Downtown Street Vending?

Downtown Dogs

I found a good spot around Morgan Square and I firmly believe there is enough traffic to support the stand. The only problem seems to be that the city will flatly refuse to issue a permit for a hot dog cart. I spoke with the zoning office today and was told that "several" people have tried it in the past and it has always been shot down because street vending is a "shady business practice dominated by vagrants and gypsies." I informed the office that it is exactly that mentality that will keep Spartanburg from experiencing the same type of growth and vibrancy as Greenville for the next several decades. I was told that Spartanburg didn't want to be like Greenville. :shades: I also pointed out that the business license portion of the municipal code allowed temporary vending permits in the "zone" around the Panthers training camp. The response was silence.

I will have to think about my next step because I do want to do this in Spartanburg. I also like a good fight!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats not a bad idea. Channel 7 is on your side, remember.

I do look at both sides and as I said I am really greatful for what he has done and likely will do in the future. I can also add to your list the building that Monsoon is in, the building that the Pink Bee is in, the White Oak office building, the Montgomery Scott building and maybe others. These may be smaller in scope, but still important in connecting the dots. The only project on your list I think is wrong is the road diet. I remember Foster Chapman stating that they are totally against it. If they wanted it to happen it would happen. Not all contributions are new builds either. I think the removal of the Salvation army will greatly enhance the West Main area.

I think all would agree Roger Milliken has made immesurable contributions to Spartanburg as well, but not to the core downtown area. I would really love to see him get involved, but he seems to be more intrested in the institutions mentioned which are just as important.

I hate to think that Spartanburg is one heart beat away from all projects on the radar screen going away.

• 2 weeks later...
I"m definitely looking forward to the salvation army site being relocated. I do hope that the lower part of Ezell St can be preserved- perhaps pulling the macadam or brick pavers or whatever is under there back to the surface. That street has a very "gritty" character today, but IMO it could be a really cool place if it could be tied in with the other restauarnts going in on the upper part of Ezell. There is potential for a mini district in that area.

I hope you get it sorted and rolling. I think the only thing that can make America strong again is for small business people to get it going. Mom-n-Pops stores on every corner. That way we could save on gas and not be forced to buy at monopoly-Mart. But now we have so much zoning. It makes it almost impossible.

I had a friend who had an idea for a chicken and dumplings cart. SHe knew getting it approved would be hellish...

Once again folks have to move to another city to get their project going because we are too stodgy here in the "SC". I can't begin to imagine how much business we have lost to Greenville over the years and now its probably happening in Anderson. Has anyone been to Anderson lately? Its not at all what it used to be. It is starting to boom!

Word is the City Manager doesn't want street vending. I think if Roy Lane were still City Manager we would be light years ahead of where we are now. Roy Lane is the only City staffer I have ever met that was a real go getter. Its a shame that some pencil pushers sit on their tails and hold up people who really want to take an iniciative and do something positive.

the current city manager, Mark Scott, has done a good job overall. If what you are saying is true, then this is the first time that I've actually disagreed with his actions. I want to see a good explanation as to why anyone would not be in support of this though.

Word is the City Manager doesn't want street vending. I think if Roy Lane were still City Manager we would be light years ahead of where we are now. Roy Lane is the only City staffer I have ever met that was a real go getter. Its a shame that some pencil pushers sit on their tails and hold up people who really want to take an iniciative and do something positive.

Archived