Movies involving your city.

monsoon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATL- I'm not sure lately. In the early 90's ATL became somewhat of a film center.

Lotsa movies- Boxing Helena, Driving Ms Daisey, that futuristic film with Mick Jagger and that one film about the firefighters going after that treasure in East St. Louis and get trapped by gangs. That one was shot in the Cabbagetown hood- in the Fulton Cotton Mill which became a successful Loft developement.

Many of my friends were in film and had more work than they could handle.

One carpenter friend was overwhelmed with prop building, and quit building homes and bought 4 trucks for this work. But union problems apparantly shut down most of the work. My friends trucks were sabatoged weekly! According to my film friends the industry packed up for North Carolina and Toronto.

My girlfriend is an actor and frequently goes to Wilmington, NC for jobs.

The only movies made in Flint are Michael Moore films. So that would be Roger and Me, Pets or Meat, & part of Bowling for Columbine. I don't know of any others. Part of Roger & Me was filmed right outside the entrance to my subdivision. I somehow missed all the action though - I must've been on vacation or something. This area's not exactly the best place to film something unless you're filming a documentary about the auto industry, crime, or the failure of cities.

Well in the Greensboro area, I can think of 2 big movies. The first was Hellraiser (part 3 I think). There was a scene of a girl running down Elm Street in downtown Greensboro being chased by Pinhead and his goons and they blew a car up in front of the Jefferson Standard building at the intersection of Elm and Market Streets. A number of local personalities such Rick Amne, a former reporter for wxii in Winston-Salem, play a small part as a news reporter in the movie.

The second major movie made in the area is Cabin Fever. That movie will hit theaters nationwide this weekend. The East coast Premeire was held at Greensboro's historic Carolina Theatre ("showplace of the Carolinas") last Saturday where people came all dressed in fine clothing and riding in limos and Rolls Royce and they got to walk on the red carpet. Movie viewers got to mingle with the stars of the movie. It really was a big deal and for a moment you could have sworn that you were in Hollywood. The Film industry in the Triad is definately Growing and it wouldn't surprise me if the Triad became one of the top filming areas on the east coast. After all, the North Carolina School of the Arts is in Winston-Salem and UNCG has an excellent art program. Greensboro has an excellent TV production program for High School students at the Weaver Educational Center downtown.

Next year there is a movie called Providence about Providence starring Matthew Broderick and Alec Balwin coming out. It's a dark comedy set in the 80s about government corruption and/or the mob (the government and the mob are pretty much the same thing here).

We also had those Farelly Brothers movies filmed in Rhode Island and Providence. And Outside Providence and Federal Hill were both filmed/set here.

"October Sky" was filmed near Knoxville and had the downtown be a body double for 1950s Indianapolis. and Quentin Tarantino always seems to mention Knoxville in his movies, because he went to 5th grade there.

in Columbia it was "The Program," which I saw for the first time after living in Columbia this summer. it was amusing to see the Olympia and Granby mills in use in the movie.

-

Guest donaltopablo

From IMDB (use power search, location and enter a city)

Atlanta

"Arsenio" (1997) TV Series

"Blind Date" (1999/I) TV Series

...aka "Cupid Confidential" (1999) (Europe: English title)

"Born to Diva" (2003) TV Series

"Celebrate the Century" (1999) (mini) TV Series

"Georgia Outdoors" (1989) TV Series

"Good Eats" (1999) TV Series

"I'll Fly Away" (1991) TV Series

"In Touch with Charles Stanley" (1990) TV Series

...aka "TBN's In Touch with Charles Stanley" (1990) (USA: cable TV title)

"Insomniac with Dave Attell" (2001) TV Series

"Man Made Movie, The" (1999) TV Series

"Movie Bowl, The" (2002) TV Series

"NFL Monday Night Football" (1970) TV Series

"Parting the Waters" (2000) (mini) TV Series

"Peep Show, The" (1996) TV Series

"Praise the Lord" (1990) TV Series

...aka "TBN's Praise the Lord" (1990) (USA: complete title)

"Profiler" (1996) TV Series

"Raw Is War" (1997) TV Series

...aka "Monday Night Raw" (1997) (USA)

...aka "Raw" (1997) (USA)

...aka "WWE Raw Is War" (2002) (USA: new title)

...aka "WWF Raw Is War" (1997) (USA)

...aka "WWF Raw" (2001) (USA: new title)

...aka "WWF Warzone" (1997) (USA: second part title)

"Savannah" (1996) TV Series

"WAGA Fox 5 Atlanta News at 10 PM" (1977) TV Series

"WCW Monday Nitro" (1995) TV Series

...aka "World Championship Wrestling Monday Nitro" (1995) (USA)

"WWF Smackdown!" (1999) TV Series

...aka "Smackdown! Xtreme" (1999) (USA)

...aka "WWE Smackdown!" (2002) (USA: new title)

...aka "World Wrestling Federation Smackdown!" (1999) (USA)

@lien (2004)

Adventures of Ociee Nash, The (2003)

Apocalypse domani (1980) 4.6/10 (153 votes)

...aka Apocalipse Cannibal (1980)

...aka Apocalipsis can

Guest donaltopablo

Miami

"A que no te atreves" (1999) TV Series

"Aguamarina" (1998) TV Series

"America's Most Wanted" (1988) TV Series

...aka "America's Most Wanted: America Fights Back" (1996) (USA: new title)

"American Idol: The Search for a Superstar" (2002) TV Series

...aka "American Idol 2" (2003) (USA: new title)

"Antiques Roadshow" (1997) TV Series

"Blind Date" (1999/I) TV Series

...aka "Cupid Confidential" (1999) (Europe: English title)

"Born to Diva" (2003) TV Series

"C.S.I.: Miami" (2002) TV Series

"Caribe" (1975) TV Series

"Chat" (2001) TV Series

"Cindy Margolis Show, The" (2000) TV Series

"Comic View Caliente" (2002) TV Series

"Cops" (1989) TV Series

"Dom DeLuise Show, The" (1968) TV Series

"Don Francisco Presenta" (2001) TV Series

"Enamorada" (1999) TV Series

"Esc

I almost forgot, Children of the Corn was shot in the Greensboro area in a town called Liberty. Seems like the Greensboro area attracts horror movies for some reason or another.

The movie "Eddie" with Whoopie Goldberg was filmed in Winston-Salem and Charlotte. Lawernce Joel Coliseum in W-S served as the set for the Charlotte Coliseum and the Charlotte Coliseum served as the set for Madison Square Garden, home of the New York Knicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Movies filmed all or partially in Asheville...

28 Days (2000)

All the Real Girls (2002)

Being There (1979)

...aka Chance (1979)

...aka Willkommen, Mr. Chance (1980)

Breed Apart, A (1984)

Bull Durham (1988)

Clearing, The (2003)

Conquest of Canaan, The (1916)

Conquest of Canaan, The (1921)

Convention of Railroad Passengers Agents (1901)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Gauntlet, The (1920)

Good Baby, A (2000)

Hannibal (2001)

Jo (2002) (TV)

Last of the Mohicans, The (1992)

M'Liss (1915)

Miles Ahead (2004)

Moog (2004)

Mr. Destiny (1990)

My Fellow Americans (1996)

Panoramic View, Asheville, N.C. (1901)

Patch Adams (1998)

Prince of Homburg, The (1977) (TV)

Private Eyes, The (1981)

Richie Rich (1994)

Sand Castle (2001)

Songcatcher (2000)

Swan, The (1956)

Thunder Road (1958)

True Lies (1994)

• 2 years later...

Louisville

'Behind The Headlines' (1937)

'Muhammad Ali, The Greatest' (1974)

'Traveller' (1997)

'Louisville' (1998)

'Nice Guys Sleep Alone' (1999)

'WWE Judgement Day' (2000)

'WWE Smackdown! (2003)

'Seabiscuit' (2003)

'Paper Cut' (2004)

'Keep Your Distance' (2005)

'Elizabethtown' (2005)

'Death Tunnel' (2005)

Because of Louisiana's tax incentive program for movie producers, there have been many movies made in New Orleans recently.

But there have been, very many movies filmed or set in New Orleans before the tax incentives came into effect s few years ago, the most famous of which is probably Tennessee Williams "A Streetcar Named Desire"

The two most recent major movies filmed here were..

The Skeleton Key(filmed in the swamps and bayous of Terrebone Parish just south of New Orleans)

Dukes Of Hazzard(Half was filmed in New Orleans, while the other half was filmed in Baton Rouge)

Many of the movies that were in production in New Orleans prior to Katrina, are starting to continue filming.

DC movies are usually filled with film flubs.

Will Smith in his 25 story hotel, which would obviously exceed the height limitation. Trying to pass the Montreal subway as the DC Metro in the Jackal. In American President, the girl complaining about DuPont Cirlce traffic going from the Capitol to W House, which wouldnt take you anywhere near DuPoint Circle.

Dave is the only one I can think of that didn't have something that made everyone in the theatre cringe.

Louisville

Elizabeth Town-2005

Death Tunnel- Based on True Paranormal Events that happens at one of the most haunted places on Earth "Waverly Hills." In the early 1900's it was a hospital for TB patients (Louisville had the worst outbreak in the U.S.). There was a death an hour there resulting in a total of 63,000 lives lost. It's also said that room 502 is the most haunted due to a nurse who hung herself in that room. The film makers say that when they were filming the movie unexplained things happened like swaers appearing on pictures and films, sudden drops of tempatures, ECT. It should be realeased by the end of this year.

Louisville

Elizabeth Town-2005

Death Tunnel- Based on True Paranormal Events that happens at one of the most haunted places on Earth "Waverly Hills." In the early 1900's it was a hospital for TB patients (Louisville had the worst outbreak in the U.S.). There was a death an hour there resulting in a total of 63,000 lives lost. It's also said that room 502 is the most haunted due to a nurse who hung herself in that room. The film makers say that when they were filming the movie unexplained things happened like swaers appearing on pictures and films, sudden drops of tempatures, ECT. It should be realeased by the end of this year.

There has been a few movies filmed in minnesota and the twin cities. Some werent even based in minnesota but were filmed here anyway. And some shows were about minnesota or the twin cities that werent filmed there. Like the mary tylor moore show. The only part of that show filmed in minneapolis was the opening credits. But here is a list of some of the bigger movies filmed there.

Airport - 1970

Purple Rain - 1984

Drop Dead Fred - 1990

The Mighty Ducks - 1992

Untamed Heart - 1992

Iron Will - 1993

Grumpy Old Men - 1993

D2: The Mighty Ducks - 1993

Little Big League - 1993

The Good Son - 1993

With Honors - 1993

Angus - 1994

Fargo - 1995

Grumpier Old Men - 1995

D3: The Mighty Ducks - 1995

Feeling Minnesota - 1995

Beautiful Girls - 1995

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 1995

Mallrats - 1995

Jingle All The Way - 1996

Overnight Delivery - 1996

Major League 3 - 1997

Drop Dead Gorgeous - 1998

A Simple Plan - 1998

Sugar and Spice - 1999

Joe Somebody - 2001

This year, Memphis:

Hustle and Flow, Sundance Audience Award Winner

Forty Shades of Blue, Sundance Grand Jury Award Winner

Walk the Line (releasing this month)

Streaker

Send in the Clown

Hustle and Flow and Walk the Line are a nice one-two punch . . . And quite different (although both music-related).

This year, Memphis:

Hustle and Flow, Sundance Audience Award Winner

Forty Shades of Blue, Sundance Grand Jury Award Winner

Walk the Line (releasing this month)

Streaker

Send in the Clown

Hustle and Flow and Walk the Line are a nice one-two punch . . . And quite different (although both music-related).

Should have added in "Black Snake Moan" currently in filming. (also music oriented and from the same director) :yahoo:

Archived