Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RenZone

Do you like local beer?

22 posts in this topic

Mittenbrau: a celebration of Michigan brews to be held in Grand Rapids on July 27

First annual event brings together state

Man, why can't this be on the 26th - a Saturday? That would be so great to tie one on and enjoy Michi's best small batches. I love beer. Beer, beer , beer. Down into my belly.

Because Saturday is Summer Beer Festival.

FWIW, HopCat has been doing Michigan Beer Month(s) for all of June and July - a new brewery featured each week with exclusive HopCat offerings all week long, firkins on Fridays and a beer pairing/dinner every weekend as well.

I know this isn't really the place, but - at the mention of HopCat - am I the only one that feels that their system of measures is dishonest? I mean, when I ask for a beer, I expect a pint. Depending on what you order in HopCat, you get anything from a thimble to a bucket. $4 for half a pint of Carlsberg really isn't what I had in mind. I mean, it's the Danish equivalent of PBR for goodness sake and it's not like they contradict you when you ask for a pint of something! It takes a lot to beat the $0.75 cans of Black Label at The Meanwhile ;)

Are you really British? Because that would explain a lot - a "pint" is a very specific thing over there. You'll find all over in the states most places call 14oz "falsies" pints. At least the HopCat says "glass." Besides, if you're at the HopCat drinking Carlsberg you're missing the point of visiting. ;-) They're certainly not trying to compete with $1 specials.

Are you really British? Because that would explain a lot

But that's standard practice at bars in the US. Seriously, at least HopCat has prices posted. How many other bars even do that?!? I can remember being blindsided by $12 draft Chimay at Bistro Bella Vita - no price listed of course. Many restaurants/bars don't put prices on alcohol or desserts. We don't have a CAMRA or anything like that here to campaign for "true pints."

But that's standard practice at bars in the US. Seriously, at least HopCat has prices posted. How many other bars even do that?!? I can remember being blindsided by $12 draft Chimay at Bistro Bella Vita - no price listed of course. Many restaurants/bars don't put prices on alcohol or desserts. We don't have a CAMRA or anything like that here to campaign for "true pints."

Half your ego-stroke comes from telling people you're drinking a beer they may have never heard of and the other half comes from telling them how much you paid for it. It's all good. We've all been there.

As I mentioned in the Restaurant Review thread, Graydon's Crossing puts the prices as: Taste - $x, Pint - $x. I 'm with grbrit that I'd like to know the size and price upfront on the menu. I know they don't necessarily do that at bars, but is Hopcat a bar or a restaurant?

Do I hear the patter of little feet running up to Kinko's for some amended signage?

I would call Hopcat a Beer Bar with Food.

BTW I will be a t Beer Festival

I haven't had Carlsberg at HopCat, but I'll defend their pricing model....

Not all beers are typically served in pints.

I had a barley wine there the other night and it was served in a snifter. As far as I know, from Bell's to New Holland, this is standard practice.

I had a hefe-weizen and it came in a tall glass of what I'd guess to be 16oz... yes, this is smaller than a German 22oz. Hefe Weizen glass, but I've had similar at other beer-bars... I wasn't surprised.

I'd side with you on the Carlsberg thing... that is a pint-poured beer if ever there was one.

I haven't had Carlsberg at HopCat, but I'll defend their pricing model....

Not all beers are typically served in pints.

I travelled to Germany many years ago. Every beer glass or stein had a mark on it with an indication of the volumn up to the mark. For example .5L for a half liter. I sure that this was required by law. I always thought that this was a reasonable requirement and wished that it was required here.

I'll give Hopcat a pass on the 2oz. if for no other reason than they've brought a beer joint to our fair city that can stand toe-to-toe with any "like-type" establishment anywhere in the country...

As far as Michigan brews are concerned, Bell's from Kalamazoo is fantastic! Just passed through your beautiful state (with stops in Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Muskegon) and was blown away by the quality of this great AZO beer. Hands down, Bell's has some of the finest brews I've ever consumed.

As far as Michigan brews are concerned, Bell's from Kalamazoo is fantastic! Just passed through your beautiful state (with stops in Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Muskegon) and was blown away by the quality of this great AZO beer. Hands down, Bell's has some of the finest brews I've ever consumed.

My brother introduced me to Bell's Oberon with a slice of orange.

Heaven . . .