places to stay

I am heading out to SF for a funeral and will be spending a few days doing a little exploring with my wife. I have to show her the highlights, and was thinking about getting a hotel in the city to do so.

We will be getting in late our first night, but have the whole next day to ourselves. I thought this a good time to show off some of SF.

I am not adverse to cost, but am looking more for a safe clean comfortable place than anything else. I will be taking the BART from SFO into the city, so convenience at what will be ~3AM our time would be HUGE!!

any suggestions?

I looked online and it seems that most of the names I know are very expensive, and the hotels with names I do not know are, well a bit sketchy. I guess I am looking for something in the middle. or maybe a B&B. I am just concerned my wife will not be up for too much hassle at that late hour. I guess this is why I have even concidered an airport hotel. at SFO.

later on I will have to stay in Concord. Many family members prefer the Crowne Plaza ($138) so I will likely do that since it is very convenient and across the street from my grandpas favorite starbucks :) I could stay there the whole time and we would just take the BART into the city to play tourist, but was hoping someone knew something more interesting right in the heart of SF.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voice of Reason,

Why don't you check out the new Intercontinental San Francisco (5th and Howard) & let me know how it measures up on a scale of 1 - 10? As for suggestions, there are so many hotels to choose from in The City from downtown, SOMA, to smaller hotels and bed & breakfast places in the neighborhoods (like the Parker Guest House in my neighborhood) ...so it just depends on where you want to stay.

I hear Intercontinental SF is now offering specials for Californians:

Special Offers

California Staycation Package for California Residents

Take a vacation without having to fly! Stay close to home this summer at the newest city icon, the InterContinental San Francisco, and rediscover the City by the Bay.

Starting at $189* per night

I ended up choosing the mariott. they had a sale posted online today for a 199 king room, and well they have a pool. also the room comes with a $25 visa debit card if I pay with my visa, so it was a pretty good deal.

I appreciate the suggestion however.

Booking rooms for travel can suck some times. I am procrastinating setting up a september vacation right now because I hate making the innevitable mistakes in booking the wrong hotels. how dumb is that!!!

I ended up choosing the mariott. they had a sale posted online today for a 199 king room, and well they have a pool. also the room comes with a $25 visa debit card if I pay with my visa, so it was a pretty good deal.

I appreciate the suggestion however.

Booking rooms for travel can suck some times. I am procrastinating setting up a september vacation right now because I hate making the innevitable mistakes in booking the wrong hotels. how dumb is that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can happily add that the Mariott downtown convention center is a great place. so easy to get to and to get around from.

I paid 199 a night so my 29th floor king sized corner room seemed like a steal. I may post a few pics, but not sure how they came out yet.

I can also say the the crowne plaza in Concord is a nice hotel as well.

and finally... the Best Western Elm street in Napa is exceptional.

it is not really a best western. its a B&B. the room was enormous, and the service was honestly better than any hotel I have stayed at in my entire life bar one. and that one was on Mykonos for my honeymoon. but its an unfair comparison. the BW in Napa was a real suprise and I will recomend it to anyone.

I can happily add that the Mariott downtown convention center is a great place. so easy to get to and to get around from.

I paid 199 a night so my 29th floor king sized corner room seemed like a steal. I may post a few pics, but not sure how they came out yet.

I can also say the the crowne plaza in Concord is a nice hotel as well.

and finally... the Best Western Elm street in Napa is exceptional.

it is not really a best western. its a B&B. the room was enormous, and the service was honestly better than any hotel I have stayed at in my entire life bar one. and that one was on Mykonos for my honeymoon. but its an unfair comparison. the BW in Napa was a real suprise and I will recomend it to anyone.

Archived