7th Street Greenway Connector

Bikeguy

Urban Planet Bloggers... need some quick help. Can any of you put together an overview map of 7th Street between Ray's Splash Planet ( Stewart Creek Greenway) and the 7th Street Bridge over the proposed Little Sugar Creek Greenway and note the following significant structures and points of interest...?

ImaginOn, Lynx Light Rail, Museum of the New South, Spirit Square, St. Peter's Church, Discovery Place, Settlers Cemetary, Evergreen/Pinewood Cemetary, Ray's Splash Planet & the proposed new UNCC School of Business..?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious why you're wanting this? I'm sure folks here don't want to do homework for someone else, but perhaps someone would be willing to come up with something if you explain why you want this.

I happened to see the greenway at Ray's Splash Planet for the first time a few days ago and was very impressed. I almost felt like I was out in the wild. The tunnels were a little muddy from all the rain, so I didn't get to see that much of it, but it's amazing to imagine it eventually going all the way out to the Whitewater park and maybe also hooking up with Sugar Creek. I think there are also plans for the adjacent town of Mt. Holly to have a greenway that hooks up with the Whitewater park, so maybe there will eventually be connectivity from Pineville to Mt.Holly.

It still sounds like you are wanting us to do either your homework or your job. Not trying to sound too harsh, but why don't you just get a map and and look up the addresses of the attractions/sites you mentioned and label it as such instead of having someone here do it for you.

After crossing the 7th st. bridge over 277, go north and there is a connector to the future greenway at the 9th St. linear park. That takes you directly through fourth ward and hits the elmwood cemetary which abuts Ray's. this is the route that has less traffic and is already partially built. Levine can work it in to his plans(haha) and it would have minimal required changes to link the two since the 9th st. park is already built. Google from the 700 block of E. 9th to the 600 block of W. 9th. You can actually visually ride down the street and see what it there.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not neo-classical persay, it's this shoddy-neoclassical that irks me. They just throw brick on a steel frame, toss on a couple of gables and columns, and call it a day. You say its burdened by a lot of "generic modern architecture." Well, this is "generic neo-classical." It's like those silly "ultra high-tech research labs" up in the university area. They look more like clusters of suburban bank branches than the cutting edge of scientific research. Someone just got it in their heads that successful universities look like that.

And in any case, while you can make build a neo-classical building that does add up enough points to be awarded with various LEED levels of certification, you can not really push sustainable design, no matter how much certain public officials might try to argue otherwise. It is a architectural style that just doesn't integrate into the landscape - you can see that even in the rendering of their new culinary building. The only transitional layering from indoors to out is a piddly little porch space. And while you can get tall windows into neo-classical buildings for daylighting, their proportions do very badly on thinner buildings so you end up with great big wide buildings that get no natural light in the middle. And where modern architecture can accept and use virtually any material, giving one leeway to choose the best material based on availability and climatic decisions, with neo-classical you're pretty much stuck with heavy masonry. While brick makes an outstanding thermal mass on the inside, it does squat on the exterior of buildings.

It's remarkable that the same firm that did Johnson+Wales's lively, open and urban culinary building is doing this one, too. CPCC's cheaper tuition aside, which building would you want to learn in?

...and I haven't even touched on the site planning issues in that rendering.

Archived