Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cityboi

High Point reaches populational milestone

8 posts in this topic

HighPoint,NC.jpg

The City of High Point has now reach a milestone. The city now has over 100,000 residents making Guilford County the second county in North Carolina that has two cities with over 100,000 people. Wake was the first. Raleigh and Cary both have over 100,000 people. The question is, how big can High Point get. Can the city eventually have over 200,000 residents?

There is also a video on the side bar link

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Home/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

officially High Point has 100,342 residents. By comparison, Wilmington has 100,903 residents. Greensboro and High Point's combined population is around 356,000.

The question is, how big can High Point get. Can the city eventually have over 200,000 residents?

Yeah 200K would be a very elusive target indeed. Besides, even if you take any potential for new annexation into account there isn't much room for the city to expand, 100K is a significant population milestone for the city though.

I think we might have winds of change brewing in NC annexation laws

I think it all depends on job growth in the region. If the Triad can have the kind of growth Charlotte and Raleigh are witnessing, the three Triad cities wont have to rely so much on annexation to increase population. People move to where the jobs are. There is also alot of opportunity for developement along I-85 just west of High Point, especially where I-74 will cross I-85.

I doubt the Triad will ever reach the growth rates of either Charlotte or Raleigh in the near future. We still have to shift our economy away from manufacturing which we are still to heavily laden with.

That could all change very quickly with FedEx. We are beginning to see that with Dell and HondaJet and the hub hasnt even opened yet. The Triad will always have a manufacturing economy but whats important to the future of the area is the kind of manufacturing. High paying hitech manufacturing jobs or low wage traditional manufacturing jobs.

Great news for High Point! I doubt they will get to 200,000, unless they continue to expand into Davidson County.