Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wingbert

R.I.P. Fat Boy

17 posts in this topic

And if we lose the Choo Choo Grill too I'll be jumping off the 6th St. Bridge shortly thereafter...

EAT...MORE...COW!

(local cow).

And if we lose the Choo Choo Grill too I'll be jumping off the 6th St. Bridge shortly thereafter...

EAT...MORE...COW!

(local cow).

FAT BOY may not have had the greatest food or ambience but it was the only restaurant I know of in GR that was ever immortalized in a syndicated comic strip:

http://zippythepinhead.com/Merchant2/merch...;Category_Code=

Back in the early fifties the building opened as a Tasty Freeze when soft-serve ice cream stores were opening everywhere sort of like coffee houses today. A few years later the owner added a lunch counter with five or six chairs and started serving hamburgers. I thought for sure that the new McDonalds on Plainfield would drive him out of business. Why would you pay 35 cents for a hamburger when you could get one at McDonalds for 15 cents? I was wrong and he expanded again to what you see today.

What are they doing with the sign? I would love to buy it (seriously). PM me if anyone has the scoop.

Joe

I think the burgers at Wealthy Station are pretty outstanding. Nothing resembling ambience unless you are a mechanic, but I would eat there constantly if my cholesterol wasn't lethally high.

I will top Joe's bid by $100 for the Fat Boy sign.

I only ate at Fat Boy once in order to sample his Chilimac. Somethings are better left alone.

But I'm still sad to see if go.

I will top Joe's bid by $100 for the Fat Boy sign.

Nice picture Dedav.

So as far as sign collections go, is it worth more unrestored or restored? What about if you just fix the neon and leave the peeling paint? (I

Heard a rumor that FAT BOY was going to re-open soon with a new owner. So I did a drive-by this morning, It

Heard a rumor that FAT BOY was going to re-open soon with a new owner. So I did a drive-by this morning, It's not open yet but there was some kind of housekeeping activity going on inside. I guess this is bad news for sign collectors.