New City of GR website

fotoman311

The city has given it's website a facelift. I haven't had a chance to look around much, but supposedly there are structural changes to make it easier to use as well.

The basic layout and categorization seems to be pretty similar, but it definitely is a lot nicer to look at. The banner photo changes with each page, which is kinda cool.

http://www.grcity.us

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks nice, but a quick glance at the code seems to suggest it's still using the underlying Perl from previously. I'd love to get my hands on it and turn it into a nice, user- (and search engine-) friendly CMS system, but then I'm biased as we have one of the best CMS systems around :D

It looks nice, but a quick glance at the code seems to suggest it's still using the underlying Perl from previously. I'd love to get my hands on it and turn it into a nice, user- (and search engine-) friendly CMS system, but then I'm biased as we have one of the best CMS systems around :D

This was kind of my first thought. It seems mostly just like a facelift. If they spent 9 months redoing it, as Kurt Kimball said in his introduction of the site, I would have liked to have seen them go all out. Make it RSS friendly and all the newer type of things that a great, modern, interactive website seems to have. Make it so it's easy for lots of different city employees and departments to add useful content.

Also, on my IE 6.0.29 at work, the main content gets pushed down so that it STARTS at the bottom of the right column, so I have to scroll down a bunch to read anything on the main start page.

Oh, and as a hobbyist photography, the photographs look a bit like they were shrunk down to a smaller size and then stretched out to fit in the space of the banner.

This was kind of my first thought. It seems mostly just like a facelift. If they spent 9 months redoing it, as Kurt Kimball said in his introduction of the site, I would have liked to have seen them go all out. Make it RSS friendly and all the newer type of things that a great, modern, interactive website seems to have. Make it so it's easy for lots of different city employees and departments to add useful content.

Also, on my IE 6.0.29 at work, the main content gets pushed down so that it STARTS at the bottom of the right column, so I have to scroll down a bunch to read anything on the main start page.

Oh, and as a hobbyist photographer, the photographs look a bit like they were shrunk down to a smaller size and then stretched out to fit in the space of the banner.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived