Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Grilled Cheese

13 posts in this topic

And now for something completely different...

What is your favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich? I am leaving it open to that.

Personally, I like mine made with Cruccolo cheese - it's an Italian cheese, very tasty, albeit very expensive. So I usually mix it with some Fontina for smoothness. Maybe a teaspoon of chopped scallions and parsley, on a nice textured bread. Plenty of butter while frying it.

Baring that, I have also started using as mixture of beer cheese (found at Trader Joe's) and Gouda. Makes a nice sandwich as well.

I luv gourmet grilled cheeses, but my favorite is just two slices of white old fashioned bread, a couple of slices of Kraft American Cheese, mayo, and plenty of butter in the skillet to fry it up. Reminds me of my childhood. Add some Campbell's tomato soup and I'm 5 years old again!! :fun:

I've been told Muenster makes a great grilled cheese.

I luv gourmet grilled cheeses, but my favorite is just two slices of white old fashioned bread, a couple of slices of Kraft American Cheese, mayo, and plenty of butter in the skillet to fry it up. Reminds me of my childhood. Add some Campbell's tomato soup and I'm 5 years old again!! :fun:

Cooked in a skillet with American Cheese and butter in the pan. Pair it up with a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

Grilled Cheese is a classic American kitsch food.........so of course it should be made with American "cheese food product"!! LOL A grilled cheese made with high quality cheese just wouldn't be the low brow, dee-lish sammich we all know and love.:)

But y'all forgot the dill pickle chips!

I typically put a four cheese mexican blend (2% of course!) between white wheat bread with some low fat butter made from olive oil. Probably not as tasty as one made with true butter, full fat cheese, etc, but I find it satisfying enough.

When I'm lazy and want a snack I'll microwave an open faced GCS. Just heat till the cheese slice (processed) starts to rise, then cut the microwave off, fold the sandwich over and enjoy. It isn't nearly as good, but it is quick and easy to clean up after.

My grandmother used o broil white bread with slices of sharp cheddar on top. That was pretty good and easy to do as well.

I've noticed that outside the southeast mayo is not used on grilled cheese. Heresy!

Mine is the basic 2 slice american cheese w/ mayo & buttered bread but with a slice of tomato.

I have noticed something on this. I posted a very similar question on another forum, but got totally different results. That other forum is a travel forum, and while US based, is much more international in focus. It seems that everyone there talks about what kind of cheese they use, or what special kind of bread. Here everyone talks about using good old fashioned stuff, but how they make it. Not saying either one is better or worse than the other, but just a totally different way of looking at something so simple!

Not even sure why we call it "grilled" cheese when it is the bread that gets grilled or fried :D But to stick with the question, I like mine pretty simple. American cheese on white bread buttered on the outside. The simpler the better.