It's all about the bike

Wow - thanks for all of the helpful information (much more than I was anticipating - but very appreciated)!

I'm definitely hoping that my asthma will lessen as I get more exercise, but I can't take the temporary breathing problems until after this weekend at least - part of the concerts I'm in this weekend (Calvin Alumni Choir) is a 16-person ensemble singing Bach's Singet Dem Herrn, which is 8-part, and it has some long runs; we're performing at St. Andrew's cathedral, so the tempo is quite slow; to make a long story short, I can't afford the loss of breath support this week.

I'd love to keep going year-round - I just need to get my asthma under control, my butt into gear, and to convince my wife that cycling in the winter can be done safely.

I agree with what Veloise said. If you want some more hands on direction, you can take one of the Smart Cycling courses offered in town. Obviously, you can't make it to my course on Saturday, 5/16 (but others are still welcome), but there is another one on three Tuesday nights, 5/19, 5/26, 6/2 from 6-9pm.

I'll also likely be scheduling some more for later in the summer.

More information at http://www.pedalgr.com/smartcycling

Veloise is also a certified instructor.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly there's plans to upgrade the Kent Trails. Kent Trails are 8ft. wide and the standard width is now 10ft. That's all I heard from the interviewer from the GRPress. I basically told him as long as the uneven bumps from root growth are fixed, I'm happy.

Plans confirmed - grind up the existing pavement, widen and repave at 10 feet:)

• 4 weeks later...

New bicycle shop coming....DT!

In yesterday's open-air meeting with Jay, he mentioned a new bike shop opening on Division, this side of Cherry. (For some reason he thought I might have an interest.) Apparently this is going to happen very soon.

This will be close enough to provide bicycle rentals to conventioneers (hire a pedicab to haul yourself over there).

(memo to self: stop typing at home, go reconnoiter it)

New bicycle shop coming....DT!

In yesterday's open-air meeting with Jay, he mentioned a new bike shop opening on Division, this side of Cherry. (For some reason he thought I might have an interest.) Apparently this is going to happen very soon.

This will be close enough to provide bicycle rentals to conventioneers (hire a pedicab to haul yourself over there).

(memo to self: stop typing at home, go reconnoiter it)

A little birdie told me that he was planning to open on June 20th, but that was a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if he's still on schedule for that date. The shop will be in one of the live/work spaces on South Division, so I don't know that he would have room for rentals. It would be great if he could try it, though.

I'll know more after tomorrow. I'm very excited to finally have a shop nearby!

Looking forward to that shop.

So, just a reminder...I made the mistake of proceeding through the roundabout on Wealthy/LaFayette yesterday without (intentionally) stopping and was nearly killed (forced dismount). I learned that I cannot assume drivers sitting their will yield to cyclists even in the right-of-way. Don't make the same mistake I did.

So, just a reminder...I made the mistake of proceeding through the roundabout on Wealthy/LaFayette yesterday without (intentionally) stopping and was nearly killed (forced dismount). I learned that I cannot assume drivers sitting their will yield to cyclists even in the right-of-way. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I'm glad you avoided an incident. Sure has been some great riding weather, though (today excluded).

Just an idea: wear something that can't help but be noticed.

lg-bike3.jpg

(puchased at some 24/7/364 place based in the area)

ArtPrize bike sharing...from another discussion group

Greetings,

This is the follow up invitation to the meeting regarding bike share & artprize. At this point, it is still a moving target, so there will likely not be a formal proposal at the meeting. We hope to have things much more defined though. We're looking for suggestions, obstacles, ways to avoid hurt feelings & bad tastes in people's mouths afterwards. We want to minimize negatives and focus on positives and the conviction that this IS possible.

The meeting is July 2 (Thursday) at 3:00pm at the GR Parking Department's conference room at 50 Ottawa NW. Their office is at the corner of Louis & Ottawa & has a street entrance for those not driving (which, given the subject, should be most of us!). Otherwise, parking tickets may be validated in Parking's office.

Please feel free to email any thoughts or questions you have as they come up: the sooner we can address them, the better.

Thanks & see you there,

Jane Lovett

454-8000

Hah, I got 'em both! Heckuva way to avoid a code violation (adding wheels obviates requirements such as the five-minute message board, square footage, and other parameters.)

bilboard.jpg

(She's holding my kickstand-free bike for me)

The fellow tells me that he started this company, he's based in Rockford, the things weigh about 150# (I would not like to ride one down the White Pine Trail). The billboards are available for hire; he and the wife are unrelated to UCC.

Cool idea. I can just see DT infested with pedicabs and bike billboards on a Saturday night.

^^ Good grief. How well does it illuminate potholes?

What about the bozos who ride on the sidewalk, cut across an intersection, ride along the left curb (wrong way), return to the middle of the street, swerve, etc.?

Veloise,

What about them? I don't think this product is meant to illuminate potholes or address any of those other issues. It's to reinforce for automobile drivers the space they need to give while passing someone riding in the street where they are supposed to be. I imagine it would be added to the proper lighting a well prepared cyclist is already using.

Archived