Esserman and Cicilline bad for Providence?

Mij

Has Daivd dropped the ball? Is he hurting his chances of becoming governor. Is Esserman in need of replacement? Lately is seems like bad news keeps coming out of providence like a bad underage drinking story comes out of Barrington. While you always want to give you elected officials the benefit of a doubt (even more so when you voted for them) The bad news dose not stop coming

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I was told was there were complaints from businesses and residents in the state house area that embers were landing on their buildings, the fire marshal decided the risk of fire was too high when launching them from there. There was a plan to launch them from a barge in the Providence River (outside the hurricane barrier) but no one in the city bothered to apply for the appropriate permits until early last week, and the Coast Guard laughed at them when they tried to apply Monday for Friday.

Fire Works aside, Esserman has been a god awful chief, and Cicilline is looking worst for the ware because of it. The continued episodes with Channel 10 and Projo make city hall look terrible. Cicilline is dropping in popularity, taking a shot of at the gov was week at best, and the fire works was no biggie but the truth behind that` is fire cheif would not sign off due to lack of contract and other unwarranted city hall attacks towards their union. The politics are getting to a new level of creepiness... I think some serious debate as to weather Cicilline should be in the conversation for gov should start here.

It has been reported that several high ranking officers take their official city cars home which has raised some eyebrows. They respond to emergencies at all hours of the day and night. They are on duty 24/7. The other poster seems concerned that one Lt lives in NE CT and drives his city vehicle there. Well, he choose to live there. Projo just loves to report things like this in order to excite the public furor. In my opinion this was all about nothing. And as Col. Esserman stated, " I don't tell them where to live, I tell them what to do". If all high ranking officers were to utilize their own personal vehicles for travel to and from work the city would probably have to reimburse them for gas and wear and tear anyhow. Perhaps the other poster doesn't realize that virtually all state troopers take their cruisers home, from the lowest trooper to the Col. himself. If the Providence Police supervisors were using their department vehicles for personal uses, then maybe I'd have a problem with that. But not with this.

When I posted this thread I did it with the understanding that this board has some very bias contributors and some very smart rebutters. Frankie you paint a very rosy picture of Esserman. The fact his reputation is that of an over baring

From my point of view, Esserman has done a great job. The police force, (particularly the district commanders) is transparant, available, and connected to the community. Community policing has been effective and crime is down everywhere. I would say that qualifies as success.

I have to say that I, also, have had really good experiences with Esserman and think that, overall, he is doing a really great job in terms of making his officers accountable and accessible to the community. I can't speak for how he is as a boss, but I think there have been some pretty good results in the neighborhoods of this city due to his approach as a community partner.

Archived