IMAX coming to Greenville

gman430

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...

Seems like we are not the only ones who feel slighted by the IMAX Jr concept. Gville news article on the upcoming Simpsonville IMAX states this will be such a theater. Sounds like it will be in between the existing theater retrofitted screens and the true IMAX screens of 80' by 100 ft'. This one will be in the 40' x 70' ft range, much smaller. The article says it should be bigger and better suited to IMAX than the retrofits since the theater is being constructed specifically for the IMAX. But the article also talks about how IMAX could be diluting itself with these smaller theaters and that some people are becoming frustrated that the IMAXs they are visiting are not true IMAXs. It seems to me that if they are going to build a theater specifically for IMAX, they should go ahead and provide the real McCoy. I don't think the Simpsonville sceen will be much larger than Camelot's THX screen. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but sounds like they are kinda taking the cheap route on this one, and then hogtieing us with the market monopoly thing. :whistling:

Archived