Hypermiling

I've heard several reports lately about people hypermiling and getting up to 4 times the EPA's estimate of MPG on even some gas guzzling cars.

I've tried with my last tank in my company car, an '08 Chevrolet Uplander with a 3.6L V6, to do the speed limit, run the air as little as possible, driving the speed limit, not to let the RPM's get over 2K, and use neutral going down hills. While I probably won't adopt all of their practices, trying to drive in a truck's slipstream is extremely dangerous IMO, I am impressed so far. Look at my results for the first half tank in this car (believe me or not.)

hypermiles.jpg

Do you hypermile or are u thinking about trying it??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried driving about 60-65 mph, with windows up and AC off, for about a week.

Few issues:

1. There is the fact I do 90% of my driving in Massachusetts... [sarcasm] the home of America's greatest drivers [/sarcasm]. What I would like to do while driving may not always happen cause of the other people out there.

2. I tend to drive about 65-75 on the highway anyway.

3. I drive a 2.2L four cylinder '99 Cavalier, which does decent in gas mileage anyway

That one week I got some mpg improvement, but nothing drastic. In 2008, I've been averaging 30-31 mpg. That one week I got around 32.

I do it some, but not the point where it would be dangerous to others or myself. I drive the speed generally between 55-65 where its allowed, don't start the vehicle until I am actually going to drive (meaning not starting it, then putting on seatbelt, adjusting seat, etc.), immediately turn off the engine the second I park before I do anything else, don't use the a/c, coast where I can (without putting it in neutral. I just let go of the gas and let gravity do the rest and apply brake as need to keep control), let the vehicle slow down on its own without of the brake when I see a red light up ahead and don't slam the gas when it turns green again.

Well, I finished the tank of gas were I took the picture of 41+ MPG. By the end it had dropped to showing 30.2 (I had the aid of going down a very long hill to achieve that pic.) When I calculated the MPG, I figured 29.4. Thats about a 3 mpg increase over the best I've ever recorded in the van. The next tank started out with city driving, so the MPG started out lower but I've gotten up to 25 as of this post with almost 2/3 of a tank left.

From what I've researched, there are a few hazards to running and automatic in neutral WITH the engine running. They mainly are dealing with putting the car back in gear and accidently going into reverse. I would never run in neutral without the engine running in an automatic. When I have put it in neutral, I have seen a jump in fuel economy. I never put it in neutral unless I feel it is safe at that time.

Archived