Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I will refrain from mentioning my thoughts about Rick, but he was definitely less moderate than Charlie or Jeb! before him.

Rick also is now known on the national level because of running the GOP’s Senate election committee (and some of his ideas recently announced are so out there even Republicans walked away from him). Meanwhile, DeSantis is already in full campaign mode. Rick also wants to be president but he has been totally eclipsed by DeSantis, unless a major gaffe occurs.

As to whether DeSantis will be president, it depends on who the Democrats nominate. I don’t think Biden will run (unless a miracle happened, I don’t think he ever planned to), and Kamala Harris, much to the GOP’s dismay, ain’t gonna be the nominee either.

Two things are most important - who the Democrats pick and how effectively the nominee campaigns. A Bill Clinton or Obama with Carville and Axelrod were unstoppable. As we always knew, Gore and Hillary would have been great in office but both were lousy campaigners and their campaign staffs weren’t any better.

It’s worth remembering that since 1988 the Republicans have won the popular vote exactly once. The nation doesn’t love the Republicans and it’s up to the Democrats to know how to fight elections on technical grounds. Republicans don’t win elections - Democrats lose them when they don’t bring their A team both before and after the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

With current trends, the GOP will win the popular vote in 2024. 

Outside of Biden, the Democrats have not won the presidency in 40 years without an extremely charismatic, charming and relatively young candidate. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

With current trends, the GOP will win the popular vote in 2024. 

Outside of Biden, the Democrats have not won the presidency in 40 years without an extremely charismatic, charming and relatively young candidate. 

“With current trends”. Where in the world is that from? 2022 is one thing, presidential years are quite different. The only current trends would come from GOP attempts to keep folks from voting, but as we saw in Georgia earlier this year, those may be less than successful.
If we need a charismatic, charming and relatively young candidate, Secretary Mayor Pete’s ready to go! Given how many young voters we have (especially in presidential years), we would expect our base to be attracted to younger candidates (although Bernie had no problem with young folks - they respected his authenticity).

Edited by spenser1058

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

“With current trends”. Where in the world is that from? 2022 is one thing, presidential years are quite different. The only current trends would come from GOP attempts to keep folks from voting, but as we saw in Georgia earlier this year, those may be less than successful.
If we need a charismatic, charming and relatively young candidate, Secretary Mayor Pete’s ready to go! Given how many young voters we have (especially in presidential years), we would expect our base to be attracted to younger candidates (although Bernie had no problem with young folks - they respected his authenticity).

An unpopular president, lower ratings for congress, and no one currently in the wings ready to go. We all knew about Obama in 2006 and Clinton in 1990. Mayor Pete? Do you really think your party will nominate a white man? I don't think so. 

13 hours ago, F-L-A said:

"This thread became way too political. Here, let me politicize it even further because I'm so annoyed that you all disagree with my own political views."

Great Success Win GIF

Also, Venezuela will soon have better infrastructure than us with the way we're going. So thanks for that. 

I am sorry, but if you think Venezuela infrastructure is great, I do not know what to say. The wheels have fallen off the economy along with many other self inflicted problems which was solely caused by one party rule. Hell, if Manchin wasn't there as a stop gap, Venezuela may have even beaten us with a better inflation rate. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, shardoon said:

I am sorry, but if you think Venezuela infrastructure is great, I do not know what to say. The wheels have fallen off the economy along with many other self inflicted problems which was solely caused by one party rule. Hell, if Manchin wasn't there as a stop gap, Venezuela may have even beaten us with a better inflation rate. 

No one said Venezuela had great infrastructure. No one in their right mind would say we do either. Not knowing what to say is usually a symptom of missing the point.

I also have no idea what "one party rule" you're referring to, as you yourself admit there is a so-called "stop gap" currently keeping that from happening. He's keeping anything from happening, in fact. You sound like someone who badly needs to blame everything on their political opponents, despite having a lack of evidence required to do so, and despite your own side actively obstructing your political opponents from even enacting their agenda in any meaningful way, something you yourself acknowledge. Curious, isn't it? I bet you blamed the Great Recession on Obama. Maybe it's time to stop pointing the finger and start looking inward for the real source of your problems?

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, F-L-A said:

No one said Venezuela had great infrastructure. No one in their right mind would say we do either. Not knowing what to say is usually a symptom of missing the point.

I also have no idea what "one party rule" you're referring to, as you yourself admit there is a so-called "stop gap" currently keeping that from happening. He's keeping anything from happening, in fact. You sound like someone who badly needs to blame everything on their political opponents, despite having a lack of evidence required to do so, and despite your own side actively obstructing your political opponents from even enacting their agenda in any meaningful way, something you yourself acknowledge. Curious, isn't it? I bet you blamed the Great Recession on Obama. Maybe it's time to stop pointing the finger and start looking inward for the real source of your problems?

I actually prefer moderate rule. Unfortunately this country has become too tribal. You actually are exemplifying it pretty well with making assumptions about me. There are a lot more independents and even republican moderates than there are democratic moderates. That's why there is gonna be a red wave in November. Unfortunetely, this just does the windshield wiper effect. People are tired of radicals on both sides. 

With that being said, it seems like you like to blame bad economies on whatever administration is opossite your political spectrum. Speaking of inner problems, take one's own advice. 

Edited by shardoon

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

I actually prefer moderate rule. Unfortunately this country has become too tribal. You actually are exemplifying it pretty well with making assumptions about me. There are a lot more independents and even republican moderates than there are democratic moderates. That's why there is gonna be a red wave in November. Unfortunetely, this just does the windshield wiper effect. People are tired of radicals on both sides. 

With that being said, it seems like you like to blame bad economies on whatever administration is opossite your political spectrum. Speaking of inner problems, take one's own advice. 

I'm not the only one making assumptions. Unless you actually have data to back up the assertion that there are more moderate Republicans? Because I look at that party & its policies and I see anything but moderation, just a whole lot of ill-advised extremism, which I think enough people have lost their appetite for too much for a "red wave" to ever occur under such circumstances. You want to talk about tribalism, there's your reason. I'm actually pretty moderate on a number of issues, as are most politicians of the party I vote for, but when your opposition has completely lost the plot, it tends to polarize things. 

I blame bad economies on the administrations responsible for bad economies, plain & simple. I blame bad policies in general on the people with bad policies. It's not my fault if the opposition have cultivated a nasty habit of being completely blind to their side's weaknesses in policy (and character) & have learned to blame literally everything on our side, even when we clearly aren't responsible. I used Obama & the recession as an example, because yeah, that's a thing they all did, despite him not even being in office when it began.  I don't have these sorts of delusions, nor should any supposed moderate.

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, F-L-A said:

I'm not the only one making assumptions. Unless you actually have data to back up the assertion that there are more moderate Republicans? Because I look at that party & its policies and I see anything but moderation, just a whole lot of ill-advised extremism, which I think enough people have lost their appetite for too much for a "red wave" to ever occur under such circumstances. You want to talk about tribalism, there's your reason. I'm actually pretty moderate on a number of issues, as are most politicians of the party I vote for, but when your opposition has completely lost the plot, it tends to polarize things. 

I blame bad economies on the administrations responsible for bad economies, plain & simple. I blame bad policies in general on the people with bad policies. It's not my fault if the opposition have cultivated a nasty habit of being completely blind to their side's weaknesses in policy (and character) & have learned to blame literally everything on our side, even when we clearly aren't responsible. I used Obama & the recession as an example, because yeah, that's a thing they all did, despite him not even being in office when it began.  I don't have these sorts of delusions, nor should any supposed moderate.

No point in hijacking this thread with politics. It seems a lot of you all are fine with the mismanagement of so many things that fell apart with this country over the past 1.5 years since Biden took office. Thank heavens Manchin was there to prevent move damage to the economy. I am sorry you cannot see it, but the majority of the country sees it with the polling and projections for this November.  Hopefully we can start governing from the center again, and maybe Biden will be forced to do what he campaigned on, governing from the middle. It seems the only way he will be forced to do it is with a Republican congress. 

37 minutes ago, shardoon said:

No point in hijacking this thread with politics. It seems a lot of you all are fine with the mismanagement of so many things that fell apart with this country over the past 1.5 years since Biden took office. Thank heavens Manchin was there to prevent move damage to the economy. I am sorry you cannot see it, but the majority of the country sees it with the polling and projections for this November.  Hopefully we can start governing from the center again, and maybe Biden will be forced to do what he campaigned on, governing from the middle. It seems the only way he will be forced to do it is with a Republican congress. 

If you think this countries problems started 1.5 years ago, I don't know what to tell you. No established county like ours falls apart in the short of a time frame. It has been decades and decades of failed policies that got us here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jack said:

If you think this countries problems started 1.5 years ago, I don't know what to tell you. No established county like ours falls apart in the short of a time frame. It has been decades and decades of failed policies that got us here. 

Term limits would help all around. This limits the influence of special interests.........

4 hours ago, shardoon said:

Biden is the most milquetoast centrist I've ever seen. None of what you are saying even makes sense. He is scared of using EOs to actually change things and Congress is sending him nothing to sign. Nothing is happening and nothing will happen because of guys like Manchin.

What even is the "center?" The Dems are a center/center right party while the Reps are far right. We have no leftist party in power whatsoever and we likely never will.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2022 at 5:03 AM, Urbo said:

lnbuild8.jpg.aec4ced8f976d57922007edd85706d1a.jpglnbuild.jpg.11869f011f5030712a68f09d04e3a6d8.jpglnbuild2.jpg.744cdc419c64fbd010c713fc0f5b2653.jpglnbulid3.jpg.0af70ff60ea129b6197ff9d43a9211a4.jpglnbuild3.jpg.d8d4c6e26685a3fac66b5abed6ad183f.jpglnbuild4.jpg.5b84db7f725b647718cbbe56c08c87b4.jpglnbuild5.jpg.2b120dde01aa74f44b2d660b5aa7bf2d.jpg

Great photos.   I wish that movie theater complex had gotten built.  Could be a lively area...(desperate attempt to bring this board away from the politics and back to the topics I've spent almost 2 decades on this board looking for updates on)

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, jliv said:

It was a bit ambitious to plan to relocate 2,000 jobs in two years to an office park which hasn't even broken ground

I'm also staying optimistic given the state of the construction site. The land has been cleared and there is a lot of apparent infrastructure work going on. I'm no construction expert, but I can see the project reasonably stretching out for a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jliv said:

I wish that movie theater complex had gotten built.  Could be a lively area...

Every time Tavistock holds a development meeting and people ask about this or other retail / revenue, they don't outright say it's a no-go, but reply with the stock "we're monitoring market conditions and taking our time". They continue to say they want the Town Center to be the crown jewel of Lake Nona, but so far the area is majority office space with limited retail.

12 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Every time Tavistock holds a development meeting and people ask about this or other retail / revenue, they don't outright say it's a no-go, but reply with the stock "we're monitoring market conditions and taking our time". They continue to say they want the Town Center to be the crown jewel of Lake Nona, but so far the area is majority office space with limited retail.

The pandemic was not kind to movie theaters. And for retail, it sure doesn't help when so much was built on Narcoossee. 

On 6/20/2022 at 6:34 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

It desperately needs more F&B options along with cultural and entertainment venues. Although I’m not sold on a movie theater a lot of residents are begging for it. I would like to see a museum, galleries, speakeasies and a large live music venue come to the area. Make the town center more of a cultural hub. 

• Like 1

The truth is, Lake Nona purports to be a live-work-play community but in fact, one still has to have a car for the necessities of life.

Like so many other developers, Tavistock has completely failed when it comes to the retail equation.

Now, of course, the apologists insist everything in life can be delivered. Well, apart from the climate issues all that delivery entails (especially for a neighborhood deep in sprawl away from the center city), the fact is that e-commerce’s share of retail in the US is currently only about 15%. Certainly, it’s growing, but the fact is, most people like to shop for their cucumbers and dresses.

Until Lake Nona fixes that glaring error (did you know Tavistock once suggested a Macy’s in the town center? they aren’t even close), Lake Nona is merely a two-legged stool. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The truth is, Lake Nona purports to be a live-work-play community but in fact, one still has to have a car for the necessities of life.

Like so many other developers, Tavistock has completely failed when it comes to the retail equation.

Now, of course, the apologists insist everything in life can be delivered. Well, apart from the climate issues all that delivery entails (especially for a neighborhood deep in sprawl away from the center city), the fact is that e-commerce’s share of retail in the US is currently only about 15%. Certainly, it’s growing, but the fact is, most people like to shop for their cucumbers and dresses.

Until Lake Nona fixes that glaring error (did you know Tavistock once suggested a Macy’s in the town center? they aren’t even close), Lake Nona is merely a two-legged stool. 

Town center retail is obviously not a priority for Lake Nona right now and I do believe retail is Lake Nona's weakness. But there is over a million square foot of retail yet to be developed in Lake Nona. The claim that Tavistock completely failed when it comes to the retail equation is ridiculous. And to lump Tavistock in the same category as these other central Florida developers who have yet to dream of anything comparable to Lake Nona is unreasonable. The amount of investment Tavistock has made and continues to make in the City of Orlando should be cherished not scolded.  Give them their flowers! The tax base that Lake Nona has established to support the infrastructure of the city cannot relate to any other new development in the region.  It takes decades to build out a community of 20k units and over 20 million sqft of commercial uses, and Tavistock's strategy has been to bring the jobs to the community first, then the people, then the retail. And this strategy has worked year over year so why stop now? Every community has errors, and downtown has its fair share of glaring errors. You need a car to live in Orlando  just like the majority of other major cities. There are only a handful of cities where you can viably live a high quality car-free life with full access to the cities best amenities (New York, Chicago, D.C.,etc.). But if I'm downtown Orlando, and I want to shop for a variety major brands I have to get in a car (whether it be Uber's or my own) and drive to Florida or Millenia mall. Downtown lacks retail and entertainment destinations just as much as Lake Nona relative to its population. The difference is downtown has been here decades longer than Lake Nona and is still lagging behind.

image.png.3aff20875c394ba2d78e6283165ddc6e.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Lake Nona is merely a two-legged stool

I'd add that while retail is indeed the missing third leg, transit is the fourth. Improving Orlando's transit problem at large is a lot to ask of Tavistock, but a vibrant Town Center connected by transit (>11 mph Beep shuttles, for example) would make car-free days a possibility, at least locally.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

UCF plans new nursing school facility with $29 million from state
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-ne-health-ucf-college-nursing-shortage-florida-20220712-7depqb7lkfeepm753iatns2jqe-story.html

From The Sentinel 

that's great; really expand that footprint.  I wonder whether UF will expand on it's presence there.  Part of me feels like their only reason for being there was Burnham Institute, and since they pulled out, that UF may not expand.  But being that they are opportunistic, that might motivate them to develop further (in the future).

• 3 weeks later...