wrldcoupe4

Proposed: The Belvidere

23 posts in this topic

Thanks to RyanR for the head's up. The SUP for this project has been approved.

The site is located at Belvidere and W Grace, where the BP gas station is currently located. The redevelopment would include a 6-story 25-unit apartment building with ground floor convenience store serving a rebuilt gas station. The new building will be approximately 85 feet tall.

Drawings from the application:

thebelvidere3.jpg

thebelvidere2.jpg

thebelvidere1.jpg

Designed by BOB Architecture

Hmmmm. Seven stories, if you count the small rooftop unit. The building will be across Belvidere from the full block I wish could become the site of VCU's proposed new gallery.

Coupe, is it safe to go to RCW without fear of computer problems?

Edited by burt

I am so glad to see this becoming closer and closer to reality. I really like this project alot.

I am so glad to see this becoming closer and closer to reality. I really like this project alot.

Me too. Now if Burts proposal for that surface lot adjacent this one were to get some traction... well then a lot of people would be really interested in that corner...

It tought the original proposal had less brick but more metal cladding. I like that fact that the proposal is better use for what is currently on the property, but I think the facade could use a little more ooomf rather than brick.

I wish we could do a similar reuse with that gas station on Cary.

Anything new to this project? Or, actually, is this specific corner the site of VCU's new ICA and that's why it got cancelled? Sorry to dig up such a long, lost thread, but the project seemed to get a lot of traction before going off the radar suddenly....

Anything new to this project? Or, actually, is this specific corner the site of VCU's new ICA and that's why it got cancelled? Sorry to dig up such a long, lost thread, but the project seemed to get a lot of traction before going off the radar suddenly....

I'm sure plans for this project have been abandoned, although somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall seeing a rendering that looked considerbly better than the ugly brick structure shown in this thread.

It was to have been constructed adjacent to the gas pumps of Uppy's service station on the northwest corner of Belvidere and Grace. And it would not have infringed on the half block facing Broad where VCU's Institute of Contemporary Art will rise.

Edited by burt

I'm sure plans for this project have been abandoned, although somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall seeing a rendering that looked considerbly better than the ugly brick structure shown in this thread.

It was to have been constructed adjacent to the gas pumps of Uppy's service station on the northwest corner of Belvidere and Grace. And it would not have infringed on the half block facing Broad where VCU's Institute of Contemporary Art will rise.

Would that rendering be this?

Click "enter", then "in the studio" then "belvidere".

Unfortunately, I contacted the firm's website and the developer behind this has moved on to other projects/ventures. What a shame, this would have looked so cool next door to the IOCA.

Unfortunately, I contacted the firm's website and the developer behind this has moved on to other projects/ventures. What a shame, this would have looked so cool next door to the IOCA.

Tommy, look!

The Belvidere 's back in the news -- this time, it will be 10 stories instead of 6, if approved.

From today's Richmond biz sense (note comment under the story by a contributor named Jay.)

http://www.richmondb...p-his-building/

Tommy, look!

The Belvidere 's back in the news -- this time, it will be 10 stories instead of 6, if approved.

From today's Richmond biz sense (note comment under the story by a contributor named Jay.)

http://www.richmondb...p-his-building/

This is great news! That corridor of Broad/Belvidere/Grace is getting dense--and best of all, it's happening quickly. Looking forward to seeing the revised plans. Thanks for the heads up, Burt!

Whoa!  Don't know what to think about 16 stories in that section of Broad. 

1 person likes this

I know exactly what to think: great let's get moving stat

more development for the development map

more midrises for the midrise district

I like it, I think the modern architecture will compliment the new ICA

Edited by drayrichmond
2 people like this

I would agree that a structure such as this would compliment ICA as a needed contemporary urban anchor to the intersection. It is a sort of one-two punch for that major gateway. This is an exciting time for downtown development.

2 people like this

The new design reminds me of a smaller city hall. I also find it concerning that the parking deck panels are not covering the portion facing the ally, belvedere, and the ICA . 

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.02.07 PM.png

Edited by Marcus Squires

The height is fine, but I'm kind of underwhelmed with it to be honest 

Well, the rendering looks like it was done in Microsoft Paint.  Personally, I would like to see a bit more height and something a more "artistic/creative," but I don't hate this design.  At least it's glass!

1 person likes this