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...

So what's up with the big Disney move/ Per OBJ, the company has listed two jobs. Also, "The exact figure of how many jobs will move to Florida is unknown. However, experts expect it not to be a complete relocation, and some indication from social media and sites closely following the parks say some California-based workers have chosen not to move."

Which means, "Disney may be looking to fill as many as 1,600 jobs locally."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/05/16/disney-california-florida-lake-nona-relocation.html?

On 5/19/2022 at 9:23 PM, AmIReal said:

So what's up with the big Disney move/ Per OBJ, the company has listed two jobs. Also, "The exact figure of how many jobs will move to Florida is unknown. However, experts expect it not to be a complete relocation, and some indication from social media and sites closely following the parks say some California-based workers have chosen not to move."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/05/16/disney-california-florida-lake-nona-relocation.html?

Word is most of the existing Imagineers (creative) don't want to move here, which is a serious problem for that department. I expect the relocation plans to be seriously cut back in some fashion due to the state government, you know, putting a hit out on the company. Not the greatest incentive for corporate relocation!

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/19/2022 at 9:23 PM, AmIReal said:

Pre-construction continues at the proposed site for what that's worth. I've not heard anything about the move being off. It might depend on what happens in November.

On 5/21/2022 at 11:03 AM, F-L-A said:

Word is most of the existing Imagineers (creative) don't want to move here, which is a serious problem for that department. I expect the relocation plans to be seriously cut back in some fashion due to the state government, you know, putting a hit out on the company. Not the greatest incentive for corporate relocation!

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow...savvy?  And I say The Mouse dez-uh-ves every thing coming they-uh way...

pjimage-24.jpg