Park(ing) Day event

Posted to the bike club message board:

...To coincide with the Green Grand Rapids planning process and September community forum, we will be participating in "Park(ing) Day". "Park(ing) Day" is a nation wide event that started in San Francisco in 2005. This year it will be held on Friday, September 19th (in cities all over the U.S. ). What it is, is a one-day event where artists, activists, citizens...whoever... collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spots around downtown into "Park(ing) spaces", meaning open green space. Groups bring in sod, planting materials, benches....etc and transform parking spots around the city into a greenspace that everyone can enjoy! It seems like fun....and a great way to rethink the way streets are used, and consider the need for urban parks.

(you can check out www.parkingday.org for more info.)

Everyone is welcome to participate, but we are also looking for strong and fearless bicyclists to transport park materials � let us know if you have access to a trailer, cargo bike�etc. and would like to help transport park elements to various spots across the city. (Please include any logistics such as location, time available, what sort of bike you have, etc that can help us take advantage of your generosity!)

Thanks for your time!

Amy VanElsacker

Planning Department

[email protected]

456-3031

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So.. this is being sponsored or at least supported by the city? I'd imagine they wouldn't like us using up those parking spaces like that without their permission.

I'll forward this on to Darren and Randy. Pedicabs could certainly do some good transporting of greeneries, and would be good promotion for us at the same time. Around what time of day will all of this be done at?

So.. this is being sponsored or at least supported by the city? I'd imagine they wouldn't like us using up those parking spaces like that without their permission.

I'll forward this on to Darren and Randy. Pedicabs could certainly do some good transporting of greeneries, and would be good promotion for us at the same time. Around what time of day will all of this be done at?

Archived