Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArtInRuins

Photos of Providence from 1976

7 posts in this topic

Found this in my travels (thanks Eltron) and thought I'd share with everyone... great photos of the ghost town that Providence was back in 1976. Some of the architecture is left over from the 50s and 60s... and it is nice to see that some storefronts that were "cleaned up" with 50s stucco or stone, have since been returned to their original splendor (the Citizens on Westminster, near the Turks Head, is a great example of that.)

Providence: A portfolio by Jay Boersma

A long-term project of mine is now to reshoot some of these locations as a before and after. i think some of the photos would be even more striking when placed next to the modern day.

Found this in my travels (thanks Eltron) and thought I'd share with everyone... great photos of the ghost town that Providence was back in 1976. Some of the architecture is left over from the 50s and 60s... and it is nice to see that some storefronts that were "cleaned up" with 50s stucco or stone, have since been returned to their original splendor (the Citizens on Westminster, near the Turks Head, is a great example of that.)

Providence: A portfolio by Jay Boersma

A long-term project of mine is now to reshoot some of these locations as a before and after. i think some of the photos would be even more striking when placed next to the modern day.

I think I already dropped these in the "providence press" thread a while back, but thanks for reviving them! I actually have a question about one of them; I rack my brains about it, but I can't seem to figure out where it was taken.

Thanks ARTInRuins. Boy, do those photos bring back some memories. ^_^

Thanks ARTInRuins. Boy, do those photos bring back some memories. ^_^

The photos are terrific. Interesting how much of the old cobblestone streets were still around in 1976. Were they torn up or paved over? They were bumpy to ride on but they sure looked great.