First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Well considering the Titans only have 8 home games and the capacity is 69K it wouldn't be that hard to beat. Sounds have 71 home games with capacity of 10K.

I wonder where they got that number for the Sounds though. I am guessing just ticket sells which is usually a BS number. That is how the Titans report attendance I believe, so they technically had 553K 3 years ago. (probably 400K were away fans haha)

Side note: Vanderbilt only had like 187K in attendance last year with an average of 31K

That was my point, that a minor league baseball team has similar attendance numbers to an NFL team. Something to consider when the Titans ask the city to pony up $1B+ for a new stadium in 10 years. It would be interesting to see a study of the actual economic impact of the individual major sports franchises in the Nashville area. I would imagine the Predators are well ahead of everyone else at this point. Ironically, the Titans' poor on-field performance over the past decade has likely improved their overall economic impact as visiting teams' fans treat the city and Nissan Stadium as a "home away from home." Bad for Titans fans (like me) but good for business.

1 hour ago, japan said:

Like you said, the Titans and the Preds bring outside tourists to the city while the Sounds do not.  

Also, Football and Hockey are thrilling, and Baseball is not.

I don't mean to offend, but at a Preds game, the noise, the excitement, and the entertainment value is through the roof. The First TN Park literally has a 9 hole mini-golf course to keep you entertained. The outfield bar with couches, televisions, ping pong, cornhole, foosball, and shuffleboard, is why I go to Sounds games. 

I know, I know, the Preds are a major league sports team that has millions of dollars behind them, and the Sounds are a minor league-team in a medium-sized city, so of course there's going to be a big contrast, but my point is, there's is an extreme difference in the experience you have at any baseball game compared to hockey games.

@Titans10 you're right, First TN Park is usually half-empty (except for the crowded outfield entertainment area) and there are usually people milling about, bored.

I really hope the love of Soccer is far stronger than the love of Baseball in this city.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The Sounds have parted ways with the Oakland A's and are rumored to be courting either the Texas Rangers or the Washington Nationals as their MLB affiliate.  Personally, I'm hoping for the Rangers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/09/17/youre-out-sounds-oakland-as-end-partnership.html

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The Sounds have parted ways with the Oakland A's and are rumored to be courting either the Texas Rangers or the Washington Nationals as their MLB affiliate.  Personally, I'm hoping for the Rangers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/09/17/youre-out-sounds-oakland-as-end-partnership.html

Per Ballpark Digest, it looks like we are down to either the Milwaukee Brewers or the Washington Nationals.

After Oakland and Las Vegas signed a new affiliation deal yesterday, there are five open affiliations at Triple-A. The New York Mets purchased the Syracuse Chiefs (Class AAA; International League) and are expected to shift affiliation there. With the Colorado Springs Sky Sox moving to San Antonio for 2019, it’s expected the Texas Rangers will shift affiliation from Round Rock to San Antonio. Nashville and the Fresno Grizzlies will be seeking new MLB partners from Milwaukee (a former parent of the Nashville Sounds) and Washington.

I think I would prefer the Nationals.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I don' follow baseball at all, so will this be a pro for the Sounds?

Are you talking about Affiliation? I don't think it really matters. Triple A is the highest classification but it tends to be more for career minor league players. Single and Double is where teams play their real prospects to get them ready for the majors. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Are you talking about Affiliation? I don't think it really matters. Triple A is the highest classification but it tends to be more for career minor league players. Single and Double is where teams play their real prospects to get them ready for the majors. 

Yeah that is what I was talking about. I wasn't sure if this would mean the team would be better or worse.

Can't recall if this was posted before, but here is a reissue of The Tennessean's excellent 9 part (inning)  piece from  a while back on the history of baseball in Nashville, starting around the time of the Civil War. Lots of photos of Sulpher Dell Stadium through the years, etc.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2015/04/10/nashville-sounds-sulphur-dell-baseball-stadium/25482503/

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

With First Tennessee Bank merging with its new parent company, First Horizon National Corp., that means the stadium will undergo a name change starting in the fall.  It will be some variation of "First Horizon Park."

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/06/12/first-tennessee-bank-change-name-first-horizon-bank/1435710001/

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

^ ^ ^  Indeed, it will officially now be "First Horizon Park.

Also:

Since the ballpark opened in 2015, more than 2.5 million people have attended about 150 events have been held at the facility, including the venue’s first major concert headlined by Kings of Leon.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/education/belmong-university/article/21083846/of-note-23-aug-2019

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Sounds, which wrapped up their latest season last month, are among the 10 most popular minor league teams, according to total attendance figures. To see exactly where the Sounds rank, check out the slideshow with this story.

The Sounds had total attendance of 578,291 at First Tennessee Park this season, for an average of 8,631 fans per game. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/10/10/take-me-out-to-the-ball-game-sounds-among-most.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...