Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

On 12/2/2022 at 8:56 AM, aent said:

The first sentence and headline make it sound like they're going to repeal the law, but there is no information about why they think that... the rest of the article makes it seem like they're staying the course, Disney will be losing rights that it was the only corporation in the state to have, and paying more the same taxes, just like DeSantis said. The new RCID will follow current law.

Fixed that for you. 

• 1 month later...

read this online from the Orlando Biz Journal about Disney's new campus in Lake Nona

Highlights from the story:

60 acres.  to be built by 2026. at least 2000 jobs (but sounds like a lot more you will see why) .  

1.8 Million sq ft of Office and flex space  Lake Nona Parcel 20 A

6 office buildings 2 flex buildings, 3 parking garages, and a central plant

6 office buildings are 1.46 M sq ft  small as 167K sq ft and as large as 354K sq ft. 4-7 stories

2 flex buildings total 346,000 sq ft

3 parking garages with 4625 parking spaces (this is why I think you are talking a lot more than 2000 employees)

walkable campus of buildings

NYC based HOK is architect

site is bordered by Lake Nona Blvd to south, Medical City Dr to west, FL 417 to North and Helios Blvd to east. 

did not get a chance to go through Lake Nona this visit but surely will next time I am in the area.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Thanks. That is a nice, detailed view. There is the drill down re the Disney site on GS, but I've not been able to post it due to the format.

I was looking for the exact Disney site too but I noticed they renamed one of the streets adjacent to it but that map clearly shows where it is at.  This is the most important Orlando area economic development announcement in years and years believe me.  I think given how many parking spaces they are building it will be a lot more than 2000 jobs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Is this still happening? I was under the impression that Disney wasn't pursuing this anymore.

not from what I read they are preparing their plans for a huge office campus and they bought the land.  Disney knows this makes sense no matter what is going on what the Reedy Creek situation.  Their stock tanked this past year and they have a new CEO and they need to cost cut.  My belief is they will move as many jobs as they can out of southern California to this site.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Is this still happening? I was under the impression that Disney wasn't pursuing this anymore.

In the end of the day, it was always about money. Woke, not woke, republican, democrat, partisan, non partisan........ it's all semantics and hot air in the media. Florida and Texas are simply more business friendly with less taxes and less red tape. It was a no brainer and always will be a no brainer if you simply are looking at it from a money perspective. 

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

In the end of the day, it was always about money. Woke, not woke, republican, democrat, partisan, non partisan........ it's all semantics and hot air in the media. Florida and Texas are simply more business friendly with less taxes and less red tape. It was a no brainer and always will be a no brainer if you simply are looking at it from a money perspective. 

The fear frenzy drives money which drives power which allows you to make more money with the power.  Rinse and repeat.

Good or bad, nothing lasts forver. That applies to this state administration and the political theater propping this figure up. If a corporation as powerful as Disney wants to truly relocate those jobs, they will do it regardless. And with the RCID story, the administration certainly bit off more than it can chew. The theater will continue, but Disney World and RCID will likley remain intact after this administration keeps flooding the news media with enough content to drown out the Disney story. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Of course. After all the posturing for PR (Disney) and political (DeSantis) purposes, it comes down to the money. I would question the competence of leadership at Disney if they left the tax breaks on the table. Meanwhile, as far as his base is concerned, DeSantis stood up to "woke Disney", regardless of what transpires with RCID. I'm not going to lie, though. I thought for a minute we were going to lose this over the political nonsense. I should have known better.

Edited by Poe Tempkin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Of course. After all the posturing for PR (Disney) and political (DeSantis) purposes, it comes down to the money. I would question the competence of leadership at Disney if they left the tax breaks on the table. Meanwhile, as far as his base is concerned, DeSantis stood up to "woke Disney", regardless of what transpires with RCID. I'm not going to lie, though. I thought for a minute we were going to lose this over the political nonsense. I should have known better.

I thought so too (just a little) until Disney fired their guy when their stock plummeted.   I always pictured a private room with both DeSantis and Disney planning all this for the National Enquirer/ People Magazine media always thirsty for content (when they're not talking about Harry & Megan, Johnny & "It's me, Johnny...it's me", Biden's and Trump's classified Epstein memoirs, or DeSantis' perfect hair helmet second only to Blago). 

The City will make money off this deal b/c Lake Nona is city limits...but with that square footage you could easily build a massive building or two downtown...  oh well... 

But all the drama with Disney regarding Tallahassee aside, what I really want to know is whether they will go back to their original plan for a BL station on their property after all is said and done.  Because, their at bat had them at 0 for 2 very close in time to each other in 2022 which affected Wall Street.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

But all the drama with Disney regarding Tallahassee aside, what I really want to know is whether they will go back to their original plan for a BL station on their property after all is said and done.  Because, their at bat had them at 0 for 2 very close in time to each other in 2022 which affected Wall Street.

It seems like as soon as the "Sunshine Corridor" scheme was announced Disney took their ball and went home. I think they would still benefit from a stop on or very near their property and I hope they re-engage.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

At a company like Disney Parks & Resorts, which was the business unit to be located in Lake Nona, your value proposition ultimately comes from their creative talent, and the talent has expressed their disdain for relocating to Florida. It's already resulted in some pre-emptively leaving the company for competitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if the State's performance in-response to Disney's PR (however poorly it was managed), the disdain for relocation by talent, and the change in leadership has lead to them pulling the project to focus their time and resources elsewhere.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:36 PM, KJHburg said:

not from what I read they are preparing their plans for a huge office campus and they bought the land.  Disney knows this makes sense no matter what is going on what the Reedy Creek situation.  Their stock tanked this past year and they have a new CEO and they need to cost cut.  My belief is they will move as many jobs as they can out of southern California to this site.  

The entire Reedy Creek situation is so overblown. Literally the entire argument is if Disney should operate under the same set of rules as every other business n the state of Florida, a very business friendly state, or if they should get special privileges and be able to operate their own government. Disney can't get anything better anywhere else.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, aleonrivera said:

Good or bad, nothing lasts forver. That applies to this state administration and the political theater propping this figure up. If a corporation as powerful as Disney wants to truly relocate those jobs, they will do it regardless. And with the RCID story, the administration certainly bit off more than it can chew. The theater will continue, but Disney World and RCID will likley remain intact after this administration keeps flooding the news media with enough content to drown out the Disney story. 

DeSantis literally said when signing the law they will create a new RCID to replace the old one. Thats never been doubted by anyone at Disney. They are just losing the ability to have their own private government for tax avoidance purposes, but no service or anything is going away.

8 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

It seems like as soon as the "Sunshine Corridor" scheme was announced Disney took their ball and went home. I think they would still benefit from a stop on or very near their property and I hope they re-engage.

Disneys been super clear they will not consider a train that connects Disney to Universal for many decades now. I don't think thats changing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WAJAS said:

At a company like Disney Parks & Resorts, which was the business unit to be located in Lake Nona, your value proposition ultimately comes from their creative talent, and the talent has expressed their disdain for relocating to Florida. It's already resulted in some pre-emptively leaving the company for competitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if the State's performance in-response to Disney's PR (however poorly it was managed), the disdain for relocation by talent, and the change in leadership has lead to them pulling the project to focus their time and resources elsewhere.

The problem is that many assume that only people with left wing activism tendencies are of value as an imangineer or in a dept of creative talent. That is the misnomer here that many in the press ignore. There are many with left wing tendencies without an activism bend, moderates, and ones with right wing tendencies that would do just a fine job replacing those that chose not to move.

Look, politics aside, some simply may not want to uproot their families and move across the country and if they can get a similar job close to home, why wouldn't they stay for their family?

I can guarantee you that if Universal's counterpart to this division made an announcement that they were moving back to California, I can tell you quite a bit of their local workers would be upset and not want to move there. 

However, a fake narrative on a universal move for them not wanting to move would not be created in the press because it does not fit the media's narrative.

Please don't fall for this garbage. For the few that stay behind in California with this disney move, I would say only a very small handful are doing it for politics. Most would be staying because they simply don't want to move across the country. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

The problem is that many assume that only people with left wing activism tendencies are of value as an imangineer or in a dept of creative talent. That is the misnomer here that many in the press ignore. There are many with left wing tendencies without an activism bend, moderates, and ones with right wing tendencies that would do just a fine job replacing those that chose not to move.

Look, politics aside, some simply may not want to uproot their families and move across the country and if they can get a similar job close to home, why wouldn't they stay for their family?

I can guarantee you that if Universal's counterpart to this division made an announcement that they were moving back to California, I can tell you quit a bit of their local workers would be upset and not want to move their. 

However, a fake narrative on a universal move for them not wanting to move would not be created in the press because it does not fit the media's narrative.

Please don't fall for this garbage. For the few that stay behind in California with this disney move, I would say only a very small handful are doing it for politics. Most would be staying because they simply don't want to move across the country. 

Exactly! And lets not forget that Universal made the exact move from California to Orlando about 20 years ago, with great success, and they announced they are expanding and building a new worldwide HQ facility for this division at Universal here in Orlando just a year or so before Disney announced they were doing it here. And the point is to cut costs... if some expensive people in California quit to avoid doing the move, Disney can replace them with Orlando's talent for far less money. Its expected when they make these moves a significant portion will quit, and that's the point.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 6:35 AM, aent said:

DeSantis literally said when signing the law they will create a new RCID to replace the old one. Thats never been doubted by anyone at Disney. They are just losing the ability to have their own private government for tax avoidance purposes, but no service or anything is going away.

There's no "tax avoidance". It's pure Fox News propaganda that this will lead to Disney "paying their fare share" where they weren't before. But whatever, at least it didn't stop the Lake Nona move.

Edited by Poe Tempkin

On 1/26/2023 at 11:20 PM, WAJAS said:

Well, it's a free country and nobody is obligated to work at a particular place of employment. They can show their true disdain by leaving the company as you've indicated some have and others will. If they have deep ties to California or are just plain disinclined to move to Florida, I don't blame them for moving on. If Disney proceeds with the move they will find alternative talent to fill the positions these folks vacate.

1 hour ago, Poe Tempkin said:

There's no "tax avoidance". It's pure Fox News propaganda that this will lead to Disney "paying their fare share" where they weren't before. But whatever, at least it didn't stop the Lake Nona move.

I've detailed previously exactly what taxes Disney is avoiding paying. My source is not Fox News, its the Orange County Tax Collector. Its public record, they don't pay taxes on things that their competition, such as Universal, does pay taxes on. Don't believe the liberal media.