Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

7 hours ago, F-L-A said:

The Lion King What GIF

Which is why we need to go ahead and split Florida, so we don't have to share a state with a majority of constituents who are too idiotic to understand what is good and what is bad for their local economy, among other things. Taking an antagonistic, anti-business and fascistically anti-free speech stance with your state's largest employer is unequivocally BAD. He's set us back years, if not decades with his good ol' boy bumbling, and it's no coincidence that the area most affected is also the one least likely to vote for him! The interests of him and his constituents are gravely incompatible with our own. 

Well, DeSantis exposed something nefarious that's been going on in schools for a while and acted on it.  And you really do not understand parenting much.

That's the thing with Liberals.  You keep pushing and pushing. but when someone pushes back, you scream bloody murder as if you were in the right to begin with, when you actually weren't.

BTW, Disney's plans were to simply move 2,000 or so jobs from CA to Orlando; they weren't going to create any new jobs; rather, they were simply making a business decision because of CA's high taxes that benefited them. 

Also, with regard to your comment about 'the areas most affected are lest likely to vote for him'...you're right; Orange went blue.  But Miami-Dade, PB County, Duval, Pinellas, Hillsborough (the major counties) all went Red, as did the rest of the counties except for maybe three others...  FYI.

2022_Florida_gubernatorial_election_results_map_by_county.svg.png

2 hours ago, aent said:

Clearly Florida disagrees. There's not even a line to split Florida anymore, even South Florida is now turning red as so many people have moved to escape the fascist, freedom hating regimes in the northeast and west coast and have relocated to Florida.

And DeSantis isn't doing anything to prevent Disney from saying whatever they want, he is just taking away their ultra-special platform that no one else in the entire state has. He's putting them on a level playing field with their competitors, such as SeaWorld and Universal. And we're already seeing the benefits of this: Universal seems to have even further massively increased investment, now they are not going to be at a government level disadvantage.

Ultimately, it won't matter what he does with Disney. The district will get renamed and the result will stay the same. Partisans on both side will declare victory and no one will remember what the fuss was about. 

Disney has gone all in as a luxury brand and they have been printing money for the past year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Well, DeSantis exposed something nefarious that's been going on in schools for a while and acted on it.  And you really do not understand parenting much.

That's the thing with Liberals.  You keep pushing and pushing. but when someone pushes back, you scream bloody murder as if you were in the right to begin with, when you actually weren't.

BTW, Disney's plans were to simply move 2,000 or so jobs from CA to Orlando; they weren't going to create any new jobs; rather, they were simply making a business decision because of CA's high taxes that benefited them. 

Also, with regard to your comment about 'the areas most affected are lest likely to vote for him'...you're right; Orange went blue.  But Miami-Dade, PB County, Duval, Pinellas, Hillsborough (the major counties) all went Red, as did the rest of the counties except for maybe three others...  FYI.

It would be nice if they could just open a small office and build the employment numbers over time. In 20 years, we will end up in the same place. Hopefully they can do this quietly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jack said:

In a country of 300 million people, and thousands of school districts, it is not too hard to find something objectionable being taught. But there are probably just as many teachers on any given day teaching the benefits of the KKK that are trying to indoctrinate young kids. It is a fake issue that does not happen very often, Additionally, every one of these school districts have the tools in place to fire a teacher for indoctrination. No need for these woke governors to fall over themselves to pass new laws. 

If these yahoos really wanted to help parents, they would increase finding for charter schools, pass backpack funding, and shore up the voucher program. Or they could focus on the learning loss that impacted us during covid. Or the atrocious reading rates in many school districts around the state. I could go on and on but these guys have decided to pull their pants down and focus on wokeism while ignoring that they are nothing but right wing social justice warriors. 

If Florida is any barometer for the entire country, it very much looks like the Left has had a concerted effort to preach its ideals in colleges and in early education for a long time. And, as soon as DeSantis and the Legislature make some changes to keep these people from doing this, they are in an uproar because they can no longer go off-syllabus to preach Liberalism and wokeness in college and cannot preach transsexualism in elementary school.

And if is a fake issue as you say, somewhat rare, and if there really isn't anything objectionable being taught, then why the First Amendment violation claims by teachers' unions?  What speech is being curtailed if they are really just teaching the curriculum?  I think we know the answer.

My issue with DeSantis going after Disney's Reedy Creek district is that it was retaliatory and the peanut gallery spun it off as a "Disney isn't paying their fare share of taxes" issue. There are over 1,800 special districts in FL that have remained untouched--what of those?? Some residents of the Villages were so happy for Disney to lose it's special district status while writing to their local paper to verify they wouldn't lose theirs. IMO, Reedy Creek should remain intact. Any changes should have been applied across the board.

There are some things I agree with DeSantis on, but other things seem totally out of RIGHT field. How does he manage to implement changes regarding Identity politics so quickly meanwhile ignoring issues larger than an elephant in the room? I find that distasteful.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

My issue with DeSantis going after Disney's Reedy Creek district is that it was retaliatory and the peanut gallery spun it off as a "Disney isn't paying their fare share of taxes" issue. There are over 1,800 special districts in FL that have remained untouched--what of those?? Some residents of the Villages were so happy for Disney to lose it's special district status while writing to their local paper to verify they wouldn't lose theirs. IMO, Reedy Creek should remain intact. Any changes should have been applied across the board.

There are some things I agree with DeSantis on, but other things seem totally out of RIGHT field. How does he manage to implement changes regarding Identity politics so quickly meanwhile ignoring issues larger than an elephant in the room? I find that distasteful.

For the record, I didn't like him going after Disney at all.    I would have just given a speech and left it at that.  Get positive development momentum to continue in the region...etc...

If Disney's special district could have a claim as a constitutional violation, right? But in the end I don't think there will be any changes made.

It is political posturing but both Disney and DeSantis did it.

12 hours ago, F-L-A said:

He's set us back years, if not decades with his good ol' boy bumbling, and it's no coincidence that the area most affected is also the one least likely to vote for him! The interests of him and his constituents are gravely incompatible with our own. 

Another term for good ol' boy bumbling I like to use is "Country Fried Conservatism", which is not to be confused with actual conservatism, or any cogent political ideology really.
"Thar turnin' mah boyz inta girlz! Yeeehaw!", should not be the rallying cry of a political movement, but damned if it isn't. And damned if this game of make believe isn't costing Florida in the real world.

And yes, lest anyone think I'm partisan, I'm well aware that the left has its own basket of zany concepts ("microaggressions", "Defund the Police", etc.).

22 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If Florida is any barometer for the entire country, it very much looks like the Left has had a concerted effort to preach its ideals in colleges and in early education for a long time. And, as soon as DeSantis and the Legislature make some changes to keep these people from doing this, they are in an uproar because they can no longer go off-syllabus to preach Liberalism and wokeness in college and cannot preach transsexualism in elementary school.

And if is a fake issue as you say, somewhat rare, and if there really isn't anything objectionable being taught, then why the First Amendment violation claims by teachers' unions?  What speech is being curtailed if they are really just teaching the curriculum?  I think we know the answer.

There is no proof there is an effort in Florida to teach objectionable material to young children. And K-12 teachers do not have broad based 1st amendment protections while they are teaching. It has already been litigated. University's are very different and do have robust protections in place. Again, I think it is a fake issue

The legislature can try all they want to with universities but they will have an uphill if not losing battle 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, jack said:

Ultimately, it won't matter what he does with Disney. The district will get renamed and the result will stay the same. Partisans on both side will declare victory and no one will remember what the fuss was about. 

Disney has gone all in as a luxury brand and they have been printing money for the past year. 

If anyone actually listened to what DeSantis said, he literally said as much. The only change he really is pushing for is making sure they have their fees paid to the government, and that the board of the district will be appointed by the governor to make sure the government collects taxes from them, the same exact way that they do from Universal and SeaWorld and the rest of us. He literally said a new district will be created under a more traditional "special district" format, DeSantis has been clear he welcomes Disney to do business here and wants them to do well, but not get special privileges not available to others.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, nite owℓ said:

But Reedy Creek Improvement District wasn't even the only one to lose its special district status under that very law. Every district that was created under the rule that allowed RCID to operate in this manner is being disolved: Here's a full map of them:

copy-of-white-action-1.png

As you can see, many of the others are in very red areas as well. The new law also literally says the districts can be re-established, following the current law, and not getting away with not following any rules when they were created pre-1968.

Also, why is it only an issue when the Republicans do this, and not the Democrats?

The Democrats, for the last several years, have been attacking Elon Musk and companies for not following their party lines, and literally acting on it. The "Rural Digital Opportunities Fund" awarded SpaceX $880 million as they were the lowest bidder in providing internet to 650,000 locations, but the FCC revoked their funding when the Democrats took over to get back at Elon Musk. They left Tesla out of the subsidy funding in the EV vehicle subsidy bill, while including the foreign manufacturers. They've been trying to do this to Elon for many years now. Just yesterday, Joe Biden was asked "Do you think Elon Musk is a threat to US national security?" and Biden answered that he " is worthy of being looked at" and when asked "How?" he just said “There’s a lot of ways,” How is the Democrat President Joe Biden and his administration doing this to Elon Musk and SpaceX and Tesla without you guys complaining about Disney not complaining about this?

Both parties have always done this. If you want to get subsidies and special exemptions from the law from the government, you better be friendly to them, regardless of who is in power. I don't like these exemptions and subsidies existing, but lets be fair. I'd be happy to get rid of it for everyone. Thats the right way to raise taxes

Edited by aent
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, aent said:

If anyone actually listened to what DeSantis said, he literally said as much. The only change he really is pushing for is making sure they have their fees paid to the government, and that the board of the district will be appointed by the governor to make sure the government collects taxes from them, the same exact way that they do from Universal and SeaWorld and the rest of us. He literally said a new district will be created under a more traditional "special district" format, DeSantis has been clear he welcomes Disney to do business here and wants them to do well, but not get special privileges not available to others.

But Reedy Creek Improvement District wasn't even the only one to lose its special district status under that very law. Every district that was created under the rule that allowed RCID to operate in this manner is being disolved: Here's a full map of them:

copy-of-white-action-1.png

As you can see, many of the others are in very red areas as well. The new law also literally says the districts can be re-established, following the current law, and not getting away with not following any rules when they were created pre-1968.

Also, why is it only an issue when the Republicans do this, and not the Democrats?

The Democrats, for the last several years, have been attacking Elon Musk and companies for not following their party lines, and literally acting on it. The "Rural Digital Opportunities Fund" awarded SpaceX $880 million as they were the lowest bidder in providing internet to 650,000 locations, but the FCC revoked their funding when the Democrats took over to get back at Elon Musk. They left Tesla out of the subsidy funding in the EV vehicle subsidy bill, while including the foreign manufacturers. They've been trying to do this to Elon for many years now. Just yesterday, Joe Biden was asked "Do you think Elon Musk is a threat to US national security?" and Biden answered that he " is worthy of being looked at" and when asked "How?" he just said “There’s a lot of ways,” How is the Democrat President Joe Biden and his administration doing this to Elon Musk and SpaceX and Tesla without you guys complaining about Disney not complaining about this?

Both parties have always done this. If you want to get subsidies and special exemptions from the law from the government, you better be friendly to them, regardless of who is in power. I don't like these exemptions and subsidies existing, but lets be fair. I'd be happy to get rid of it for everyone. Thats the right way to raise taxes

What taxes are/were Disney not paying by having Reedy Creek?

And having a governor appointed board is not at all the traditional special district format - the norm is for the board to be chosen by residents or  property owners within the district. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, jrs2 said:

2022_Florida_gubernatorial_election_results_map_by_county.svg.png

Idk not really doing a great job creating a welcoming space by demonizing us as groomers. Florida turned red but it’s not as simple as desantis attacked the “woke”. It’s a super complicated conversation that involves things like party apathy and voter apathy but I will say I am definitely glad I live in the blue island of orange where my representatives actually represent me. Like where’s the endgame for this woke stuff? How many concessions do communities like mine have to make for y’all to be satisfied? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, blt23 said:

What taxes are/were Disney not paying by having Reedy Creek?

And having a governor appointed board is not at all the traditional special district format - the norm is for the board to be chosen by residents or  property owners within the district. 

I do not see any evidence that they were not paying taxes. If anything, they are paying too much. 

Special district boards are run by residents of that district. If the governor appoints someone, it would not follow the typical set and would be more like the expressway boards and the airport boards. But those are government owned assets. 

15 hours ago, aent said:

My beef has always been the way he did it. If in the normal cause of business, they modified the district with no press releases and no angry statements saying this was retaliatory, it would have looked better. 

I do not see any proof that this was any financial benefit except the controlled the permitting and planning process. This is a benefit and guaranteed an easier process to manage and develop theme parks. 

9 hours ago, Ora said:

Idk not really doing a great job creating a welcoming space by demonizing us as groomers. Florida turned red but it’s not as simple as desantis attacked the “woke”. It’s a super complicated conversation that involves things like party apathy and voter apathy but I will say I am definitely glad I live in the blue island of orange where my representatives actually represent me. Like where’s the endgame for this woke stuff? How many concessions do communities like mine have to make for y’all to be satisfied? 

Welcome, my friend. 

I see that you are new to posting here; maybe you're a longstanding visitor.  Welcome regardless. 

My personal and business ties to the gay community are longstanding, but I've beaten a dead horse on all this DeSantis/ Disney stuff.  

What I find more intriguing is what concessions has the gay community had to make to wokeism?

On 11/9/2022 at 5:02 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

Another term for good ol' boy bumbling I like to use is "Country Fried Conservatism", which is not to be confused with actual conservatism, or any cogent political ideology really.
"Thar turnin' mah boyz inta girlz! Yeeehaw!", should not be the rallying cry of a political movement, but damned if it isn't. And damned if this game of make believe isn't costing Florida in the real world.

And yes, lest anyone think I'm partisan, I'm well aware that the left has its own basket of zany concepts ("microaggressions", "Defund the Police", etc.).

you speak a lot like @JFW657ala the extremists within the democratic party.  as for rallying cries for a political party, I don't know the right answer on that.  I've said for years to stay out of the "right to life/ right to choose" political stances yet the GOP keeps doing it (as does the DNC).  I came to the conclusion that it's all fixed (not just because of that).  And the Disney thing is a good example of this...gays are implicated, teachers are implicated, wokeness is implicated,  the First Amendment is implicated, Florida is implicated, CA is implicated, Christians are implicated, liberals are implicated, parental rights are implicated.

It's actually genius when you think about that dynamic.  And at the end of the day absolutely not much gets altered at RCID, yet, all of these groups are either p!ssed or feel disenfranchised.  I couldn't have planned it better myself even if I was in a position to.

23 hours ago, jack said:

There is no proof there is an effort in Florida to teach objectionable material to young children. And K-12 teachers do not have broad based 1st amendment protections while they are teaching. It has already been litigated. University's are very different and do have robust protections in place. Again, I think it is a fake issue

The legislature can try all they want to with universities but they will have an uphill if not losing battle 

so what you're saying is that this is just propaganda or "false flag" issue?

For the record, I was very respectful in my request, but I personally owe @spenser1058an apology for requesting that he take it to the politics thread last week.  Since that time, he apparently quit and a ton of political commentary has ensued on this very thread.  In the same vein that I don't feel that @Orashould feel disenfranchised, neither do I feel @spenser1058should either, even though he would vent the way he would.

36 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Welcome, my friend. 

I see that you are new to posting here; maybe you're a longstanding visitor.  Welcome regardless. 

My personal and business ties to the gay community are longstanding, but I've beaten a dead horse on all this DeSantis/ Disney stuff.  

What I find more intriguing is what concessions has the gay community had to make to wokeism?

My account is new, but I’ve visited this forum since sunrail was a proposal. In terms of wokeism I have never been given a legitimate answer on what that even is. From what I’ve heard many people say the lgtbq+ community specifically now the trans community which deserve all the respect many claim the gay community does is inherently woke. Woke to me just sounds like an easy catchphrase to deny someone who is fighting for their rights. 

Edited by Ora
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so what you're saying is that this is just propaganda or "false flag" issue?

Absolutely. There is so much propaganda that it gets hard to tell fact from fiction. It all has kernels of truth to it but political activist take an issue, turn it up to ten like it happens everywhere all the time. I guess using fear works but it gets old after a while and leads to disengagement. 

Speaking of which, after Trump wagged his finger to DeSantis about getting less votes (which is not comparable), I looked at the turnout numbers from 2018 to this year. We have 1 million more registered voters in the state compared to 4 yeas go but 1 million less people voted this year compared to 4 years ago. I am sure the hurricane had something to do with it. But maybe people just hate the choices they have. 

I heard on a podcast this morning that voters keep sending messages to both political parties that they are not happy but no one is listening. 

24 minutes ago, Ora said:

My account is new, but I’ve visited this forum since sunrail was a proposal. In terms of wokeism I have never been given a legitimate answer on what that even is. From what I’ve heard many people say the lgtbq+ community specifically now the trans community which deserve all the respect many claim the gay community does is inherently woke. Woke to me just sounds like an easy catchphrase to deny someone who is fighting for their rights. 

From my understanding, it is stuff that you don't like. At least that is the way it is used. 

I used the term back in 90's to refer to people that always saw something that was not there. 

17 minutes ago, Ora said:

My account is new, but I’ve visited this forum since sunrail was a proposal. In terms of wokeism I have never been given a legitimate answer on what that even is. From what I’ve heard many people say the lgtbq+ community specifically now the trans community which deserve all the respect many claim the gay community does is inherently woke. Woke to me just sounds like an easy catchphrase to deny someone who is fighting for their rights

my only foray into "woke" is the whole white shaming that has been going on. 

But the term "woke" was coined by the Left; they're the ones on the attack saying people are not "woke,' not the other way around.

If anyone on the right brings up the term, it is just in response to what's been thrown their way in society the past few years.

22 minutes ago, jack said:

Absolutely. There is so much propaganda that it gets hard to tell fact from fiction. It all has kernels of truth to it but political activist take an issue, turn it up to ten like it happens everywhere all the time. I guess using fear works but it gets old after a while and leads to disengagement. 

Speaking of which, after Trump wagged his finger to DeSantis about getting less votes (which is not comparable), I looked at the turnout numbers from 2018 to this year. We have 1 million more registered voters in the state compared to 4 yeas go but 1 million less people voted this year compared to 4 years ago. I am sure the hurricane had something to do with it. But maybe people just hate the choices they have. 

I heard on a podcast this morning that voters keep sending messages to both political parties that they are not happy but no one is listening. 

From my understanding, it is stuff that you don't like. At least that is the way it is used. 

I used the term back in 90's to refer to people that always saw something that was not there. 

well, I've been saying on these boards that there are way more false flags going on than people are willing to acknowledge.  And this thing with the 3rd graders is the least of them.

I'm no apologist for the right, but I will say this...Florida's elections were "clean" based on what's going on in other states (right now), a lot of counties went red.  Floridians may not have agreed with the Disney stuff, but the governor kept the state open for business when forces were really trying to shut it down for political reasons shrouded as medical reasons.  Don't you remember the numbers OIA was getting compared to other airports around the US and world?  Did we forget already? People here see the BS that's been going on in other states, and while they may not be conservative, they know they'll be in a better position with DeSantis than with someone toting the party line that wants to (perceivably) negatively affect peoples' pocket books.

I told people this already and @Orais new here, but I have a gay cousin in GA that finally disavowed the democratic party because of how Joe's policies were adversely affecting his professional medical practice; he finally had enough (even though he disliked Trump).  That's his path, so, good for him.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

my only foray into "woke" is the whole white shaming that has been going on. 

But the term "woke" was coined by the Left; they're the ones on the attack saying people are not "woke,' not the other way around.

If anyone on the right brings up the term, it is just in response to what's been thrown their way in society the past few years.

My knowledge of the term woke comes from the black community that used the term as a joke towards people who were performative in their activism. I don’t think that’s how conservatives use it. It’s definitely not how desantis uses it, and the way he otherises people isn’t safe or healthy for the political climate of Florida or the country in general. That’s the last I’ll touch on it, online debates don’t interest me especially on a city forum. 

50 minutes ago, Ora said:

My knowledge of the term woke comes from the black community that used the term as a joke towards people who were performative in their activism. I don’t think that’s how conservatives use it. It’s definitely not how desantis uses it, and the way he otherises people isn’t safe or healthy for the political climate of Florida or the country in general. That’s the last I’ll touch on it, online debates don’t interest me especially on a city forum. 

wow.  that's interesting about the Black community.  I never heard that before.  but everything I've ever seen in the media, in social media, conversation, etc., mainly has had to do with whites (mainly non-liberals) being targeted as not being "woke," to the point where corporations were even targeted.  So if you've seen someone refer to the "woke," you're probably seeing a reference being made to those "woke activists" who targeted them in the first place. 

https://playfairdata.com/playfair-data-announces-new-office-in-the-smart-city-of-lake-nona/

Playfair Data moves into that new small footprint building with the cool neon-like light strips (at night).

https://latelymag.com/coming-soon-to-lake-nona/

Dnata's new US HQ in Medical City

SIMCOM Aviation Training

Edited by jrs2

On 11/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, Ora said:

Welcome.

My only experience with the term woke prior to this election cycle was exactly what you are saying.  My black friends would use woke in that manner and it was always in jest.

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Welcome.

My only experience with the term woke prior to this election cycle was exactly what you are saying.  My black friends would use woke in that manner and it was always in jest.

yeah, and since then, it has turned into a social activism movement, as we all know very well, created by the Left and imposed on everyone, whether it is individually or through corporate America.

https://www.heritage.org/progressivism/heritage-explains/woke-corporate-capitalism

This was the thing Coke did on "be less white" a couple of years ago:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coca-cola-training-less-white/

The article examines that, while the slides (showing the slogan with the definition below it) were authentic, they may not have been proven to have been included in Coke's diversity training- wait, what? Diversity training? 

And, with regards to the reference by our new member to DeSantis and his use of the term "woke," he makes it sound like DeSantis ...well, here's the quote:

"It’s definitely not how desantis uses it, and the way he otherises people isn’t safe or healthy for the political climate of Florida or the country in general."

Well, DeSantis didn't create the term.  The Left did.  All DeSantis did was to refer to corporations/ financial institutions that discriminate based on political and social beliefs per the article below:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/07/27/speaking-in-tampa--gov--desantis-takes-aim-at--woke-corporations-

I mean, if you can't point to someone acting a certain way, that they themselves defined, then, how can you point to someone acting a certain way? 

All I did was a simple Google search.