Charlotte Critical Mass

fulcrumsf

So for those of you who don't know. Charlotte now has a Critical Mass. Critical Mass started years ago as a group of bicyclist decided to meet and ride their bicycle throughout the city. The intentions where to set a statement and ride for the respect and rights of cyclist on the road. Some people just ride for fun, exercise, or to set and example to encourage driving less, or for whatever reason. This Critical Mass has spread throughout the world and their are hundreds of cities that participate in this usually monthly activity. The next event will start from Common Market @ 7:30pm on Friday July 25th (It's usually the last Friday of the month). Generally their is no set course and the group as a whole either decides the coarse as they go or sometimes they may play follow the leader. It really depends and can sometimes be organic in nature. I haven't rode in the Charlotte Critical Mass yet because it's so new. I did use to ride in San Francisco my former residence and plan on making the next event. I heard the last turnout was pretty decent, like 25-50 riders. Sorry there isn't an official website, but they past out fliers at the local bicycle shop, or you can click the link to get the latest info on the meeting locations and times. It's fun, and bring a friend, tell a friend, spread the word. It's a great source of exercise, a great way to meet new people and a great way to see the city. Ride Safely

NCfixed.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So for those of you who don't know. Charlotte now has a Critical Mass. Critical Mass started years ago as a group of bicyclist decided to meet and ride their bicycle throughout the city. The intentions where to set a statement and ride for the respect and rights of cyclist on the road. Some people just ride for fun, exercise, or to set and example to encourage driving less, or for whatever reason. This Critical Mass has spread throughout the world and their are hundreds of cities that participate in this usually monthly activity. The next event will start from Common Market @ 7:30pm on Friday July 25th (It's usually the last Friday of the month). Generally their is no set course and the group as a whole either decides the coarse as they go or sometimes they may play follow the leader. It really depends and can sometimes be organic in nature. I haven't rode in the Charlotte Critical Mass yet because it's so new. I did use to ride in San Francisco my former residence and plan on making the next event. I heard the last turnout was pretty decent, like 25-50 riders. Sorry there isn't an official website, but they past out fliers at the local bicycle shop, or you can click the link to get the latest info on the meeting locations and times. It's fun, and bring a friend, tell a friend, spread the word. It's a great source of exercise, a great way to meet new people and a great way to see the city. Ride Safely

NCfixed.com

I try to be as considerate as possible to bikers when I pass by them or get behind them so don't shoot the messenger.

I don't know all of the "rules" and such but I would think that a large group of bikers just riding around to show that they are there would actually get people to dislike them as opposed to supporting them. Bikers have just as much a right to the road as a car but if a large group is blocking the road and not allowing the faster vehicle to pass (whether intentionally or not), it seems would cause more conflict and strained relations than not.

^ That's the inherent tension Critical Mass tries to address. It's literally a social movement to jolt people into recognizing that cycling is more than a vanity sport, it's a valid option on par with autos. Actions in larger cities have spurred a lot of resentment and outright hostility. Charlotte is on a slow learning curve on progressive issues . So participation is small and citywide impact light, but these things have a way of growing fast :ph34r:

I try to be as considerate as possible to bikers when I pass by them or get behind them so don't shoot the messenger.

I don't know all of the "rules" and such but I would think that a large group of bikers just riding around to show that they are there would actually get people to dislike them as opposed to supporting them. Bikers have just as much a right to the road as a car but if a large group is blocking the road and not allowing the faster vehicle to pass (whether intentionally or not), it seems would cause more conflict and strained relations than not.

I am going to try to come. I used to ride frequently several years ago but when my friend's car was stolen I loaned him my bike. Now I'm fat and lazy and don't think I can make it more than half a mile. The 24 Hours of Booty start on the 25th at 7pm. I would guess a lot of Charlotte bikers will be participating.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good time. We left from Corner Marking in Plaza-Millwood and too Providence to South Park Mall, then Colony up to the booty loop/Queens University. We rode the booty loop a couple times counter-clockwise (the opposite of the 24 Hours of Booty ride) and cheered them on a bit. Then headed back to Common Market. Nobody really got too crazy and we didn't have any run ins with motorists (that I saw). Most offered a wave or complement (or asked what it was). I'm looking forward to next month.

My Critical Mass photo set

• 3 weeks later...

August Critical Mass is coming up soon; Friday the 29th at 7:30 at the Common Market, Commonwealth between Thomas and The Plaza. I think we'll have 80+ there this month. I've built a camera mount for my bike and will be filming.

Edit: I've moved my general Charlotte bicycling discussion to the bike lane thread.

i'm really more a dirt/mud kinda guy, but it looks fun and i'll be participating as soon as i get something a bit more appropriate. trying to find a good hardtail mountain bike that will be good for both ends of the spectrum (i'd look silly AND be unable to keep up on my little sprint-geared bmx bike!) ...is anybody else there riding mountain bikes? it looked almost all fixed-gear.

• 3 weeks later...

2880684997_1e3ca10641.jpg

This Friday at 7:30pm at the Common Market (near The Plaza and Commonwealth Ave.)

Fixed-gear, BMX, track bikes, road bikes, mountain bikes, unicycles, anything that has wheels and is pedal powered. All riders welcome and bring your friends!

What is Critical Mass?

Critical Mass is a worldwide movement to promote the use of bicycles as a viable means of transportation, and have fun while doing it. Rides happen in cities around the world every last Friday of the month and is open to all riders.

How long are the rides and who decides where to ride?

Maybe a couple hours, maybe 10 to 20 miles. There is no predetermined time or route. Everybody is welcome to give input, and the ride can vary as the group moves about the city.

Who runs Critical Mass?

Nobody runs Critical Mass! There is no organized structure and no leaders. That said, the people at ncfixed.com do a lot of work promoting the ride.

Are the rides 'athletic'? Do I need to be in shape?

No. People of all ages and abilities ride. The average speed is about 5mph -- parade speed. But cycling is a good way to get in shape.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure the path of critical masses, but I do hope that at least on Halloween that it is routed on major commercial streets where there is no danger to kids trick or treating. Since its originating at CM, I think there is some danger to kids on Comm Ave. who may not easily see or hear a bike coming after 7pm.

Archived