The Walmart virus

Neo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well some people will take into account employment practices as to where they shop and obviously a whole lot of people don't and/or don't care. I like shopping those type of stores because I can get practically everything under one roof. I hate having to go to 50 places to get a handful of things. If there was a "local" place that could measure up to that and give me the convenience I'm looking for, great, but if not, then I will pass on the local places. Only time I hit local places is when I'm traveling overseas. As for employment practices, they have no bearing on where I shop. Unfortunately these days its darn near impossible to find American-made goods. A store that had nothing but that would gain me as a customer rather quickly.

I remember the small town of Frankenmuth, MI (which has an very big anti-sprawl agenda) opposed the potential coming of Wal-Mart. They couldn't revise their zoning code, to block a big box store, but they could modify it, which could put a damper on big box retail in general. Well, what could that beb? Underground parking for all new retail establishments with a certain number of spaces. Keep in mind this is a small rural town of 5000 residents. It worked, Wal-Mart dropped the deal. The owner of the land tried to sue and I believe lost.

That didn't deter good development for Frankenmuth. A new hotel recently went up, and all of its parking is underground.

I hate having to go to 50 places to get a handful of things.

I'm lucky to have 2 local chain discount stores (Bennys and Job Lot) right down the street from me, so I can avoid Walmart for the most part and not spend too much more money. Job Lot is one of those close-out type stores too, so you get better quality goods that have petty irregularities instead of cheap crap.

Following along with discussions here at UrbanPlanet over the past couple years has completely changed my outlook on places such as Walmart, as well as many other retail/restaurant chains, and pretty much everything else too lol. I've always kinda disliked Walmart, for some reason.. but recently have done my best to completely avoid them altogether.

One of the thing that bothers me the most about them is how they will simply plop a new store down in the middle of no where, many times even against nearby residents' wishes, and expect new retail and residential to follow - which it does, of course. This raises huge environmental concerns, affects local businesses, affects quality of life, etc etc.. as you guys have discussed.

What I cannot figure out is.. how do we stop this trend? I've tried speaking to friends/family about the "Walmart virus," as Neo puts it, and yet they continue to shop there, because you can't beat the convenience of it. I'm kinda at a loss. :huh:

What I cannot figure out is.. how do we stop this trend? I've tried speaking to friends/family about the "Walmart virus," as Neo puts it, and yet they continue to shop there, because you can't beat the convenience of it. I'm kinda at a loss. :huh:

Only way its going to stop is when they become less convenient and have higher prices. We are a nation addicted to low prices and used to being catered to because of the high amount of competition. Until that changes, things will likely stay as they are. The majority of people have a "not my problem" attitude towards how employers treat their employees, etc.

^^^

Yep. As gas prices continue to rise, Walmart's sales continue to rise as well. Their latest earnings data shows some stores up in sales as much as 15%, which is quite a feat in the retail world. In essence, gas prices are helping Walmart. The only way to topple Walmart is to figure out a way to beat them at their own game.

• 2 weeks later...
No hyphen in the wordmark and a friendly little sun for a logo. While it is underwhelming, it's better than what they had before.

I love their new slogan... "Save Money. Live Better." I'm not sure who they're referring to as living better...it certainly isn't the folks overseas making the cheap crap or their employees here in the US. The cheap crap consumers buy from Walmart must also be replaced or fixed much sooner than better made items overall so does it really save money in the long run?

Archived