Old convention center

citywatcher

I was downtown this past saturday night and as me and my wife were walking, I noticed that all the traffic stopped across the

street from the Convention Center. Nothing was happening beyond that point; the street was empty. Question? Do you think it would be a good idea to change

the present convention center into a mall of some sort, Granted the Proposed convetion center will be built? IMO I think a mall facing broadway

will get more attention and buisness than the previous mall that faced Church street.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a Target would make bank down there. But parking would be the big issue with it, plus I am sure they would want some type of TIFF Funding and I don't know that Nashville would want that for a big box retailer. I could be wrong though.

I think a Target would make bank down there. But parking would be the big issue with it, plus I am sure they would want some type of TIFF Funding and I don't know that Nashville would want that for a big box retailer. I could be wrong though.

The CC site could be something pretty cool and functional. It was originally built in a big hole sheer cut out of the rock. Drop a public garage in the hole with some 2-4 story buildings on top, in the same scale as the Honky Tonks. Compliment and extend the the tourist district while adding a significant garage (free parking perhaps) to serve the neighborhood.

I can understand wanting to extend the honky tonk type atmosphere however everyone who goes downtown may not be interested in that type of enviornment. There needs to be a little more diversity downtown in regards to tourist as well as nashvillians spending money. Personaly, i like the atmosphere but IMO I think there needs to be a little more to do than just go bar hopping..(did I spell that right) ^_^

It is more than bar hopping! It is cultural rich with music, the alcohol is just a by product. :) I think something like a Bluebird, etc. would be great in thisw area. We have other areas of downtown, i.e the riverfront where we can do more civic, local attractions.

I am not necessarily advocating an extension of or increase in the number of "Honky Tonks" per say, but that any buildings be built to a similar scale as those housing the honky tonks so that architecturally, the historic buildings are not overwhelmed. This might lend for more density/height off Broadway along Commerce, but along Broadway, bring the historic scale back. Hopefully this would create a more vibrant pedestrian area. This area could be a great zone for 1-3 new restaurants, something downtown seems IMO to be sorely lacking, together with shops that would compliment other downtown offerings. The area along Commerce might best be suited for high rise office or some use that would be a daytime demand driver for parking so that the garage below might stay full. This would also add a host of people to patronize the new lower scale development along Broadway. A high rise along Commerce would also compliment and match the scale of the new SunTrust building as well as the Renaissance hotel. This could help form a good street wall along Commerce. Visually, it would also provide a nice transitional step up (looking north from Broadway) to Signature Tower.

I think we have at least 7-10 years until any redevelopment on this site occurs, so it seems like the city has a bit of time to figure this out. It's defiantly an important site as one of the gateways to downtown.

I am not necessarily advocating an extension of or increase in the number of "Honky Tonks" per say, but that any buildings be built to a similar scale as those housing the honky tonks so that architecturally, the historic buildings are not overwhelmed. This might lend for more density/height off Broadway along Commerce, but along Broadway, bring the historic scale back. Hopefully this would create a more vibrant pedestrian area. This area could be a great zone for 1-3 new restaurants, something downtown seems IMO to be sorely lacking, together with shops that would compliment other downtown offerings. The area along Commerce might best be suited for high rise office or some use that would be a daytime demand driver for parking so that the garage below might stay full. This would also add a host of people to patronize the new lower scale development along Broadway. A high rise along Commerce would also compliment and match the scale of the new SunTrust building as well as the Renaissance hotel. This could help form a good street wall along Commerce. Visually, it would also provide a nice transitional step up (looking north from Broadway) to Signature Tower.

I think we have at least 7-10 years until any redevelopment on this site occurs, so it seems like the city has a bit of time to figure this out. It's defiantly an important site as one of the gateways to downtown.

I think your ideas sound great and perfectly reasonable to me. I would love to see this happen on the old CC site.

Something that fits in well with the tourist district would be awesome.. I like what was done with the Paradise Park building, IMO a great twist on the honky tonk theme without adding more of the same.

Ditto. I may have mislead just mentioning a possible expansion of honky tonks into that area. The area can and should have much, much more. What is important is that the look a feel of the area of lower Broadway be extended further up the street, and the historic scale of the street be preserved. I also like the idea about high rise office on Commerce.

Archived