• The Lafayette
    • The Hillsborough
    • Charter Square
  2. 2. Which project(s) cancelled?

• Soleil Center
    • The Lafayette
    • The Hillsborough
    • Charter Square

OK, so all these projects have been talked about for several years, and all have been delayed to some degree or another by the financial markets or other factors.

(A) Assuming that meeting the threshold of being "built first" means the occupancy/opening of the entire building site by the existing developer (Soleil Group, Empire, Reynolds Co, and TMC Group) in whatever form the building eventually takes, which is first to be completed? (Lafayette is being redesigned now--for example--so it's reincarnation/revision would be considered an extension of the current project, and not a new one.)

(B) Assuming that cancelled means the project is cancelled or otherwise unable to be completed or funded by the current developer, which projects are cancelled?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For folks that voted that Charter Square will be built first, keep in mind that they have not received site plan approval nor financing for their project (to my knowledge). The only portion that is U/C is the subterranean parking deck, not to be confused with the two towers above.

I put Lafayette as first built, but only Charter Square being seen to completion by its current developer(s).

The city will approve just about anything for that site as long as there are some upscale hotel rooms in the mix, so a reconfiguration wouldn't be difficult. And being between Progress Energy and the new Convention Center should make it easy for a devleoper with deep pockets to help bring Empire's vision for the project to life. But Empire won't be able to get the financing necessary to pull it off, and the city will get impatient in a hurry, so a well-monied partner will swoop in and get things done.

I could see Soleil built as a Westin hotel plus adjacent office tower before the current hotel/condo tower happens. And they have run into the brick wall created by the loan crisis. Ditto The Hillsborough.

Charter Square is not approved or under construction, but downtown is going to need office space in a hurry, and I think and Edison, are the two mostly likely to get done in the next few years.

I hate that Winston hotel duo between the Warehouse district and Glenwood South is on hold. Glenwood South will always be attractive to convention goers, so putting hotels between the two is a no brainer.

Archived