IMAX coming to Greenville

gman430

This news is spreading like wildfire. Just received it in an email. :) IMAX has announced that they will open a location at the Hollywood 20 cinemas on Woodruff Road in fall 2008. I don't know how many screens it will be. This will be the second one in the state. The other one is in Myrtle Beach. The one in Charleston closed down last year. You can see it listed under "coming soon" here: http://www.regmovies.com/grand-openings/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, wonderful news... although I'd love one at either the new Children's Museum or maybe by Riverplace, I do understand why they wouldn't though, due to the expense of creating a new facility vs. the ability to have one at an existing movie/ multiplex facility, and the ability to keep it open for a lengthy period of time.

Perhaps the reason the Charleston IMAX couldn't stay open was because it was a stand alone IMAX?

The location will be alright (though maybe not traffic wise) once Magnolia Park is built. I wish it were downtown, but maybe (say, 10 years or so?) when downtown is even more attractive to businesses and entertainment options, and perhaps once the greenville market has proven itself as a supportive metro, we'll see one locate downtown... :dontknow:

I think a lot of that has to do with Gville's lack of theaters. There are only 43 screens now in gville. Even though many have been added in Anderson and Sptbg and other upstate cities over the past 10 years, there used to be around 70 back in the mid 90s. Hollywood 20 is the only theater that really serves the Eastside and Golden strip area, and most people have forgotten about Carmike or prefer the stadium seating.

This is GREAT news! :yahoo:

I understand why they chose the location they did, and I am good with it. At this point, this is better than seeing them take a risk downtown. As great as Heritage Green would be for an IMAX, I fear that if it failed it would take a lot to get them to ever come back. As GvilleSC said, they can re-examine a downtown IMAX in 5-10 years - and then we might have two. ;)

P.S. I am fairly confident that the Hollywood 20 is the highest grossing theater in the Carolinas (includes NC also). Did I hear incorrectly? :dontknow:

This will help Magnolia Park turn out to be the kind of entertainment / restaurant destination proposed with the original MPTC plan. From some info I heard this weekend, Regal cinemas will be remodeled, with the IMAX being a constructed addition. This goes along with what we knew earlier that Regal did not want Magnolia Park to block it's frontage....there was a reason.

This addition of the states second IMAX will also be a selling point and help Menin / Magnolia Park continue to secure commitments from the type of restaurants they have been courting.

I don't think it's going to be a constructed addition. I'm pretty sure they're going to convert one of the regular screens to IMAX and show regular movies on it when there are no IMAX films being played at the theater. I don't know whether there will be a renovation or not. Also, that news story was written last week. It takes several days for it to get published.

It sounds like we are not going to get one of the 50'x70' screens. That is a real shame. All they are doing is remodeling one of the theaters. It will be bigger than normal and curved, but nothing like what I would like to see from an IMAX theater.

It sounds like we are not going to get one of the 50'x70' screens. That is a real shame. All they are doing is remodeling one of the theaters. It will be bigger than normal and curved, but nothing like what I would like to see from an IMAX theater.

• 1 month later...

Archived