Burlington Square Mall Faces Foreclosure

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work with teenagers in the area. It'd be totally awesome if the building/land could be used to build something like Frankie's Fun Park in Raleigh or Celebration Station in Greensboro. The kids in town need something. I just noticed yesterday that the marquee on Huffman Mill said "Food Court Grand Opening." Haven't had time to swing by to see what the deal is.

I'd hate it if Chic-Fil-A closed. The one in there is much easier (and quicker) to get through than the one on Garden. I also wonder what'll happen to Sears if the mall closes.

Hallmark left when their lease was up a few weeks ago and I've heard that Sears plans to leave too (moving to where KMart is) in 2009 when it's lease is up. Some of the Kiosk things closed up recently. Goodys is still there (for now) but they too are in bankrupcy, so who knows what their fate will be there.

As for the Food Court thing...a new restaurant opened called House of Kabobs. It is the only food store actually in the food court...and is new. Chick Fil A is still there as is the cookie store and the Wholly Guacamole.

There is a game stop, victoria's secret, american eagle, bath and body works, books a million, foot locker, a few jewelry stores, sprint and a few other places still there. (for now)

Isn't the Apple House Cafeteria gone?

Yep. It was one of the first closings before Alamance Crossing's opening last summer.

I'm honestly surprised VS and B&BW have remained open this long, what with them having stores over at the Crossing.

Oh well, if it shuts down, that'll be one less stop I need to make on Black Friday.

Being that I live within walking distance from both BSM and AC this comes as sad new to me. I remember visiting Woolworths as a child when I made trips down south to visit family. I also remember the ridiculous lines at Apple House Cafeteria during the days when Burlington lack options for restaurants. Does anyone remember the sit down resturant that used to be in there? Unfortunately I saw this coming when the anchors for Alamance Crossing were announced. Even before that I always saw some mall being developed elsewhere in Burlington if Holly Hill Mall um..Burlington Square Mall didn't expand. The mall itself did improve , it's not like they didn't attract good tenants people wanted to shop. For many Alamance County residents who envied Four Seasons mall and South Square mall, Holly Hill Mall just wasn't large enough often being called the great Holly Hill Hall by many people I knew.

FWIW BSM was a good mall for the size it was. The management of that mall had faith in the Alamance County Market long before anyone else did and I applaud them for that. I believe Stevenrocks will agree with me on this, in retail when you don't change you get left behind and eliminated by the competition. Chapel Hill's University Mall is an excellent example of a similar size mall that has seen success. Its anchors include Southern Season, Roses, and Dillards which all do well and serve their purpose. The smaller niche stores and art galleries are what give that mall its flavor.

Now back to Burlington Square Mall. I pray that a developer takes over this sight and does 1 of 2 things. Option 1 would be to take the existing mall and add new anchors such as Sears Grand, Kohls, Marshalls, TJMaxx n More, Circuit City, Borders, Steve & Barrys, Lucky Brand Jeans, etc . I would then expand the mall out to Huffman Mill Rd with some stores actually facing the street, I would the place a majority of the parking in the rear in a parking deck. Yes I know its sounds crazy, buy follow me. After the expansion the developer could go after stores that could draw shoppers from the Triad such as H&M, or whatever else the people of the Triad crave. Now I know H&M this might sound off the wall but sometimes you have to think big or outside the box as a developer to be successful. Last but not least I would add a Ballys Gym as a part of the mall similar in style to the Golds Gym at Raleigh's North Hills Mall. Option 2 is to demolish BSM and build a two-level mall with the same elements as option 1. If option 1 or 2 is not feasible now I would atleast hope for new tenants.

If you are still reading. I would hope the city of Burlington could work out a deal with the developer to make Huffman Mill Road and the adjacent roads pedestrian friendly enough for street facing stores. This could be accomplished by adding a planted median, wide sidewalks, and atleast one pedestrian only traffic signal somewhere near the main entrance. dkst0426 I agree with you that teens in Alamance County have nothing to do because I wouldn't mind seeing something like a celebration station in the immediate area.

Creasy, it's a shame Charlotte already has an IKEA in the works, huh? :)

I like the suggestion. With all the new money in town, and people moving in to the western part of Alamance County/Burlington, it makes sense to have another big option that would essentially be like a "crosstown" mall from Four Seasons.

Is the market that far along that such a development so close to Alamance Crossing becomes a viable option, though?

We could use a Cheesecake Factory, too. :P

On a somewhat related note pertaining to teen/children's activities around town, I noticed yesterday that the Putt-Putt place on North Church is supposedly hosting the National Junior Championship in a couple of weekends.

BSM was a nice enough mall, but it kept the same general look and feel for years. It felt like a small town mall from the late '60s, and until fairly recently was merchandised like one. Faced with bigger and better shopping options down the road, it became a convenience mall after a while, and not much more. When they should have been fighting for real improvement, all they did was redecorate every ten years. What a waste.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with being a good local mall, but when CBL came in with the latest design and fresher stores, the writing was on the wall, and it looks like there's not going to be enough traffic for both Alamance Crossing and Burlington Square to co-exist.

I wish there was a third way. BSM wasn't my cup of tea because of its rigid format and uninspiring design, but AC really just makes me mad. Instead of integrating the complex's anchors and uses like Southpoint and others have done, they created two strips, hung a Dillard's on the top and called it a strip mall and outparcel clogged day along the edges. That's not an improvement on the mall, in fact, it's not even a decent lifestyle center.

There was enough room on the AC parcel for a mall done right. Something with a variety of spacial experiences, some enclosed and open-air areas, and decent curb appeal. Instead we get what we got. It's a dumb box replacing a slightly smarter box that got frumpy and set in its ways.

I wish BSM could take the route that University Mall did and pretty much carve its own path. But Burlington doesn't have Chapel Hill's demographics or any interest in supporting that kind of mall in round enough numbers to make it work.

I wish there was a third way. BSM wasn't my cup of tea because of its rigid format and uninspiring design, but AC really just makes me mad. Instead of integrating the complex's anchors and uses like Southpoint and others have done, they created two strips, hung a Dillard's on the top and called it a strip mall and outparcel clogged day along the edges. That's not an improvement on the mall, in fact, it's not even a decent lifestyle center.

I know what you mean. My dad absolutely hates driving through Alamance Crossing. Whoever designed the roads and parking lots at Alamance Crossing has some explaining to do.

• 3 weeks later...

"When the mall first opened in 1969, it was called Holly Hill Mall and was one of the largest malls in the state." Interesting, I never knew that. Hopefully the new owner can turn the mall around. I'll send the developer a link to the Triad section of Urban Planet. :shades:

• 5 months later...

I could see this mall having the same fate as Carolina East Mall in Greenville (NC), which lost all of it's anchors except Sears as well, then the rest of the center was demolished and redeveloped, leaving the original Sears and opening a new Kohl's and plans for what i believe include a few other stores

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall hearing some rumors last year that Sears was going to move to the K-Mart building. The K-Mart's gone from a Super K to just a regular ol' K-Mart now, and the last couple of times I've gone in, I see plenty of "clearance" sale signs, so much so to the point where it looks almost as if like they're just trying to get rid of inventory. Any truth to the Sears rumor?

Archived