First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

Nashville Sounds stadium to cost $10M more than expected

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2015/03/18/first-tennessee-park-to-cost-10m-more/24954299/

Of course it will cost more than expected...Just about everything Metro finances costs more than expected when Rich Riebeling is associated with it. Hopefully the new administration will replace this guy. It is things like this, that make taxpayers wary to support new projects...the AMP, Ped Bridge, etc.

Rules of Finance: Always budget higher. If you come in under budget, you look like the Savior, if not then at least you don't have a huge number to try to find ways to pay for. I understand their will be higher costs, weather delays etc...but geez.

I question the Mayor's spin: "When all is said and done, the economic activity and development occurring around the ballpark and the tax revenues they will generate will more than make up for these additional costs.”

Such as? I think it's safe to say that most of the current Germantown/Salemtown/HBV activity would be taking place regardless of the stadium. It was certainly going strong before the stadium site was chosen. The reality is more that the stadium was placed in a red hot part of town. The city and state-owned land on which the stadium sits was the only property in the area that was NOT subject to active speculation.

• Like 1

It is actually smaller than Greer, 10,000 vs 10,300 permanent seats. It is significantly smaller than AutoZone Park in Memphis (14,384) which is a far more impressive stadium:

Inside_Autozone_Park_4_by_BigMac1212.jpg

Even Albuquerque has a more impressive park (11,154), and it was cheaper to build ($25 million in 2001) than our beige Camry version of a ball park!

isotopes20stadium201.jpg

It really is coming together as a disappointment, especially for $75 million. I guess we'll see on opening day.

Camry version of a ball park is right.  Geez...somehow I didn't pick up from the renderings that it was so...dull...and basic...I think another workable comparison would be Dockers slacks.  It is the Dockers of baseball stadiums.  Personally, I'd put it below even Four Winds Field which is home to the single A South Bend (IN) Cubs:

5333248e4a680.image.jpg

Edited by BnaBreaker

To be fair, we're not exactly getting a good representation of the finished product here.  A little sunshine and more grass will paint a much prettier picture.  Also, let's not forget this photo doesn't include the joint centerpieces that will make this ball park special--the score board and the Nashville Skyline. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 2

Also, I'm not a fan AT ALL of the suites directly behind home plate. It eats up so much space and ruins the continuity of the stadium both from a visual and fan experience perspective IMO. I shudder to think how often most of the seats for the ground-level suites will be empty, with no way for other fans to move down there when crowds are light. A big design miss.

• Like 2

I agree with the feelings on the stadium being bland. When you compare it to the above listed stadiums, it doesn't come close. Why did they not include some brick....... Looks just like this Nebraska furniture store chain.....Good ole "historic" sulphur dell replaced with a concrete general purpose building.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7901137998_d46774d219.jpg

Edited by AgentNorth
  • Like 2

I agree with the feelings on the stadium being bland. When you compare it to the above listed stadiums, it doesn't come close. Why did they not include some brick....... Looks just like this Nebraska furniture store chain.....Good ole "historic" sulphur dell replaced with a concrete general purpose building.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7901137998_d46774d219.jpg

Agreed...from the outside, to me, it looks like a small hospital or airport terminal.