Proposed: The Belvidere

wrldcoupe4

Thanks to RyanR for the head's up. The SUP for this project has been approved.

The site is located at Belvidere and W Grace, where the BP gas station is currently located. The redevelopment would include a 6-story 25-unit apartment building with ground floor convenience store serving a rebuilt gas station. The new building will be approximately 85 feet tall.

Drawings from the application:

thebelvidere3.jpg

thebelvidere2.jpg

thebelvidere1.jpg

Designed by BOB Architecture

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm. Seven stories, if you count the small rooftop unit. The building will be across Belvidere from the full block I wish could become the site of VCU's proposed new gallery.

Coupe, is it safe to go to RCW without fear of computer problems?

I am so glad to see this becoming closer and closer to reality. I really like this project alot.

Me too. Now if Burts proposal for that surface lot adjacent this one were to get some traction... well then a lot of people would be really interested in that corner...

It tought the original proposal had less brick but more metal cladding. I like that fact that the proposal is better use for what is currently on the property, but I think the facade could use a little more ooomf rather than brick.

• 3 years later...

Anything new to this project? Or, actually, is this specific corner the site of VCU's new ICA and that's why it got cancelled? Sorry to dig up such a long, lost thread, but the project seemed to get a lot of traction before going off the radar suddenly....

I'm sure plans for this project have been abandoned, although somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall seeing a rendering that looked considerbly better than the ugly brick structure shown in this thread.

It was to have been constructed adjacent to the gas pumps of Uppy's service station on the northwest corner of Belvidere and Grace. And it would not have infringed on the half block facing Broad where VCU's Institute of Contemporary Art will rise.

I'm sure plans for this project have been abandoned, although somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall seeing a rendering that looked considerbly better than the ugly brick structure shown in this thread.

It was to have been constructed adjacent to the gas pumps of Uppy's service station on the northwest corner of Belvidere and Grace. And it would not have infringed on the half block facing Broad where VCU's Institute of Contemporary Art will rise.

Would that rendering be this?

Click "enter", then "in the studio" then "belvidere".

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I contacted the firm's website and the developer behind this has moved on to other projects/ventures. What a shame, this would have looked so cool next door to the IOCA.

Tommy, look!

The Belvidere 's back in the news -- this time, it will be 10 stories instead of 6, if approved.

From today's Richmond biz sense (note comment under the story by a contributor named Jay.)

http://www.richmondb...p-his-building/

Tommy, look!

The Belvidere 's back in the news -- this time, it will be 10 stories instead of 6, if approved.

From today's Richmond biz sense (note comment under the story by a contributor named Jay.)

http://www.richmondb...p-his-building/

This is great news! That corridor of Broad/Belvidere/Grace is getting dense--and best of all, it's happening quickly. Looking forward to seeing the revised plans. Thanks for the heads up, Burt!

• 4 years later...

I think it would be great.  Continue the Broad Street Corridor down from MCV.  The new GRC, Johnson Hall, Rhoads, Brandt, Prestwood apartments, MPT, The Square, and the other VCU building on Grace are all 9-15+ floors tall.  Plus there are multiple tall buildings on Franklin, including the old Double Tree to be renovated.   

The hills make it difficult to see, but there are plenty of buildings in the area that have some height to them.

If this is the apartment building that's supposed to go where the gas station is, it will be great for Monroe Park.  We'll have the park entirely renovated and you'll see tall buildings everywhere you look.  It will be like a mini central park.

• 8 months later...

"Breaking: 18-story tower eyed for VCU gas station site; bowling alley included"

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/06/12/breaking-18-story-tower-eyed-for-vcu-gas-station-site-bowling-alley-included/

"existing zoning and approvals allow for the 18-story tower he plans to start constructing in October – the same month the neighboring ICA is scheduled to open."

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/story-apartment-project-planned-next-to-vcu-s-institute-for/article_00329cf4-8e8c-5047-8e06-e78b0f07301a.html

593ef952c8809.image.jpg

Archived