Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

Not a banner day for Lake Nona jobs. Amicus Therapeutics sells land back to Tavistock, scraps deal for future Lake Nona facility

That was expected to create hundreds of high skill/ high paying jobs in the area.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/10/31/amicus-therapeutics-sells-orlando-land-to-tavistoc.html

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Not a banner day for Lake Nona jobs. Amicus Therapeutics sells land back to Tavistock, scraps deal for future Lake Nona facility

That was expected to create hundreds of high skill/ high paying jobs in the area.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/10/31/amicus-therapeutics-sells-orlando-land-to-tavistoc.html

what happened? (paywall)

12 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

maybe incentives were in the works but fell through...

Quite likely.

Along those lines, I read today that, thanks to Tally’s culture war on Hollywood, Florida’s film industry has pretty much lost what was left of the professionals and techs that underpin the business. Ironically, Atlanta has more or less become the official “Hollywood East”. This falls heaviest on Orlando since we had more infrastructure and Human Resources going back to the “Parenthood” and “Superboy” days, plus all the sound stages Disney/Uni built. Another reason to do away with Randy Fine and his ilk.

Meanwhile, Georgia’s GOP swallowed their politics on this and are reaping the rewards. Their foray into the business more or less cranked up when Coke bought Columbia Pictures in the mid-80’s and “The City Too Busy To Hate” never looked back even after Columbia was sold to SONY.

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Quite likely.

Along those lines, I read today that, thanks to Tally’s culture war on Hollywood, Florida’s film industry has pretty much lost what was left of the professionals and techs that underpin the business. Ironically, Atlanta has more or less become the official “Hollywood East”. This falls heaviest on Orlando since we had more infrastructure and Human Resources going back to the “Parenthood” and “Superboy” days, plus all the sound stages Disney/Uni built. Another reason to do away with Randy Fine and his ilk.

Meanwhile, Georgia’s GOP swallowed their politics on this and are reaping the rewards. Their foray into the business more or less cranked up when Coke bought Columbia Pictures in the mid-80’s and “The City Too Busy To Hate” never looked back even after Columbia was sold to SONY.

maybe move this to one of the politics threads because I have not nice words to say about Hollywood.

18 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Incentives would have been guaranteed if they hit targets. I assume (maybe wrongly) their financials haven't gone as planned and they are cutting back expansions.

I've seen that happen before with other companies.  Shoot, we've seen that here every time there's been some event affecting tourism.  For example, after 911, Universal scrapped a major two-park expansion plan..

The Sentinel’s Amy Drew Thompson returns to Bacan at The Wave and notes that its decadent Michelin guide goodness is just as wonderful as before:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-food-restaurant-orlando-amy-drew-thompson-bacan-lake-nona-wave-review-20221103-6pfvibpm7rasxpncer7boi4mye-story.html

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The Sentinel’s Amy Drew Thompson returns to Bacan at The Wave and notes that its decadent Michelin guide goodness is just as wonderful as before:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-food-restaurant-orlando-amy-drew-thompson-bacan-lake-nona-wave-review-20221103-6pfvibpm7rasxpncer7boi4mye-story.html

The Wave hotel is nice...it's a tight property but it's nice.  I am sure the ambience at dusk is fantastic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

They have plenty of room to expand now that Disney isn't moving into their backyard.

Thank you, DeSatan.

I thought they were still moving, but not until 2026.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/news/disney-delays-plans-to-move-2000-jobs-to-lake-nona-until-2026-31828041#:~:text=Disney is pushing its plans,be open in December 2022.

has there been a change of plans?

39 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Don’t hold your breath. That move had been floating around for years and Bob Iger knew how unpopular it was so held off. Chapek just stumbled into it blindly because as a bean counter the numbers looked good. Then DeSantis pulled his stunt and brought all the worst fears of the creatives to life.

Universal Creative was able to pull their move off because they don’t have as deep a bench and the culture has never been as entrenched as Imagineering, which goes back to Walt. They also moved before the worst of the MAGA nonsense cranked up.

Can we say never? No. But, to the Californians, their worst nightmares about Florida have been made flesh in the last year. Also, if you’ve never lived in hurricane country before, Ian would be a rude awakening.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Don’t hold your breath. That move had been floating around for years and Bob Iger knew how unpopular it was so held off. Chapek just stumbled into it blindly because as a bean counter the numbers looked good. Then DeSantis pulled his stunt and brought all the worst fears of the creatives to life.

Universal Creative was able to pull their move off because they don’t have as deep a bench and the culture has never been as entrenched as Imagineering, which goes back to Walt. 

Can we say never? No. But, to the Californians, their worst nightmares about Florida have been made flesh in the last year.

well, Nick moved back to NYC from Universal in the early 2000's.  Maybe Imagineering needs to stay put since they are that entrenched in CA.

16 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, Nick moved back to NYC from Universal in the early 2000's.  Maybe Imagineering needs to stay put since they are that entrenched in CA.

I feel their pain. My family has been in Florida and Orange County for almost 100 years. I learned all about living in the Bible Belt when I moved to Nashville and was glad to come back. The state (outside South Florida) was never liberal but it was New South progressive, with a sense of things improving starting with LeRoy Collins. I never thought I’d leave.

As it first got worse in Tallahassee, it was easy to ignore because OC was getting bluer. There’s no more hiding now, we’re on our way back to the Charley Johns Jim Crow Taliban.

Now, I can’t wait to retire and get away from it. I always wondered what it would be like to be born in a place like Mississippi and know you didn’t belong. I now know. 

The problem for me is I hate cold weather, so I can’t move to Connecticut to escape like @orange87.  It will be interesting to see where I end up.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I feel their pain. My family has been in Florida and Orange County for almost 100 years. I learned all about living in the Bible Belt when I moved to Nashville and was glad to come back. Florida (outside South Florida) was never liberal but it was New South progressive, with a sense of things improving starting with LeRoy Collins. I never thought I’d leave.

As it first got worse in Tallahassee, it was easy to ignore because OC was getting bluer. There’s no more hiding now, we’re on our way back to the Charley Johns Jim Crow Taliban.

Now, I can’t wait to retire and get away from it. I always wondered what it would be like to be born in a place like Mississippi and know you didn’t belong. I now know. 

The problem for me is I hate cold weather, so I can’t move to Connecticut to escape like @orange87.  It will be interesting to see where I end up.

can you take this to the Politics thread?  I think you are overreacting way too much...seriously...I already said my peace several weeks back...

19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

No need, actually. I realize I no longer belong  here,either. I wish you all the best - I’m done.

???

stop talking like that, Spenser...half the stuff I've learned about Florida history has come from your posts.  You can't leave me like 'this.' 

it's obvious a lot of these issues hit home with you.  chill for a minute.  we all get wound up over different things which others understand a little differently than we do ourselves.  Man, I could've quit this forum years ago but I didn't for a reason...to absorb other peoples' opinions and process them and learn from them.  you gotta be able to do that to relate and be more relatable.  I've been called names in the past, etc., it's all good.  I'm still here.  I doubt that there is a single person here that does not respect your insight on stuff.  they may not all agree with you 100%, but, why would you want to express your opinions to a mere echo chamber anyway?  how does one grow from that? we all learn something different from each other.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

SoCal can be a tough place to live but if you make good money, it is absolutely beautiful there. I am sure there was a lot of pushback to moving. If your employer moved your division to the exact opposite side of the county, would you want to move? Especially if you could get another high paying job in SoCal? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

SoCal can be a tough place to live but if you make good money, it is absolutely beautiful there. I am sure there was a lot of pushback to moving. If your employer moved your division to the exact opposite side of the county, would you want to move? Especially if you could get another high paying job in SoCal? 

I personally would never move to a swamp from SoCal...even if I lived within the City of SF...

On 11/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, spenser1058 said:

Universal Creative was able to pull their move off because they don’t have as deep a bench and the culture has never been as entrenched as Imagineering, which goes back to Walt. They also moved before the worst of the MAGA nonsense cranked up.

Can we say never? No. But, to the Californians, their worst nightmares about Florida have been made flesh in the last year. Also, if you’ve never lived in hurricane country before, Ian would be a rude awakening.

It's bad enough to hold nutty beliefs. It's quite another when they have real, tangible, detrimental economic effects. Florida needs to diversify its economy and attract industry and good paying jobs. If that means tolerating some difference, that's something we really need to learn to do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

It's bad enough to hold nutty beliefs. It's quite another when they have real, tangible, detrimental economic effects. Florida needs to diversify its economy and attract industry and good paying jobs. If that means tolerating some difference, that's something we really need to learn to do.

Respectfully, I hear what youre saying, but, to be fair, that could just as easily start by having liberals, that have the "nutty" belief, as you say, that it's ok to preach transexualism to 3rd graders, to back off, as well as the major corporations that feel it necessary to defend that ridiculous stance on the political stage.

There are several million parents in this state that would disagree with you on the issue of  "tolerance," and on whom the onus should be.  Maybe the gay community should begin by "tolerating" that straight parents don't want their parenting interfered with, and just want their kids left alone in school.

It's just so convenient how this ultimate point is completely glossed over, the gay community is given a pass, and the focus instead shifts to politics and DeSantis' actions.  And there are a lot of other companies, BTW, that have opened up shop in Florida without any of these issues.  I don't recall KPM&G causing this kind of drama, nor the USTA, UF, UCF, Nemours, JetBlue, EA,  Verizon, Harris, or any of the other heavy hitters that have moved here, to Jax, Tampa, or SoFla. Not even Universal got involved in any of this ridiculousness, and they're pumping $ billions into Orange County right now. 

Chapek made a choice and listened to his employees at Disney, and DeSantis did his job as governor and listened to his constituents in Florida.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Respectfully, I hear what youre saying, but, to be fair, that could just as easily start by having liberals, that have the "nutty" belief, as you say, that it's ok to preach transexualism to 3rd graders, to back off, as well as the major corporations that feel it necessary to defend that ridiculous stance on the political stage.

The Lion King What GIF

Chapek made a choice and listened to his employees at Disney, and DeSantis did his job as governor and listened to his constituents in Florida.

Which is why we need to go ahead and split Florida, so we don't have to share a state with a majority of constituents who are too idiotic to understand what is good and what is bad for their local economy, among other things. Taking an antagonistic, anti-business and fascistically anti-free speech stance with your state's largest employer is unequivocally BAD. He's set us back years, if not decades with his good ol' boy bumbling, and it's no coincidence that the area most affected is also the one least likely to vote for him! The interests of him and his constituents are gravely incompatible with our own. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, F-L-A said:

The Lion King What GIF

Which is why we need to go ahead and split Florida, so we don't have to share a state with a majority of constituents who are too idiotic to understand what is good and what is bad for their local economy, among other things. Taking an antagonistic, anti-business and fascistically anti-free speech stance with your state's largest employer is unequivocally BAD. He's set us back years, if not decades with his good ol' boy bumbling, and it's no coincidence that the area most affected is also the one least likely to vote for him! The interests of him and his constituents are gravely incompatible with our own. 

Clearly Florida disagrees. There's not even a line to split Florida anymore, even South Florida is now turning red as so many people have moved to escape the fascist, freedom hating regimes in the northeast and west coast and have relocated to Florida.

And DeSantis isn't doing anything to prevent Disney from saying whatever they want, he is just taking away their ultra-special platform that no one else in the entire state has. He's putting them on a level playing field with their competitors, such as SeaWorld and Universal. And we're already seeing the benefits of this: Universal seems to have even further massively increased investment, now they are not going to be at a government level disadvantage.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

There are several million parents in this state that would disagree with you on the issue of  "tolerance," and on whom the onus should be.  Maybe the gay community should begin by "tolerating" that straight parents don't want their parenting interfered with, and just want their kids left alone in school.

It's just so convenient how this ultimate point is completely glossed over, the gay community is given a pass, and the focus instead shifts to politics and DeSantis' actions.  And there are a lot of other companies, BTW, that have opened up shop in Florida without any of these issues.  I don't recall KPM&G causing this kind of drama, nor the USTA, UF, UCF, Nemours, JetBlue, EA,  Verizon, Harris, or any of the other heavy hitters that have moved here, to Jax, Tampa, or SoFla. Not even Universal got involved in any of this ridiculousness, and they're pumping $ billions into Orange County right now. 

In a country of 300 million people, and thousands of school districts, it is not too hard to find something objectionable being taught. But there are probably just as many teachers on any given day teaching the benefits of the KKK that are trying to indoctrinate young kids. It is a fake issue that does not happen very often, Additionally, every one of these school districts have the tools in place to fire a teacher for indoctrination. No need for these woke governors to fall over themselves to pass new laws. 

If these yahoos really wanted to help parents, they would increase finding for charter schools, pass backpack funding, and shore up the voucher program. Or they could focus on the learning loss that impacted us during covid. Or the atrocious reading rates in many school districts around the state. I could go on and on but these guys have decided to pull their pants down and focus on wokeism while ignoring that they are nothing but right wing social justice warriors. 

• Like 2