How Clean is the Providence River

09/21/38

Is the Providence River clean enough to swim in? Probably not without some tetnus shots first. And a wet suit. But it seems a lot cleaner than it used to be.

I would like to start a swim around providence event that would draw attention to further cleaning up the Providence River and its tributaries. the SAve the Bay swim is across the cleanest part of the bay. More attention needs to be on the upper bay and specifically in Providence. Where the water is still polluted.

There are small sail boats, the Brown rowing teams, the Gondolla boats, kayaks, etc. using the river. But how clean is the water?

With all of the development proposed in or near the rivers doesn't it make sense to have the rivers clean. Or as clean as possible.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd be willing to guess that it's not clean enough for most people to willingly swim sober. i wouldn't be willing to get in the water sober or drunk.

it's a good idea, but i have a feeling save the bay does it in the cleanest part to avoid any health risks.

You can find information about water quality in a couple places...

-The State's Integrated Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Report

-Shellfishing closures (gives you an idea of bacterial contamination problems)

-Beach closures from the Dept. of Health.

Providence River is cleaner than it used to be, but swimming here still not a great idea...

Is the Providence River clean enough to swim in? Probably not without some tetnus shots first. And a wet suit. But it seems a lot cleaner than it used to be.

I would like to start a swim around providence event that would draw attention to further cleaning up the Providence River and its tributaries. the SAve the Bay swim is across the cleanest part of the bay. More attention needs to be on the upper bay and specifically in Providence. Where the water is still polluted.

There are small sail boats, the Brown rowing teams, the Gondolla boats, kayaks, etc. using the river. But how clean is the water?

With all of the development proposed in or near the rivers doesn't it make sense to have the rivers clean. Or as clean as possible.

I kayaked the Providence River last year, from the dock by the new Irish Potato Famine Memorial, up to the mall. All I can say is my kayak hasn't melted, and shows no ill effects from the water! It was a nice paddle actually - a peaceful early evening, nice views of the city...

I kayaked the Providence River last year, from the dock by the new Irish Potato Famine Memorial, up to the mall. All I can say is my kayak hasn't melted, and shows no ill effects from the water! It was a nice paddle actually - a peaceful early evening, nice views of the city...

So shouldn't there be signs posted along the waterfront that say contact with the water is not recommended. When you ride the gondola does the gondollear say to wash your hands after the ride. When the Brown crew teams practice on the Seekonk river do they wear gloves? And take showers?

I know I have seen some signs that warn people not to eat the fish but what about contact with the water?

Do the Waterfire volunteers worry about contact with the water?

The sewer overflows that happen in rainstorms are the biggest problem. I would wait until there has not been a storm for a few weeks before I tried swimming right in Providence. Even at its worst, if you have no open wounds or sores and can keep your mouth, nose, eyes and ears out of the water you should be fine after washing up. Maybe goggles will help. I have seen kids swimming at Fox Point and in the Seekonk River. Who knows if they associate their cases of pinkeye and diarrhea with their summer fun.

I have never swum north of Conimicut and Barrington, but I will be game if the big sewage overflow storage project works like they say it will.

About the fish they catch in Providence, don't worry. The bluefish and stripers grow up swimming all over. The bacteria and viruses in the Providence River do not make it into their flesh. Cooking kills any parasites. (Leave sushi to the pros). PCBs and mercury accumulate over the life of the fish and will be the same whether you catch them off the hurricane barrier or off Block Island.

Archived