George Bush

monsoon

I think an important distinction is that the US was engaged against a state military (where the vast majority served because they were required to or because of the wages and benefits associated with military service). Here, the US is engaged against a "military" comprised of individuals whose principals are directly aligned with their non-state sponsor(s). To respond to your last question, I imagine that nearly all of the captured and imprisoned "hated" the US and sought to kill Americans, well before their contact with the US military. I also think that these distinctions are material with respect to how much intelligence the US military could extract by playing games with detainees. I just don't think that the average Iraqi POW in 1991 was as devoted to the cause as the average WOT detainee.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Bush signed a last minute memo giving himself perpetual executive priviledge to deny Congress, or anyone else, to force any of his henchmen to testify. They are still trying to get Rove to talk -- if there isn't anything to hide or nothing to be worried about, why not talk? Fortunately he is no longer president and this 'priviledge' he decided upon for himself will likely be thrown out after a bunch of legal manuevering.

If you have nothing to hide, get it over with and speak. If you do you deserve all the punishment that might be coming your way. Torture, secrecy, goverment officials above the law -- doesn't sound like the United States I grew up in -- much more like the enemies we had and have. Thankfully we've thrown them out and hopefully we'll go back to the way we operated before them.

Archived