First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

What museums would you envision going on the Greer site?  Would that be existing museums moving there or new ones starting there?  And would the museum campus preclude using Greer for sports-related uses?

I'm still pushing for a museum campus. It will help stabilize the area with more consistent daily traffic, and could lead to the opportunity for more restaurants to open in the area.

What museums would you envision going on the Greer site?  Would that be existing museums moving there or new ones starting there?  And would the museum campus preclude using Greer for sports-related uses?

My plan would tear down Greer and put a couple (2 or 3) museums around the hill on the existing stadium and parking footprint, and then connecting a back road to Bass St just to the east of Adventure Science Center.

I do think a Civil War Museum (whether as a component of a larger museum, or stand alone) is a must, considering Fort Negley is on the campus (which itself would serve as sort of a living museum -- requiring more restoration/excavation). The visitor center is nice, but tiny. My vision would be to create a Civil War Museum that covers not only the battle of Nashville, but all Tennessee battles -- perhaps the entire Western Theater of the war. A lot of people don't realize that Tennessee was the second most active state in terms of engagements during the Civil War -- only behind Virginia. While a lot of the battles don't have the same notoriety, they were very important...Shiloh, Stones River, Franklin, Lookout Mountain/Missionary Ridge, Nashville, etc. The museum could serve as a guide and a launching point for Civil War enthusiasts to check out battlefields across the state.

I realize there are currently plans for the Tennessee State Museum, and the National Museum of African American Music in other locales...and I don't have a real problem for the proposals for either of them...and I understand the state probably wants their museum within vision of the capitol and Bicentennial Mall...but both of those should be a possibility for this site.

A museum of natural history and a museum of Nashville history would both be considerations for the Greer site. I think the proximity to the old City Cemetery would make that an easy side tour. Some of these museums may be relatively small (at least initially) in terms of their collections...but perhaps a single building to house several of them with a single admission fee option would make it more attractive. And since it is a large site, it would also allow for museum expansion in the future, without having to relocate.

I think there would have to be a fairly significant investment involved in this, but my feeling is that putting the museums in close proximity would create an attraction to the area, and it would have a positive effect on the surrounding areas. It would definitely have more consistent daily traffic than any other current proposed use.

My plan would tear down Greer and put a couple (2 or 3) museums around the hill on the existing stadium and parking footprint, and then connecting a back road to Bass St just to the east of Adventure Science Center.

I do think a Civil War Museum (whether as a component of a larger museum, or stand alone) is a must, considering Fort Negley is on the campus (which itself would serve as sort of a living museum -- requiring more restoration/excavation). The visitor center is nice, but tiny. My vision would be to create a Civil War Museum that covers not only the battle of Nashville, but all Tennessee battles -- perhaps the entire Western Theater of the war. A lot of people don't realize that Tennessee was the second most active state in terms of engagements during the Civil War -- only behind Virginia. While a lot of the battles don't have the same notoriety, they were very important...Shiloh, Stones River, Franklin, Lookout Mountain/Missionary Ridge, Nashville, etc. The museum could serve as a guide and a launching point for Civil War enthusiasts to check out battlefields across the state.

I realize there are currently plans for the Tennessee State Museum, and the National Museum of African American Music in other locales...and I don't have a real problem for the proposals for either of them...and I understand the state probably wants their museum within vision of the capitol and Bicentennial Mall...but both of those should be a possibility for this site.

A museum of natural history and a museum of Nashville history would both be considerations for the Greer site. I think the proximity to the old City Cemetery would make that an easy side tour. Some of these museums may be relatively small (at least initially) in terms of their collections...but perhaps a single building to house several of them with a single admission fee option would make it more attractive. And since it is a large site, it would also allow for museum expansion in the future, without having to relocate.

I think there would have to be a fairly significant investment involved in this, but my feeling is that putting the museums in close proximity would create an attraction to the area, and it would have a positive effect on the surrounding areas. It would definitely have more consistent daily traffic than any other current proposed use.

I love this idea, especially the civil war museum on the site.  maybe I could work there.

Don't tell me you've been living under a rock all this time to not know professional leagues like MLS and NASL exist.

Converting Greer into a soccer stadium wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Look at Portland when they got an expansion team in the Timbers. They converted their old baseball stadium into use as a soccer venue.

Not been living under a rock, but I am good at tuning things out.  When soccer highlights are shown on Sports Center I use that opportunity find something else to watch, or to go do what I may need to do much like WNBA or NASCAR highlights.

I like this idea; especially the Civil War museum part, and it would give us (family) something else to do or see when in Nashville.

• 1 month later...

Information session and community meeting to discuss new baseball stadium

The Metro Planning Department will hold an information session and community meeting to discuss the proposed new baseball stadium in Sulphur Dell (south of Jefferson/Jackson Street, west of Third Avenue North, north of Harrison Street, and east of Fifth Avenue North).

Sulphur Dell is the historic home of professional baseball in Nashville.

This event will include discussions about the stadium project, site and building design, street design, and operational impacts.  Community members will have the opportunity to submit questions and comments.

The information session and community meeting will take place on Thursday, October 24, from 2 pm to 3:30 pm at the Nashville Farmers' Market, 900 Rosa L. Parks Boulevard, Nashville, TN 37208.

WSMV had some video of this plan that showed the park on the actual site of the old Sulphur Dell Park. I don't know if this is the working plan for the moment.

sulphur-dell-ballpark-concept*600.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

I think there will be a lot more development in the area in addition to what the land use illustration shows. Several parcels are already for sale and I think there will be movement here by this time next year either with or without the stadium. Hopefully that deal can be worked out as it makes for a very unique area of town. If only there was a plan to rid the area of all of the state parking lots. I wish they could all be replaced with parking garages, with residential built on top and first floor retail and commercial. That plan would solve all of the issues in the area, but seems as if the state has a sweet love affair with parking lots as they seem to want more.

It's interesting that the state's twin office towers on James Robertson Pkwy weren't required to have structured parking. Considering they are more recent buildings, I'm curious why structured parking wasn't desired or required, aside from cost.

I think there will be a lot more development in the area in addition to what the land use illustration shows. Several parcels are already for sale and I think there will be movement here by this time next year either with or without the stadium. Hopefully that deal can be worked out as it makes for a very unique area of town. If only there was a plan to rid the area of all of the state parking lots. I wish they could all be replaced with parking garages, with residential built on top and first floor retail and commercial. That plan would solve all of the issues in the area, but seems as if the state has a sweet love affair with parking lots as they seem to want more.

It's interesting that the state's twin office towers on James Robertson Pkwy weren't required to have structured parking. Considering they are more recent buildings, I'm curious why structured parking wasn't desired or required, aside from cost.

My recollection is that those two buildings [Davy Crockett and Andrew Johnson] were privately built with a lease purchase agreement with the State [McWherter administration, I think].  Obviously parking was not a consideration at the time.  As I recall, this construction was pre-Bicentennial park which may offer an explaination in addition to costs.

My recollection is that those two buildings [Davy Crockett and Andrew Johnson] were privately built with a lease purchase agreement with the State [McWherter administration, I think].  Obviously parking was not a consideration at the time.  As I recall, this construction was pre-Bicentennial park which may offer an explaination in addition to costs.

These were indeed built pre-Bicentennial.  I attended the grand opening of the park and official Bicentennial celebration.  They shot fireworks from the roofs of those buildings.  If I recall, Issac Hayes was there, and performed the theme from "Shaft."

That would have been fantastic! So random, yet so awesome!

It was pretty awesome.  I was 13 at the time.  I don't remember who else was there to perform; but seeing him in a bright blue suit playing a guitar with a wah pedal stuck in my mind.

Back on topic...I wonder how reluctant the State will be to not only give up the surface lots there, but also data center north.  That is the building flanking the east side of the park.  They just finished an interior renovation and moved several divisions over there.  It's not necessarily in the stadium footprint, but is where the "museum row" is shown.

Back on topic...I wonder how reluctant the State will be to not only give up the surface lots there, but also data center north.  That is the building flanking the east side of the park.  They just finished an interior renovation and moved several divisions over there.  It's not necessarily in the stadium footprint, but is where the "museum row" is shown.

That's correct, so I'd be leery of anything other than the stadium footprint.  Besides, haven't there been other plans that showed the museum or state library and archieves going on either side of the carillon end of the park?  Wishful thinking is all.

Edited by captainwjm

The State Museum and Archives location have been pretty much in the same planned location for years now. I think when the funds become available that is where they will be. The data center has seemingly been in the planned footprint for a while. I don't know what the plans are for that building is.

I wonder how reluctant the State will be to not only give up the surface lots there, but also data center north.  That is the building flanking the east side of the park.  They just finished an interior renovation and moved several divisions over there.  It's not necessarily in the stadium footprint, but is where the "museum row" is shown.

To follow up on my previous comment on the state's data center, I have seen some of the documents giving more detail on the state's long range plans for the area.  The data center will remain as is.  The proposed state museum, a separate building from the state library and archives, is proposed to be located next to the data center.  On the rendering shown, both the data center and a proposed museum are encompassed in the museum row.

it is still pointed the wrong direction

I guess they feel a nice view of the skyline is more important than the old "recommended" rule that the field be laid out with the line between home plate and 2nd base running north to south, and 3rd to 1st east to west. I'm no baseball stadium guru, but it's my understanding that baseball parks from MLB, to your regular high school field, are laid out in a variety of directions. Not that I care or would ever even consider attending a Sounds baseball game, I think the direction they have it facing in the renders is the best direction. (Imo)

If I was attendending a game there, I would much rather have a view of the skyline in the background, versus a view of Jefferson street. Just sayin...

Edited by mirydi

they couls move home plate into the western corner and still get a good view of downtown. in fact people on the 3rd base side would have a great view, people on teh other side would lose some but not all. and that would get much closer to the right direction. 

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflopflyball/info-orientation.html

here is a reference for all MLB parks, the direction teh batter is facing.