It's all about the bike

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh. That answers some of the questions I had about those bikes. Very nice.

Now to see if my 20" Dahon is fit enough for tonight's PedalGR ride.

You'll get to see Amy and I on ours if you make it out to the ride tonight. I'd be more than willing to answers any more questions or give you a test ride (if there's time), although Veloise surely knows more about the Counterpoint/Viewpoint than I do.

Here is a link to an article about BikeEd safety training.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0825/p01s01-usec.html

Yesterday on NPR's "Talk of the Nation" was a discussion of the "war" between auto drivers and all the new bicycle commuters. Mostly the air words were less than informative. (Long interview with the guy running for office in San Francisco who claims that use of bicycles creates more air pollution by delaying motorists.) Some of the comments on the "blog of the nation" are worth reading: http://www.npr.org/blogs/talk/2008/08/car_...#commentSection

One of the Rapid's buses is now equipped with a bicycle rack which accomodates 3 bikes. I've seen it only once. Not sure if the entire fleet will be modified with this new rack or if they will slowly be replaced or what.

The spot closest to the bus is still in the center like normal. The other two are offset from eachother and angled slighty. It's black and yellow, and is on one of the newer blue-swooshy buses.

• 3 weeks later...

Some bike riders need to use a little common sense. I drive Ann Street east of Alpine every morning. I have not seen a bike rider on that stretch at 6:45AM all spring or summer. About a week ago, real dark morning, I meet a biker riding in the street against traffic - dark clothing , no reflectorized clothing. I wasn't expecting a bike and if it wasn't for the pathetically dim headlight I would have never seen him. Fortunately there was no one in the adjacent lane and I swerved left into the adjacent lane and missed him. My adrenaline was racing for a few minutes - way to close for my comfort. I hope he realized how close I came to hitting him. A week or so later, I see what I believe is the same guy riding the same way.

Some bike riders need to use a little common sense. I drive Ann Street east of Alpine every morning. I have not seen a bike rider on that stretch at 6:45AM all spring or summer. About a week ago, real dark morning, I meet a biker riding in the street against traffic - dark clothing , no reflectorized clothing. I wasn't expecting a bike and if it wasn't for the pathetically dim headlight I would have never seen him. Fortunately there was no one in the adjacent lane and I swerved left into the adjacent lane and missed him. My adrenaline was racing for a few minutes - way to close for my comfort. I hope he realized how close I came to hitting him. A week or so later, I see what I believe is the same guy riding the same way.

When I encounter a potential ghost biker in the making, I always inform him/her of what might be improved. The difficulty is that even a succinct message yelled out the car window invariably comes across as, "OOOA WHOOOHOOO!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is OK if I move this thread into the Green Grand Rapids section?

Some of it doesn't pertain to the green master plan. Maybe start a new one there?

The Connections thread heading could host topics like bike racks, and this one can cover minutiae like "the bike in the river."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived