Rays looking at Moving, Orlando a possibility

drjnieto

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, isn't Watson the one pushing for that entertainment sector on the north face of the N/S Bldg.? He had that proposal for the retractable roof stadium last year also. word was that he was talking with somebody over there even though they denied talking to him (Rays). something's up; this is the second straight year of regular season games at WDW. there's something up.

well, isn't Watson the one pushing for that entertainment sector on the north face of the N/S Bldg.? He had that proposal for the retractable roof stadium last year also. word was that he was talking with somebody over there even though they denied talking to him (Rays). something's up; this is the second straight year of regular season games at WDW. there's something up.

^ agreed. why would Orlando want another subpar professional sports team anyways? IMO, the Rays HAD their chance to make Orlando their home back in 1994. They blew it and NOW the Rays want to court Orlando citizens by having games at Disney. Whatever. I don't go to Disney even when there ISN'T a crummy baseball team playing there. Why would I go now??? To the Rays: You had your chance with Orlando, but chose St. Pete instead. You made your bed, now lie in it.

• 2 weeks later...

^^

it's their lost chance if they chose St. Pete over Orlando back in 1994.

They definitely are feeling out the area with those regular season games they've been playing here... probably in a ploy to get St. Pete to get off their butts...

but who knows. In 20 years, it will be one metro anyways. Too bad the stadium isn't in DT Tampa or near Polk...

^^

it's their lost chance if they chose St. Pete over Orlando back in 1994.

They definitely are feeling out the area with those regular season games they've been playing here... probably in a ploy to get St. Pete to get off their butts...

but who knows. In 20 years, it will be one metro anyways. Too bad the stadium isn't in DT Tampa or near Polk...

The Rays already play some home games here so you would think they would play all of them here.

Orlando has Cracker Jack Stadium for MLB Team.

Citrus Bowl or Knights new home for a NFL/MLS team.

Amway Arena for a NHL and WNBA team.

^^

Look, noone's a bigger townie about this place than me... at times... but I'm tired and emotionally drained with regard to the whole CFRAIL debacle. And I am going to that Aug. 6 public meeting for the train depot platform issue.

If MLB leaves the State of Florida, there's no way the MLB will approve another expansion team to come back in, b/c Fla would have proven to be a bust for MLB. The Marlins are fortunate.

Drafting Orlando's resume is fine. I do it all the time. That's not the issue... it has to do with $$$.

I want the MLB team, but the only way it will happen is if the Citrus Bowl gets scrapped and Watson does his deal with the County near the OCCC with that razzle dazzle proposal he had. But now, he's got that other entertainment proposal for the OCCC.

Also, Orlando doesn't have more corporate clout than Tampa Bay with regard to the selling of boxes-- too many variables to consider.

Orlando could get a future major sports franchise, but it will be tough.

Yes we have one of the largest TV markets in the country, but that will be what stops it.

NFL - The Bucs - Being only 70 miles away, they have a nice hold on the Orlando market when it comes to TV, and they don't wnat to give that up. Consider this, there are a couple teams that play within 70 miles in the NFL. Sanfran/Oakland, NY teams. However, this is before the NFL exploded in the last 10 years. The Bucs are not giving up the Orlando market. The league's TV revenue sharing does prevent problems from TV money, but outside of that...On top of that we'd need at least 200-300 Million in renovations to the Citrus Bowl. It will be another 20 years before this is even plausible at the Citrus Bowl.

MLB - The Rays - As long as the Rays are in St. Pete, MLB will not put a team in Orlando. Tampa has the rights to the Orlando TV market, and in baseball you make more money with more viewers. Orlando does not have a MLB ready stadium, and cannot afford one publically. I cannot see MLB allowing a team on the outskirts of a city (i.e. - if Osceola fronted the money) in Florida. It's blown up in their face twice.

NHL - The Lightning - See above with the Lightning. The new arena will host a hockey team, but likely an ECHL type.

MLS - There were talks in 2005 (Ajax) and then late last year, but at this point it won't likely happen, MLS's choice. Orlando has had some awful attendance when it comes to exhibition games between top professional clubs, and MLS has noticed. When they were here last Jan for training camps the MLS told Orlando they are expanding to Miami and only Miami.

I think, for now, the future of Orlando sports is the Magic. That is never a bad thing, as the NBA is fixing to blow up and become a worldwide type league.

It also doesn't mean we'll never see another professional franchise, it just means the future isn't looking to bright for one.

I believe Orange County has a special tax for tourists (a bed tax or something) that allows them to build public works projects. Since Orlando draws so many tourists they have got to have a pretty significant budget, which is why I believe the Orange County Convention Center is so nice. If they can use the same money for a baseball stadium funding shouldn't be much of an issue, which is very positive because I know the Rays were having problems trying to sell the new stadium to St. Pete residents.

I believe Orange County has a special tax for tourists (a bed tax or something) that allows them to build public works projects. Since Orlando draws so many tourists they have got to have a pretty significant budget, which is why I believe the Orange County Convention Center is so nice. If they can use the same money for a baseball stadium funding shouldn't be much of an issue, which is very positive because I know the Rays were having problems trying to sell the new stadium to St. Pete residents.

So need for them to build a new Stadium just a Roof over the existing one and talking about the Red Sox's moving their Spring Training home not from Fenway Park to Orlando. The Bucs hold Training Camp in Orlando so National TV coverage of the preseason games from Orlando would be good.

Archived