Williams Mullen Center

Shakman

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing is the ugliest thing I've seen! How can someone get away with building something so ugly in this day and age?! I certainly hope it goes through a serious design change before any construction begins! I mean, really...is this the best we can do? Pathetic!

Thanks for that link Vdogg...

"The building would be the first major office tower in Richmond since 1990, said John Cooke, a senior vice president for real estate company Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield."

Umm I think he forgot about Riverside on the James and Meadwestvaco.

Williams Mullen currently leases about 90,000 SF in James Center so this would represent a pretty large expansion for them and give them plenty of space to grow. I don't think this building is too terrible, it's just pretty uninspiring. There will definitely be an opportunity for redesign.

Also, can we rename this thread "Proposed: Williams Mullen Center" subline: "New 15-story Tower at 10th and Canal. Thanks!

Infill doesn't have to be uninspiring. Does this structure canterlever over the garage?

James Center should reassemble its original architects (certainly NOT combined with Armada Hoffler), build the proposed tower above JC III and strongly market it to Wms Mullen. What self-respecting company would want to call this ordinary industrial structure home? Image means a lot, and who should know that better than a bunch of lawyers?

Geez thanks for pointing out that horrible fact. SAVE THE WEST HOSPITAL!

I thought the building was going to be on top of the whole deck. The pic seems to have it basically on the corner.

Well maybe they'll light it up really nice.

At 15 stories, the office tower at Riverside on the James is about 215 feet... and it has several more floors of parking than this building. At 14-stories, James Center III is over 180'.

From my construction experience, I am thinkng the height maybe around 200 ft tall.

I read the column in the paper and it included the color version of the rendering. While that site isn't the place for an icon, it is a site for something better than what's shown.

I read the column in the paper and it included the color version of the rendering. While that site isn't the place for an icon, it is a site for something better than what's shown.

Wonder why they didn't choose someone other than Armada Hoffler to develop this thing? I bet Bam Architects could have done an exciting and avant job on that corner.

This is a pretty general comment about the lack of an iconic tower in downtown Richmond by Michael Paul Williams at inRich.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-26-0100.html

Check out the video accompanying Michael's column. He's pretty specific about the banality of Wms Mullen's tower.

I find it ironic that someone working for a firm that chose two 5 story buildings as opposed to one 'iconic' tower is blasting someone else for not building an 'iconic' tower...

City Council approves new office building:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-28-0212.html

I will repeat my opinion from RCW:

As I looked at the site today and imagined the rendering on the site, I can't help but think that this building will be a great fit. The concept is kind of "growing" on me. I looked at it again and it does certainly look "Richmond-esque". There is just something about it that fits. From what I can gather, James Center has some kind of easement that dictates, to a certain degree, the design of any building on this site. Also, it seems that this concept may draw from what the city had envisioned on this site some 20 years ago. (The incorporation of the adjacent deck.) There was even some speak about the height accommodating a veiwshed issue.

Congrats to all involved with this building! In all of my years in this city, I have never seen anything of this scope and magnitude breeze through the municipal chain so smoothly. No public dissention, no council opposition, no planning or finace committee haggling. There was even no rabble-rousing from the peanut gallery (city council regulars that we are all used to seeing). Williamas-Mullen, architects, developer, all were in perfect firing order. Obviously, these folks have their asses in gear and came in with a clear game plan. The result appears to be a "slam dunk!"

Archived