Downtown Street Vending?

Downtown Dogs

I am starting up a mobile food business selling premium hot dogs. I am a Greenville resident but am looking at Spartanburg for my location. I am a USCS (not USCU!) graduate, so I am familiar with the area although it has drastically changed in recent years.

Do you think there is enough foot traffic on Main St. to support such a venture? What spots would y'all recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Downtown Dogs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am starting up a mobile food business selling premium hot dogs. I am a Greenville resident but am looking at Spartanburg for my location. I am a USCS (not USCU!) graduate, so I am familiar with the area although it has drastically changed in recent years.

Do you think there is enough foot traffic on Main St. to support such a venture? What spots would y'all recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Downtown Dogs

I'm very excited to hear that you are thinking about bringing this concept to Spartanburg :thumbsup:

If you want maximum visibility, you're going to want to target the Morgan Square area, ideally somewhere near Church Street, but the other end, near the Gen. Morgan statue could work too.

Being realistic though, I don't know what kind of foot traffic you're going to need to support a location. I can't honestly say for certain how many people will stop for a dog on the square during the summer... we don't have the shade of Gville's Main Street yet. Definitely on cooler days you would see some traffic.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I will probably have more to say later :)

A buddy of mine thought about this concept several months ago and even asked the Mayor about it at a party. He did not think it was a good idea because it would rob several restaurants of business. I however think it is a great idea and am surprised no one has acted on it until now. You have ExtendedStay, Advance America, and several banks all at your finger tips. I would set up right in front of the statue. All you need is a business license to operate and no one can block that. I am truly surprised that none of the hot dog operators in the SC such as Ikes or Holmes have never thought to set up a stand downtown.

A buddy of mine thought about this concept several months ago and even asked the Mayor about it at a party. He did not think it was a good idea because it would rob several restaurants of business. I however think it is a great idea and am surprised no one has acted on it until now. You have ExtendedStay, Advance America, and several banks all at your finger tips. I would set up right in front of the statue. All you need is a business license to operate and no one can block that. I am truly surprised that none of the hot dog operators in the SC such as Ikes or Holmes have never thought to set up a stand downtown.

Interesting to hear the Mayor say that the vendor would hurt restaurants. How short sighted! It seems to me something is going on in Milwaukee as I've noticed a recently decline in vendors (from very successful locations) and complaints from restaurant owners. Very unfortunate as street vendors truly add life and vibrancy to a city. So good luck!

Sparkleman, I've often wondered the same thing about Ike's, etc.

I appreciate your input. I was thinking somewhere on Main near Morgan Square. I am concerned that there might not be enough business people in that area to support a cart for lunch (11 - 2). The other end of Main near Denny's may be better to support the lunch crowd, especially considering all the restaurants that are concentrated on Morgan Square. As far as foot traffic goes, I would need to sell approximately 100 dogs per day on average to make it. Main St. has some very nice, wide (17 ft?) sidewalks that would be perfect for such a venture. I am a few weeks away from nailing down spots and seeking permitting. I have been doing some informal foot traffic counts and it is promising so far. I'll be doing more in the next couple of weeks.

During festivals and what not, I bet it a hot dog stand would do quite well. Problem is that Barnet park is not a destination park like Falls park in Greenville. It doesn't and will never attract the volumes that Falls does. Its designed to host events- and granted they can handle much larger events than Falls Park.

No, Spartanburg just doesn't people to assume that we're trying to copy Greenville.

That said, there are certain elements of a vibrant city that are not unique to Greenville and Spartanburg should embrace them. Hotdog carts fall into that category. Come up to Charlotte, I'll take y'all to tons of them. And a donut stand. And a pretzel stand. And a BBQ stand (errr... trailor/truck thing).

I really hate to hear that mentality exists at the City of Spartanburg Zoning Office. I hope that anyone living in Spartanburg will call their council representative to complain about this. Please keep us updated with your progress, and let us know if there's anything we can do.

Keep up the argument about ANY festival- not just the Panthers Camp. they also allow them at events at Barnet Park or Spring Fling. Its all the same concept.

Any idiot can see that a hotdog cart is a key piece of a vibrant city!!!

Man this is one of the things about the "SC" that really burns me up! Why do these clowns want to keep us in the dark ages? Ok Downtown Dogs, below is the link to the city council and mayor and their contact info. There is also a link within the link that shows a map of the city and who represents what. I'd contact my council member about this. I might also contact Junie White whether he is your council member or not. He was a small businessman in the city forever with White's Exxon (used to be across from Sugar n Spice and is now out on South Pine) and I would think he still thinks like one. He might have some insight that could help.

City Council

I'm sure the city is in bed with the Panthers and Jerry Richardson and will do anything he wants when they are in town. Heck, there is probably a sex and drugs vending trailer for the players over at Wofford between practices.

Make that George Dean Johnson and it will be approved. I think we're really going to have to change the name of Spartanburg to Johnsonville. I saw city workers cleaning his companies private property on Kennedy Street Yesterday (the old Hardee's)!!! I couldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong, I am really thankful for all he has done, but he gets away with what others can't. A company I was working with was going to do an infill mixed use multi story building downtown and the city had the nerve to ask the developer for elevations of how the building would look from his building. Spartanburg is a joke when it comes to the politics of how things work and get done. The hot dog cart is a small sampling of the backward ways that thrive here.

Indeed. This is going to have to change if we are to progress as a city. We can't complain too much though, since Johnson has single handedly rebuilt 80% of downtown... 300 east main, Advance America, ESA, Library Commons, East Main Rd Diet, USC Upstate College of Business & Economics.... what else am I forgetting? Who else has done for Spartanburg what he has?

I'm not trying to argue here, because I completely agree with you... I'm just trying to make sure we're looking at both sides of the coin.

Indeed. This is going to have to change if we are to progress as a city. We can't complain too much though, since Johnson has single handedly rebuilt 80% of downtown... 300 east main, Advance America, ESA, Library Commons, East Main Rd Diet, USC Upstate College of Business & Economics.... what else am I forgetting? Who else has done for Spartanburg what he has?

I'm not trying to argue here, because I completely agree with you... I'm just trying to make sure we're looking at both sides of the coin.

Archived