Meijer to replace 28th/Kalamazoo Ave store

Rybak 187

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...reject_mei.html

Well, here we go again... a couple of NIMBY's are able to thwart what should be a "no-brainer"... let's hope Meijer doesn't abandon this corner (or the city entirely) and add this site to the nearly-vacant half mile to the west...

Although these types of deliberations are quite common between developers and the PC, this improvement should not be hijacked by a few neighbors who have lived next to the current store for a couple of generations. I cannot fathom how the new store would be anything but an improvement for those living immediatly south of the existing parking lot.

As the only Meijer store within the GR city limits, its impact on the surrounding community is enormous. Some may look at it as the "ghetto" store, but I actually choose to shop there as it provides me and my children (all white) with valuable cultural interactions not readily available at the Knapp's Corner, M-6, or Cascade Meijers.

Edit: ....that goes for the city commission. What will they have to say to the people of grand rapids when the tax revenue generated by the 28th street store is lost because their overly annal concerns over noise and aesthetics.

Planning Commissioners, please, PLEASE, take a step back and look at the big picture; the fact that Meijers is willing to make such a huge investment at this site (similar to last year's on Plainfield Avenue) should be enough to prove they're worthy of site plan approval. Accept their offer to install sound barriers and APPROVE THEIR PLANS!! The sooner this new store gets built, the better!

What a shame! The old 28th street store is in desperate need of being replaced. A new Meijer store would have done that area a whole bunch of good. Granted I don't want to see something ugly on that corner. But come on! Meijer bent over backwards to commit themselves to that location only to get rejected twice. Talk about a slap in the face. Maybe having a 185,000 square foot derelict hulk siting behind the NIMBY's residences further lowering their home values will teach them a lesson that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred has several options here, not just two.

1. Keep submissions coming until the PC settles on one of them

2. Continue operations in the existing store

3. Close

I really doubt they are even thinking about #3. An astute company would continue to make small improvements while inching closer to the needed total makeover. For instance, that sound-proof barrier could go up right now.

Another option would be to make an offer to the NIMBYs. Folks, you aren't going to be happy no matter what. How about moving to another neighborhood? You like it here? Heck, we could add a fence to your backyard and soundproof our side of it. What is it you want? Let's talk.

Have to wonder about neighbors who bought their house adjacent to an existing use and then complain about it. (Where's my "this is agricultural property" zoning photo?)

Oh no! A building 40 feet from their property line. Maybe they would be happier if the Meijer were out at 28th street and the parking lot went right up next to thier back yard. No, I doubt they would be happy with that either.

I really do think some of these CAVE men (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) do want to have the store close down and sit empty. In fact what they really want to happen is for the store to be replaced with single family houses. Just as long as they don't build one of them next to thier lot.

/rant

Does anyone have the new site plan? It sounds like they rotated the store to face Kalamazoo.

What a great sign. :)

Sorry that is the old site plan, I was looking for the new one that has the changes that the planning commission had requested. I read that they added a sound barrier (fence), but did they make any changes to the loading docks that were facing Kalamazoo? A screen wall? Relocating the loading docks somewhere else?

From the Grand Rapids Press article;

"The decision by the Planning Commission comes less than a month after Meijer officials were sent back to the drawing board to revise their plans to build a new store behind the existing building and flip the front of it to face Kalamazoo."

Sounds to me that they rotated the front of the building to face Kalamazoo.

Have to wonder about neighbors who bought their house adjacent to an existing use and then complain about it. (Where's my "this is agricultural property" zoning photo?)

City records show that the homes located behind the Meijer were built between 1952 and 1953. The Meijer first opened as a grocery store in 1958 and later expanded to a Thrifty Acres in 1962. So the homes predated the Meijer, but how many of the existing home owners have lived there 50+ years?

The plans were in the same planning comission packet as the Belknap plan. I remember that being posted on UP somewhere.

Based on memory alone, I do not recall the store being rotated to face Kalamzoo, I think the loading docks were still on the east side. There was certainly a sound barrier wall and lots of lanscaping in the parking lot.

Packet is here:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...97717873961.pdf

I'm having trouble getting it to download though.

Try right clicking on the link to download it to disk.

Anyway, I don't see why the city rejected the plan. Meijer did put a sound barrier up behind the homes closest to the loading docks and did some heavy screening with landscaping along K'zoo. I think the city is placating to the NIMBY's way too much on this.

Heartwell is moving in to try and save this new Meijer proposal:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...es_to_revi.html

Way to go Heartwell! Sound and Set back issues are not worth losing a valuable asset for SE GR! Meijer needs to stay at that location at any cost because its really the only thing keeping that stretch of 28th street alive not to mention that the closure of that location would mean that many people in the SE side would be without a decent grocery store. The Planning commission really needs to wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to the implications of what they have done...twice!

The Planning commission really needs to wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to the implications of what they have done...twice!

I don't totally agree. In my mind (and I'll profess to not knowing exactly what the city statutes say), the planning commission is supposed to make sure that developers comply with the zoning codes and generally make sure that things fit within the context of their neighborhood. Sound issues for the neighbors certainly should be taken into consideration. But, then when Meijer comes back with a plan that works to address the issues that were raised, with an insulated sound barrier and a promise to only have one nighttime delivery, they should approve that plan.

I don't totally agree. In my mind (and I'll profess to not knowing exactly what the city statutes say), the planning commission is supposed to make sure that developers comply with the zoning codes and generally make sure that things fit within the context of their neighborhood. Sound issues for the neighbors certainly should be taken into consideration. But, then when Meijer comes back with a plan that works to address the issues that were raised, with an insulated sound barrier and a promise to only have one nighttime delivery, they should approve that plan.

Exactly. Continuing to move the goalpost is a sure fire way to scare businesses and investors away.

This is getting very interesting. Isn't this how things started in Acme Township as well? :whistling:

I can see both sides of the argument. But I highly doubt Meijer would take their toys and go home, especially given (purely a guess) a D&W or (gasp) Wal*mart would probably love this location for a retail presence in an area with little to no competition.

A Trader Joe perhaps? I just love to think of the possibilities if the Planning Commission said "no."

Oooooh, Acme Twp, where the mean ol' PC required a brick facade, a walkway, and other design enhancements.

Sometimes it's possible to get close enough on the design and the desires to issue a conditional approval. Meijer could use the neighborhood meeting to hear all the concerns, and attempt to assuage the residents.

It seems a little disingenuous to be complaining about the place's 24/7 operation at this stage.

I agree with the press editorial on this. The Planning Commission has made a bone headed mistake which I hope the City Commission successfully checks them on. If Meijer's plan meets ordinances, the PC must approve. Period! In addition why on earth would any Planning Commission be so dense as to throw away a local retailer willing to invest in a depressed area given Michigan's abysmal economic state coupled the nation's financial meltdown. Over what? Noise that always been at that site for as long as the store existed as a supercenter? I hate to burst the NIMBY bubble with pen brick of reality on those neighbor's living behind the old store. But given these tough times, beggars can't be choosers. In addition Meijer's second proposal addressed the noise issues and aesthetics as best as possible from what I've seen of the plans. A sound barrier was called for between the homes nearest the loading docks, a switch to mostly daytime deliveries, and elevation changes to the east side of the building followed up by landscaping to screen off what could not be changed. I think for the greater good of that area and the city the NIMBY neighbors and a snooty Planning Commission are going to have to sacrifice a little bit on this one and let Meijer go through with its plans.

Archived