First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

A pitcher and frequent webcam checker.    Someone invite him to UrbanPlanet!

The civil engineering reference made me wonder, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Mills_%28pitcher%29

Mills pitched collegiately for the University of Arizona Wildcats. Mills was originally selected by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 22nd round (660th overall) in the 2006 amateur draft. Mills, however, chose not to sign with the Jays and instead returned to school for his senior year to complete his degree in civil engineering.

Well, now he NEEDS to be on here.

Edit: And hey, look at that.

1428481961922596.jpg

Edited by PruneTracy
  • Like 3

Snapped a few photos on my run today.  

Landscaping around west entrance

post-29449-0-66545800-1428520148_thumb.j

Greenway east entrance (looks like greenway will be gated off during games)

post-29449-0-94097500-1428520173_thumb.j

If I were in the bar business, I'd be trying to get my hands on this building to open the "Ballpark Bar & Grille" when Embrey is finished with it.   Edit:  sorry, "Grill".    "Grille" is too pretentious for Triple A baseball.      ;)

post-29449-0-41638900-1428520199_thumb.j

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

Greenway east entrance (looks like greenway will be gated off during games)

I've been curious about this since I saw the fence go up behind the berm (at the bottom of the construction camera view). Is the site laid out to imply that the concrete walkway behind the berm serves as the greenway? It would make a lot more sense to have the greenway run outside the fence on a separate path and leave it open at all times, not just to accommodate users during games but also to keep up security at other times.

• Like 2

I've been curious about this since I saw the fence go up behind the berm (at the bottom of the construction camera view). Is the site laid out to imply that the concrete walkway behind the berm serves as the greenway? It would make a lot more sense to have the greenway run outside the fence on a separate path and leave it open at all times, not just to accommodate users during games but also to keep up security at other times.

I agree with you.   The greenway connects Bicentennial Mall with the Riverfront greenway and should not be impeded by gating it off during games.       The rendering below suggests open access to the greenway from the parking structure (left foreground) and the proposed residential buildings.    I really don't understand why the fence and gates are being installed where they are.   

26384036.sf.jpg

Really quite odd. I had hoped that the end result would be something similar to left field at PGE Park in Portland, OR:

56d0af9c-4782-4d5a-85a8-37de30317028.jpg

There once was a fence between the sidewalk and the seats in this image, but I hear that fence has since been removed. It was really neat to stop on the sidewalk for a few moments to watch a few pitches without feeling like I'm doing something illicit. To me, a fence in such a place smacks of rent-a-cop/No Loitering/"Move along, sir!" instead of making it feel like they are freely sharing a taste of what's inside.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

Dean invites public to Nashville Sounds stadium opening

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/07/dean-invites-public-nashville-sounds-stadium-opening/25389459/

Ok Mr Dean...so you are going to invite the Public to a sold-out game at 4.30pm in the middle of rush hour on a Friday - with virtually little parking availalbe, and expect for the public to park, get to the stadium, those who don't have tickets leave the stadium, and those with tickets find parking and get to the stadium by 6.45pm?

Good Luck!

This is going to be a traffic nightmare.

• Like 2

I still wonder why they didn't go with a more traditional red brick structure...which would have fit in nicely with Nashville's red brick buildings and looked a little more "baseball."

I don't disagree but I think it is absolutely missing the human scale elements that make the exterior of older stadiums so endearing. Feels institutional.

Dean invites public to Nashville Sounds stadium opening

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/07/dean-invites-public-nashville-sounds-stadium-opening/25389459/

Ok Mr Dean...so you are going to invite the Public to a sold-out game at 4.30pm in the middle of rush hour on a Friday - with virtually little parking availalbe, and expect for the public to park, get to the stadium, those who don't have tickets leave the stadium, and those with tickets find parking and get to the stadium by 6.45pm?

Good Luck!

This is going to be a traffic nightmare.

He's working in silence. Create a cluster and then offer solutions once the issues are out in the open (or at least more commonly known).

No where to park? City financed garage.

Traffic sucks? Woulda been nice to ride a nice piece of public transportation over there.

I'm kidding, but this will be the more common experience for people and honestly if the ball is to get rolling this is one way to expose any areas to improve the infrastructure.  

Yeah. Friday is going to be a cluster, and I will be in the thick of it, so I'll try to report back.

Got tix for opening night at the ballpark. Also have tix for the Preds game that night. Planning on going to the ballpark for about an hour, then somehow getting over to the Arena in time for faceoff. Personally, I would just bike the whole trip, but my wife doesn't do bicycles, so that is not an option for me.

May try the green line, but I'm worried about its reliability.

Yeah. Friday is going to be a cluster, and I will be in the thick of it, so I'll try to report back.

Got tix for opening night at the ballpark. Also have tix for the Preds game that night. Planning on going to the ballpark for about an hour, then somehow getting over to the Arena in time for faceoff. Personally, I would just bike the whole trip, but my wife doesn't do bicycles, so that is not an option for me.

Uber

There is a golf cart shuttle company working the downtown area named...wait for it...HEE HAWLIN. (I'm serious.) The phone number on the front of the cart was 615 767 9692. The name is so clever I took a pic of the cart and told the driver I would post on Facebook and spread the word. He deserves the business for the inventive naming alone!

• Like 1

You can bike, she can walk. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Oh, I love Uber. Uber crossed my mind as the first alternative, but post-Preds I'm sure it will be in "premium" pricing hours and that always makes me think twice.

I'll probably just park on the east bank, Uber to the ballpark, green line or walk to the arena, then walk back to the car after the Preds WIN.

There is a golf cart shuttle company working the downtown area named...wait for it...HEE HAWLIN. (I'm serious.) The phone number on the front of the cart was 615 767 9692. The name is so clever I took a pic of the cart and told the driver I would post on Facebook and spread the word. He deserves the business for the inventive naming alone!

Too bad they could not use BR 549 and ask for junior Samples.

Got this in my email today. B-cycle will be free and shuttle from the courthouse parking garage. That should help.

Still think they should invite the general public on a non-game day. Do a player meet greet, stadium tours, team/ticket info tours, and whatever musical act they want. But opening day on a Friday along with other events in the city going on is poor planning IMO.

Also,

Friday dilemma: Preds playoffs or Sounds opener?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2015/04/13/ammenheuser-preds-sounds-dilemma/25712017/

Share this:email.pngtwitter.pngfacebook.pnglinkedin.png karldean_ts_01.jpg

04c8053e0e51ed546fc36ae7_491x766.jpg
Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1