Meijer to replace 28th/Kalamazoo Ave store

Rybak 187

the funny thing is meijer runs a 1% profit and most of that comes from the GM side. the thing you forget is you dont need to have access to the docks on the west side if the can redo the docks on the east side with a bare min of four openings. i am not too sure what else they can do but eliminate half of the present stores loading dock to get it close to the 150k size. I think they may be aiming for a 125k place. Frankly having a smaller store might be a bit better. if they take out some of the lower selling items like they tend to do with the diffrent shelf layouts it could cause less stockloss due to theft and clearence items. Outside of that I can not think of much else they could do. But a 125k place would not be a bad thing. Consider that it could corrispond to say a 30 foot back hallway and a 50 foot side dock for unloading the trucks and grocery storage it may work. Even a reduced produce section could work if they take out the rental spots in the building. If they would do that they could save some space in the front for say the bottle return, offices, meeting rooms, and other places that tend to put in other areas of the store. My major issue with trying to build a store like this is that its gonna be the front side near where the current store is at. Is there enough space with the proposed store sitting as far back as possible and the depth as big as possible. I am not sure if 10 feet between the two buildings would be enough or if they could try to go tighter. As you pointed out depth will be the key in this building. Unless they make the store a non rectangle go with two different sized boxes.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the funny thing is meijer runs a 1% profit and most of that comes from the GM side. the thing you forget is you dont need to have access to the docks on the west side if the can redo the docks on the east side with a bare min of four openings. i am not too sure what else they can do but eliminate half of the present stores loading dock to get it close to the 150k size. I think they may be aiming for a 125k place. Frankly having a smaller store might be a bit better. if they take out some of the lower selling items like they tend to do with the diffrent shelf layouts it could cause less stockloss due to theft and clearence items. Outside of that I can not think of much else they could do. But a 125k place would not be a bad thing. Consider that it could corrispond to say a 30 foot back hallway and a 50 foot side dock for unloading the trucks and grocery storage it may work. Even a reduced produce section could work if they take out the rental spots in the building. If they would do that they could save some space in the front for say the bottle return, offices, meeting rooms, and other places that tend to put in other areas of the store. My major issue with trying to build a store like this is that its gonna be the front side near where the current store is at. Is there enough space with the proposed store sitting as far back as possible and the depth as big as possible. I am not sure if 10 feet between the two buildings would be enough or if they could try to go tighter. As you pointed out depth will be the key in this building. Unless they make the store a non rectangle go with two different sized boxes.

As for the loading docks. That issue could be easily solved no matter what configuration is used with out modifying the existing building as long as the first thing that is constructed is a drive way along the rear property line to give access to at least some of the existing building's loading docks while the new store's loading docks are faced towards K'zoo. As for squeezing down to 125k of space that's a bit tricky since you mentioned that most of Meijer's profits are coming from GM. But there are work arounds.

Some of the thing that could be done here is reducing the width of the new store's action alleys. In the current prototype, the action alleys are about 16' wide including two 6' wide walk ways flanking a 4' wide center strip for impulse buys. Take away the impulse buys would reduce the width of the action alleys to 12'. However one would lose the money made from not having all of those impulse buys. But then again one would still have the end caps of hundreds of aisles that serve that same function of impulse buys. In Meijer at Cascade all except the action alley running through the grocery section was devoid of impulse buys. This lends a very airy and spacious feel to the already massively huge store. So modifying the action alleys in this way would shave off allot of square footage while making the new store feel more spacious.

Another thing that could be done is paring down the number of checkout lanes. In the standard prototype The checkout lanes including the cue line area, and the decompression areas at both ends of the checkout lanes takes up a swath along the front of the store that is about 48 ft deep by roughly 200 ft long.

For a 125K store one could shave the number of lanes from the usual 28-30 down to 20 depending on how much traffic the 28th st/K'zoo store sees. One could also use more U-scaners and full sized self checkout lanes as they seem to take up slightly less space than standard cashier lanes. The only thing to watch out for here is Christmas. The reason Meijer and most Big box retailers put in an immense number of checkout lanes despite using less than half of them most of the year is the Christmas shopping season when stores see the most traffic and most of there profits are made. If we were all Scrooges then Meijer could get away with as little as ten to fifteen lanes. Now there is an exception. That being the Traverse City Meijer, all but maybe a few of its checkout lanes see constant action through out the whole year. But that store is the busiest store in the chain due to the fact its the only Meijer store within 60 miles. However the 28th st/K'zoo store maybe busy but no where at that kind of level.

If push came to shove in-store licensees could be omitted to reduce square footage. I've been to a recently renovated store in Manfield, OH that lacked all the in-store services expect for the customer service desk. Even the cart rooms were missing. That store seem to be doing just fine and was quite busy at the time I was there. One of the things I liked about that store is the immense solarium style glass curtain wall flooding the sales floor with natural light. That curtain wall was located between the two entrances were the in-store services and licensees would other wise be placed.

Lastly I concur that product editing could be done to further reduce square footage. Allot of that store's customer base is not going to want all the exotic upscale items found at Meijer at Cascade. The only thing they seem to be really asking for is a larger produce dept. Other than that the grocery section could just offer the basic meat and potatoes items. In addition eliminating slow moving items from the retail section would also help as well.

Well if they could get a variance for the access road behind the new building it might work but I am sure they are going to place the building as far as back as the zoning allows. They really have no choices in that matter. Do you think they could make a retro looking store though. I know the standard store design is not large enough without a lot of paring down. I also know that this store would require them to have their own shelf designs. No store would have as small GM side. The only thing I could see them doing is putting a second level or have a L shaped store design. Like having all of the check out and service areas bumped out. That would increase the size of the physical floor by a bit.

Well if they could get a variance for the access road behind the new building it might work but I am sure they are going to place the building as far as back as the zoning allows. They really have no choices in that matter. Do you think they could make a retro looking store though. I know the standard store design is not large enough without a lot of paring down. I also know that this store would require them to have their own shelf designs. No store would have as small GM side. The only thing I could see them doing is putting a second level or have a L shaped store design. Like having all of the check out and service areas bumped out. That would increase the size of the physical floor by a bit.

Meijer employee here and I heard from a former supervisor from Store #11 (28th and Kalamazoo) that the new store would have a very unique layout...different from any current store. One example is that due to the constraints of the property the loading docks would actually be in the front of the store with the warehouse running along the western side of the store. I also heard that it would cost somewhere around $1.3 million which is kind of expensive for a store this size. I will try and get more details soon.

Meijer employee here and I heard from a former supervisor from Store #11 (28th and Kalamazoo) that the new store would have a very unique layout...different from any current store. One example is that due to the constraints of the property the loading docks would actually be in the front of the store with the warehouse running along the western side of the store. I also heard that it would cost somewhere around $1.3 million which is kind of expensive for a store this size. I will try and get more details soon.

Please do. I for one am very interest to see how Meijer is going to pull this one off.

Knowing that Meijer may opt. for a unique layout frees up the playing field quite a bit.

While I'm here, I wanted to mention that a few years ago Walmart experimented with two compact supercenter prototypes. One was called the "109" a 109,000 sq. ft store, the other is "Sub-99" a 99,000 sq. ft. store. Both prototypes compress most of the offering found at a normal Wal-Mart supercenter into compact buildings. The intent was to allow Walmart to expand deeper into urban cores were space is tight while entering into communities resistant to Big Box developments. I'm not certain if Wall-MArt continued pursuing these prototypes though. However I think some were built. So if Wal-Mart can compress the size of its behemoth supercenters into a sub 100k space then surely Meijer can do it to their stores as well. Again this would support the possibility of a compact Meijer store.

I know I have heard from some of my friends that work for meijer that for some of the new stores coming up are going to be doing some different things with the grocery department. The big thing that they told me that they are going to be doing is putting grocery along the back wall. They did not say if it was going to be all of it or only part of it though.

I know I have heard from some of my friends that work for meijer that for some of the new stores coming up are going to be doing some different things with the grocery department. The big thing that they told me that they are going to be doing is putting grocery along the back wall. They did not say if it was going to be all of it or only part of it though.

Hmmm... At first I was skeptical of the idea of placing groceries along the back wall. But after thinking about it. two to three sides of the grocery section would be opened up for more departments adjacencies than the current configuration where only one side of the grocery section is free. In other words one could get more departments that need to be near the groceries close by than allowable by the current store prototype.

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Alger Heights, I really don't care how they build a new store...just as long as it's nicer than the one that's there now. And then, let's hope to God is stays nice. Although there is at least a certain amount of charm to the current building.

I don't think that cleanliness of the 28th street/K'zoo store is really an issue when it comes to the lackluster appearance of the existing store. The last time I was inside the 28th street store I noticed that janitorial upkeep seem to have been kept up to an acceptable level. The floors were shiny. All but two or three light bulbs were out. I also didn't notice water stains on the drop ceiling, a problem on buildings this old. The main problem of the existing store is that it has long since reached the end of its service life. A building of this nature is only meant to last 30 years tops. The oldest portions of the 28th street store exceeds 50 years of age while the newest portions, the western most 100 feet, is approaching 25 years of age. Add to this the 28th street store is a hodgepodge of rambling additions, annexes, and renovations which explains the store's haphazard layout. Let's face it. The existing store is just plain worn out and its replacement is a couple of decades over due. The best thing that the red shirts over there can do is keep the old store as clean and orderly as possible given the circumstance until the new one is complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Well everything you wanted to know and then some guys. In fact, it's probably the most comprehensive submission I've seen to the Planning Commission, including the 4 phase demolition/redevelopment plan. BTW, the store will be 156,000 sf.

2787465182_517d2162ae_o.jpg

2787465394_9448434ee4_o.jpg

2787465596_3bd69bac41_o.jpg

2787465758_6b33a94bdd_o.jpg

2786609447_90243fff86_o.jpg

The floorplan is hard to make out tamias, but you might recognize shelve and aisle configurations:

2786609751_d831710080_o.jpg

2787466478_0cf59409fd_o.jpg

Planning Commission agenda - starting on page 12

The Plainfield Meijer area looks phenomenally better, so I would imagine this area will too.

I like the new plan. The store itself looks nearly identical to the proposed Bear Creek store. Interior wise, I must say its unlike any Meijer store I've ever been to. But running most of the groceries along the back wall makes allot of sense as it creates more adjacencies. One unusual aspect I'd like to point out is the dairy coolers and frozen foods being located across the action alley from the e4 department. Though it seems to make sense. Overall it looks to me that Meijer is focusing on making a very strong grocery section, perhaps reviling that of Meijer @ Cascade, while pairing down GM to its key aspects.

GR Dad thanks for spotting this.

...One unusual aspect I'd like to point out is the dairy coolers and frozen foods being located across the action alley from the e4 department. Though it seems to make sense....

Tam, why? Do folks buying batteries or cell phone accessories also pick up a yogurt and bag of mixed veggies?

(Seriously, I'm curious.)

Tam, why? Do folks buying batteries or cell phone accessories also pick up a yogurt and bag of mixed veggies?

(Seriously, I'm curious.)

Now that you pointed that out, it does sound logical. Many folks that buy electronics are usually on the go and don't have much time to cook. Frozen foods don't take much time to cook while many dairy products are convenience items. The location of the dairy and frozen foods caught me off guard since I'm use to frozen foods being located ether in the center aisles of a traditional supermarket or near produce as in the Standale store while dairy being located near the back of the store.

the nice thing with having those two areas next to each other means the cooling doesnt have to be spread out as much. Electronics does not respond well to heat. So having those coolers already there it creates a cooler enviroment.

Now that you pointed that out, it does sound logical. Many folks that buy electronics are usually on the go and don't have much time to cook. Frozen foods don't take much time to cook while many dairy products are convenience items. The location of the dairy and frozen foods caught me off guard since I'm use to frozen foods being located ether in the center aisles of a traditional supermarket or near produce as in the Standale store while dairy being located near the back of the store.

Yeahbut...they aren't renting flicks or DVDs. Seems like it takes more time to wade through the specs on a digital camera purchase than it would to pick up "scratch" food. And are electronics a daily or weekly purchase?

The stuff sold in e4 consists of heavily-packaged cameras, phones, stereo parts, and TVs. Hardly the sort of thing that needs a fragile temperature control.

Meijer plans rejected

The Planning Commission didn't like the East side of the building (because it will look like a "back of the store" due to the docks). They also want Meijer to better address concerns about noise.

I can understand the aesthetics or lack thereof the the loading dock side of the building. The loading docks at the Standale store look pretty darn ugly. Same goes for the those at the new Plainfeild Ave. store. Noise is somewhat of an issue too. The refrigeration plants are very noisy. However additional landscaping could hide the loading docks from view while a privacy wall could cut the noise down for the adjacent neighbor. Meijer could easily alter their plans to address those issues. As for the neighbor's call to build the store closer to 28th street, I think that's a bit unrealistic esp. since meijer plans to keep the old store open until the new one is built.

There was an interesting comment (though I don't know how feasible) on the Press article...

"I use the Kalamazoo Meijer every week. While it would be great to keep the store open, the best option would be to demolish the whole thing and do it right, on a cleared lot. If Meijer wanted to stay in the area, they could temporarily move into the vacant store right next door.

I would be willing to traveler to another Meijer for a few months in order to have a brand new store around the corner from my home."

There was an interesting comment (though I don't know how feasible) on the Press article...

"I use the Kalamazoo Meijer every week. While it would be great to keep the store open, the best option would be to demolish the whole thing and do it right, on a cleared lot. If Meijer wanted to stay in the area, they could temporarily move into the vacant store right next door.

I would be willing to traveler to another Meijer for a few months in order to have a brand new store around the corner from my home."

It would not be feasible to move to a temporary location for several reasons. First, the only two vacant buildings near Meijer are the former Forbiden City furniture store locate on the property just off the north west corner of the Meijer site and the vacant Chrysler/ Jeep dealership building. The two buildings do not have the square footage needed to house Meijer's operation. Secondly these two buildings would have to be substantially modified to allow them to support the grocery section even on a temporary bases. This means refrigeration plants to power coolers, electrical power to run them, commercial grade machinery and appliances for the over the counter services and so forth. Water and sewage upgrades to also be needed to handle the store's day to day activity. Lastly Meijer would need a wide open space for a free flowing sales floor. None of the two buildings offer that.

I don't think Meijer will not need to totally go back to the drawing board. The noise and aesthetic issues can be address with a few modifications to the plans submitted to the city. However, if Meijer is forced to start over from square one, then I believe there are only two options if they want to stay at the current location. One, renovate the existing store as best they can. Or two, close the existing store, demolish it, and build a new store in its place.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...reject_mei.html

Well, here we go again... a couple of NIMBY's are able to thwart what should be a "no-brainer"... let's hope Meijer doesn't abandon this corner (or the city entirely) and add this site to the nearly-vacant half mile to the west...

Although these types of deliberations are quite common between developers and the PC, this improvement should not be hijacked by a few neighbors who have lived next to the current store for a couple of generations. I cannot fathom how the new store would be anything but an improvement for those living immediatly south of the existing parking lot.

As the only Meijer store within the GR city limits, its impact on the surrounding community is enormous. Some may look at it as the "ghetto" store, but I actually choose to shop there as it provides me and my children (all white) with valuable cultural interactions not readily available at the Knapp's Corner, M-6, or Cascade Meijers.

Planning Commissioners, please, PLEASE, take a step back and look at the big picture; the fact that Meijers is willing to make such a huge investment at this site (similar to last year's on Plainfield Avenue) should be enough to prove they're worthy of site plan approval. Accept their offer to install sound barriers and APPROVE THEIR PLANS!! The sooner this new store gets built, the better!

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...reject_mei.html

Well, here we go again... a couple of NIMBY's are able to thwart what should be a "no-brainer"... let's hope Meijer doesn't abandon this corner (or the city entirely) and add this site to the nearly-vacant half mile to the west...

Although these types of deliberations are quite common between developers and the PC, this improvement should not be hijacked by a few neighbors who have lived next to the current store for a couple of generations. I cannot fathom how the new store would be anything but an improvement for those living immediatly south of the existing parking lot.

As the only Meijer store within the GR city limits, its impact on the surrounding community is enormous. Some may look at it as the "ghetto" store, but I actually choose to shop there as it provides me and my children (all white) with valuable cultural interactions not readily available at the Knapp's Corner, M-6, or Cascade Meijers.

Planning Commissioners, please, PLEASE, take a step back and look at the big picture; the fact that Meijers is willing to make such a huge investment at this site (similar to last year's on Plainfield Avenue) should be enough to prove they're worthy of site plan approval. Accept their offer to install sound barriers and APPROVE THEIR PLANS!! The sooner this new store gets built, the better!

Agreed. I can't see Meijer keeping the current Meijer going there for much longer. If these people think that moving the store 100' closer to their neighborhood is going to effect their property values, what will no Meijer there do?

Plus, for them to call out the architect as not being creative enough is preposterous. I am amazed at the phased construction/demolition of this and still being able to keep Meijer open the whole time. The new Meijer on Plainfield has totally changed the run-down feel of that section of Plainfield.

I was literally shocked when I read it had been rejected again. Same with the townhouses on Seward. I believe though that this can skip the PC and go right to the City Commission (?)

The Knapp's Corner Meijer is also within the city limits.

You're right, of course, although Knapp's Corner is barely within the limits and serves mostly people from GR Twp and Forest Hills. Its location, feel and demographics couldn't be more diametrically opposed to the Kalamazoo/28th store.

Archived