Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

32 minutes ago, Poe Tempkin said:

I think I missed this in the design images you shared, assuming it is shown. Can you point it out? Or, do you mean right behind the office building as one turns onto Tavistock Lakes Blvd. from Narcoossee Rd.?

See the red circle in the rendering and the highlighted building in the site plan. That is supposed to the be the market.

image.thumb.png.91aa091fb80b2f63531ff84d7d63c5b9.pngimage.thumb.png.b1355a5ab5f58372ce070c9dc7b203ea.png

On 2/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

Do you mean Sunbridge or is The Ranch something else?

I'm assuming The Ranch is Deseret Ranch, while I believe is the largest contiguous land piece left in Central Florida, and largest cattle ranch in the nation.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Poe Tempkin said:

The medical building and associated retail space attached to the Lake Nona Performance Club is nearing completion. So I'm hoping for some "activation" resulting from that. Beyond that, Tavistock's standard reply at HOA meetings and workshops is "we're taking our time to make sure we get it right". So, it's not dead, but it's also not progressing as quickly as many (myself included) might like.

It does seem like they are trying to, they've gone as far as to create their own restaurants and hotel to try to match the experience they want and to attract the companies.

I did forget about the Osceola Parkway extension, that does make Disney's positioning make a bit more sense.

19 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Interesting. I heard a rumor that the reason they're doing all-wood construction in the Weslyn Park subdivision of Sunbridge is that the land owners also own substantial timber land. That might just be a conspiracy theory though. Regardless, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with no block.

block is the way to go...

24 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Personal opinion but Baldwin Park seems to suffer from a lack of "presence" -- there is no "there, there" with Baldwin Park.  

Celebration has that downtown lake and the buildings kind of curve around it; they have the cinema, Colombia Restaurant, and a hotel (which was newer), and shops...

Baldwin has that turnabout where Gators is, leading from Broadway or Broad Street...there is something missing.  Maybe if they had a bid dock or pier there as a centerpiece...

The way the roundabout ends there reminds me of Vero where that one blvd ends at the beach with stuff on both sides.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Urbo said:

They are for sure moving forward with retail within the town center just at a much slower pace than the typical master planned community. They still have 30+ years of development in Lake Nona, and they continued to gain momentum as they pace their design and development.

I believe their priority is to focus on retail development around The Wave. They have a new Japanese inspired restaurant inside The Wave that should open up in the next few months. The One Performance Plaze includes 12,000+ sq. of retail that is "Health Focused." The new office building at 13495 Veterans will have two retail spaces. They do have plans for what is label as a "market" right behind the office building on Tavistock Lakes Blvd. It would be great to have a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. but I think Tavistock may look towards a more creative/innovative grocery or market concept versus a national chain.  A Target would be great closer to the Drive Shack and the new Aloft hotel. 

One Performance Plaza, Orlando, FL for lease Building Photo October 2022- Image 1 of 15One Performance Plaza, Orlando, FL for lease Building Photo October 2022- Image 3 of 15image.thumb.png.36849df1feeae5745332df80d54a4c59.pngimage.thumb.png.b1355a5ab5f58372ce070c9dc7b203ea.pngimage.thumb.png.91aa091fb80b2f63531ff84d7d63c5b9.png

that office bldg next to the performance center I believe is marketed for medical office use...

9 hours ago, Urbo said:

See the red circle in the rendering and the highlighted building in the site plan. That is supposed to the be the market.

Got it. I really hope they put in something unique or court a nice grocer. The low end of the market is more than adequately covered in the immediate area with Bravo and Wal Mart. Publix solidly fills out the middle. Now we need the higher end served.

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

that office bldg next to the performance center I believe is marketed for medical office use...

yes but the one-story building in front of the office building circled in red below is about 12k sq. of retail.

image.thumb.png.6a50d5087832e929084b8e35b3a30d0e.png

58 minutes ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Got it. I really hope they put in something unique or court a nice grocer. The low end of the market is more than adequately covered in the immediate area with Bravo and Wal Mart. Publix solidly fills out the middle. Now we need the higher end served.

I agree. I would imagine because its in town center it would be curated by Tavistock. They try and avoid putting chains in the town center. But if they did Whole Foods would be perfect!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Ron DeSantis is a f***ing moron. And I'm about as apolitical as there is. This piece of s**t is literally responsible for costing thousands of jobs and millions in investment in the Orlando area. F***ing clown.

I feel sad about this, given how hard it has been for the Orlando area over the decades to attract this type of investment.  It’s not like one of his hedge fund friends like Peter Thiel will step in to soften the blow.  Other corporate site selectors will steer clear.  What a s***show. Florida: where woke goes to die along with decent paying jobs.  Bring on the timeshare call centers!

Edited by jliv
  • Like 2

I knew noone wanted to mess with the mouse.  Now I'm just floored by how much damage the mouse can do to your career if you mess with it.

I mean it really says something when you're presidential run needs a reset before you've actually officially announced you're running.  I feel like any momentum he gets going forward is just going to be stalled.  He really stepped in it this time.  He's got to be done politically.

I'll echo the above.  Its a bummer a lot of good jobs got lost before they have even got here.   I feel about this like I feel about old HSR.  Just damn, that really sucks.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Ron DeSantis is a f***ing moron. And I'm about as apolitical as there is. This piece of s**t is literally responsible for costing thousands of jobs and millions in investment in the Orlando area. F***ing clown.

Correction: BILLIONS

What a disaster. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I hope our Governor Ned Lamont is able to poach some Disney jobs from Florida. They're just ripe for the picking like a Florida orange. I remember Rick Scott visited Connecticut to try to steal their businesses and didn't succeed.

DeSatan probably did Disney a favor by canceling this — no one wants to move from LA to Orlando and there is no talent to recruit. 

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Details trickled out from Disney over the years, a major one being the initial prices revealed in 2021. The “sample standard cabin rates” listed for a cabin with two guests, was a total of $4,809 for the two-night experience. That broke down to $1,209 per person per night.

all Cosell references aside, that's a pretty steep price.  Don't know what that has to do with DeSantis though.  But DeSantis makes a good scapegoat for Disney's failures. 

If there's one thing I know about the Disney business model, they do not rob Peter to pay Paul; if an attraction isn't cutting the mustard, they cancel it; they don't fund it from elsewhere.

As a Star Wars fan, I will say today what I said when Obama was still president and when DeSantis was...somewhere... Disney pulled down its trousers and took a massive dump on the Star Wars franchise/story. It's been catching up with them ever since.  They pat each other on the back b/c they continue to dupe Star Wars fans in seeing the new release at the cinema, but, all of those movies sucked except for Rogue One.  And when you invest $$$ in the new Star Wars stuff based on the new movies, that suck, don't expect the classic era fans to continue sniffing those Taco Bell farts...

They said there's a writer's strike and that is negatively affecting them this past year.  Maybe other film studios, because not a whole lot of good writing has been happening at all ala Star Wars by Disney the past 8 years.

This Star Wars hotel was supposed to be the culmination of the franchise' popularity.  It tanked.  They need to improve their product and stay in the business of creating a good product. It's a good thing they also have Marvel b/c Guardians 3 was good.

If CSPAN wants to question Elon Musk ala his opinions and how they affect stockholders, then Disney should be placed under the  same exact scrutiny, because their stocks were affected a whole lot this past year because of their opinions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, codypet said:

I knew noone wanted to mess with the mouse.  Now I'm just floored by how much damage the mouse can do to your career if you mess with it.

I mean it really says something when you're presidential run needs a reset before you've actually officially announced you're running.  I feel like any momentum he gets going forward is just going to be stalled.  He really stepped in it this time.  He's got to be done politically.

I'll echo the above.  Its a bummer a lot of good jobs got lost before they have even got here.   I feel about this like I feel about old HSR.  Just damn, that really sucks.

While I was disappointed about the HSR when it didn't happen the first time around, I feel like we're getting something better, Brightline's quality of service and schedule appears to be way better then what the original HSR was, and as a destination with more transit options, Miami/South Florida first is better then Tampa first IMO. I think that situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise, that also helped us save tax dollars for other projects.

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

DeSatan probably did Disney a favor by canceling this — no one wants to move from LA to Orlando and there is no talent to recruit. 

Its likely this is the real reason it was cancelled. When Disney announced this project, they said it was going to be done in like 2 years. Its been more then 2 years, when the project was supposed to be completed already, and they never moved any dirt. Shortly after the announcement, there was pushback from those in California that they really hated this plan and thought Disney was evil for doing it. Because of the pushback from California, Disney delayed fairly quickly, and kept delaying. There was rumors this project was cancelled before the DeSantis-Disney feud even started. It sure seems that this was just politically convenient to announce that they're spending a ton of money in Florida, and then cancel it blaming DeSantis, rather then just saying they didn't really plan to pursue it. Remember, most of the other projects that Disney announced at the same time as this Lake Nona campus didn't come to fruition either, and have been quietly cancelled. 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Details trickled out from Disney over the years, a major one being the initial prices revealed in 2021. The “sample standard cabin rates” listed for a cabin with two guests, was a total of $4,809 for the two-night experience. That broke down to $1,209 per person per night.

all Cosell references aside, that's a pretty steep price.  Don't know what that has to do with DeSantis though.  But DeSantis makes a good scapegoat for Disney's failures. 

100% correct.

I'm extremely disappointed Disney is abandoning this project, but... Disney is procrastinating these projects, promising things to get value, then quietly cancelling them over and over again. This shouldn't be surprising, even though it is disappointing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, aent said:

While I was disappointed about the HSR when it didn't happen the first time around, I feel like we're getting something better, Brightline's quality of service and schedule appears to be way better then what the original HSR was, and as a destination with more transit options, Miami/South Florida first is better then Tampa first IMO. I think that situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise, that also helped us save tax dollars for other projects.

I would have just preferred the original electric rolling stock to the Diesel electric that we're getting.  I feel like that's going to limit us on speeds in the future.

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

I would have just preferred the original electric rolling stock to the Diesel electric that we're getting.  I feel like that's going to limit us on speeds in the future.

While sure, electric would have been nicer (although Brightline has hinted the Tampa portion may still be electric and they may use hybrid locomotives when the Tampa extension opens), we ended up with much better passenger cars, much better stations, and a much better schedule, and less taxes, in exchange for worse locomotives.

6 hours ago, orange87 said:

I hope our Governor Ned Lamont is able to poach some Disney jobs from Florida. They're just ripe for the picking like a Florida orange. I remember Rick Scott visited Connecticut to try to steal their businesses and didn't succeed.

I don't see parks / Imagineering moving to Connecticut, where Disney has zero presence, even if the business climate is friendlier. Man, I thought Rick Scott was bad until this stuffed suit took up residence in Tallahassee.

5 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

— no one wants to move from LA to Orlando and there is no talent to recruit. 

The first point may apply to some people. The second point isn't true. Either way, Meatball Ron really bungled this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jliv said:

I feel sad about this, given how hard it has been for the Orlando area over the decades to attract this type of investment.  It’s not like one of his hedge fund friends like Peter Thiel will step in to soften the blow.  Other corporate site selectors will steer clear.  What a s***show. Florida: where woke goes to die along with decent paying jobs.  Bring on the timeshare call centers!

Thiel recently said he is rethinking moving to Florida because it has gotten too expensive. 

7 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Correction: BILLIONS

What a disaster. 

I've said this before about DeSantis and his MAGA minions and I'll say it again. Any wacky beliefs you have are yours to hold, but when they have real world impacts, to include harming vulnerable minority groups and bad economic side effects, they become everyone's problem. These MAGAfied freaks need to be shown the door before they ruin Florida's economy entirely. It might already be too late for Florida's reputation.

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If there's one thing I know about the Disney business model, they do not rob Peter to pay Paul; if an attraction isn't cutting the mustard, they cancel it; they don't fund it from elsewhere.

As a Star Wars fan, I will say today what I said when Obama was still president and when DeSantis was...somewhere... Disney pulled down its trousers and took a massive dump on the Star Wars franchise/story. It's been catching up with them ever since.  They pat each other on the back b/c they continue to dupe Star Wars fans in seeing the new release at the cinema, but, all of those movies sucked except for Rogue One.  And when you invest $$$ in the new Star Wars stuff based on the new movies, that suck, don't expect the classic era fans to continue sniffing those Taco Bell farts...

They said there's a writer's strike and that is negatively affecting them this past year.  Maybe other film studios, because not a whole lot of good writing has been happening at all ala Star Wars by Disney the past 8 years.

This Star Wars hotel was supposed to be the culmination of the franchise' popularity.  It tanked.  They need to improve their product and stay in the business of creating a good product. It's a good thing they also have Marvel b/c Guardians 3 was good.

If CSPAN wants to question Elon Musk ala his opinions and how they affect stockholders, then Disney should be placed under the  same exact scrutiny, because their stocks were affected a whole lot this past year because of their opinions.

The stuff on Disney+ is pretty good. The trilogy was a mix of okay to infuriating. Princess Leia using the force to float through space with no space suit? Come on man! She would have froze to death. 

Elon was accused of knowingly making false and misleading statements to generate a higher stock price. 

$1,209 per person is. bit steep. Especially since it is not just the total room price. 

Edited by jack

12 hours ago, jack said:

The stuff on Disney+ is pretty good. The trilogy was a mix of okay to infuriating. Princess Leia using the force to float through space with no space suit? Come on man! She would have froze to death. 

Elon was accused of knowingly making false and misleading statements to generate a higher stock price. 

$1,209 per person is. bit steep. Especially since it is not just the total room price. 

that was not the subject of what CSPAN was talking about in that interview with him at all.  they were saying that his voicing his opinions of a political nature would negatively affect his stock, and Elon said he didn't care.

As for Disney+, I've watched all of the Star Wars series thus far... Mandalorian of course is the best one. 

But as far as Marvel goes, I liked Loki.  To be fair, they could show Tom Hiddleston fapping for an hour at a baseball game or just ranting about any subject like he usually does...with Owen Wilson...at a coffee shop... and I would watch it.  His rants remind me of Clerks and how they would rant about stuff.  

Disney lost me when Kathleen Kennedy told Lucas they didn't need his opinions about the direction the story was going- when he already had a rough screenplay drafted.