Baton Rouge Community College

nquint1

I drove past BRCC yesterday and was shocked at how many buildings have gone up/are going up there. A gym!? Are the planning on adding more teams to the athletics department? Does anyone have a link to a master plan of the site? Are they ever going to tear down that ugly shopping center? :sick:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't seem to locate the master-plan. I know Rebel Drive name was changed to Community College Drive. The road was supposed to be re-configured(more pedestrian friendly) to curve around the parking garage instead of the straight street it is now. They should be tearing the other ugly stuff soon huh?? New aptartments sprung-up next door; and maybe some new townhouses nearby too.

Yes indeed!!! It's been fun to watch BRCC grow!! Good to see they will finally get a basketball team! It had been the U.S. Fastest growing CC for many years after building new from the ground-up(97'?). BRCC is at a perfect location in the heart of Mid-city and really helped revitalize the area. Just down Florida Blvd. renovating old (dead) Bon Marche Mall into the impressiveBonne Carre/La.Technology Park was a great thing!!! and the old Sears bldg. was renovated into a new BREC HQ's.

BTW thanks nquint1 for starting this thread; I thought about starting one about this many times. Or a Mid-city thread too.Need to get some pics.

Yes indeed!!! It's been fun to watch BRCC grow!! Good to see they will finally get a basketball team! It had been the U.S. Fastest growing CC for many years after building new from the ground-up(97'?). BRCC is at a perfect location in the heart of Mid-city and really helped revitalize the area. Just down Florida Blvd. renovating old (dead) Bon Marche Mall into the impressiveBonne Carre/La.Technology Park was a great thing!!! and the old Sears bldg. was renovated into a new BREC HQ's.

BTW thanks nquint1 for starting this thread; I thought about starting one about this many times. Or a Mid-city thread too.Need to get some pics.

• 5 weeks later...

ive heard roumors from different people about them changing to ..the university of Baton rouge in a few years....Do yall think it would be a good look or not

My opinion ....the UP's is...it would be a University...and heard about more.......the downs.....the prices to attend may go up...but hopefully it would be cheaper

lol it would be Cool to see them with a nice football stadium.....and I know Tons of people who have talent attending that school because it's cheaper...so they would be in pretty good shape..

Upgrading to a university defeats the purpose of the school. Part of the problem in this state is we have far to many 4 year institutions and not enough 2 year schools. BRCC's job is and should remain as a community college that trains students in vocations that only requre an associates degree. They should also continue to serve as a feeder school for both Southern and LSU.

Upgrading to a university defeats the purpose of the school. Part of the problem in this state is we have far to many 4 year institutions and not enough 2 year schools. BRCC's job is and should remain as a community college that trains students in vocations that only requre an associates degree. They should also continue to serve as a feeder school for both Southern and LSU.

BRCC still has more room to grow. The old run-down vacant Cox Communications section on the east-side should be dismantled anytime; I'll be interested in seeing what happens to the old Winn Dixie shopping center (south-side) at the corner of Government Street & Community College Drive??

BRCC being a two-year school is a perfect fit for our city.

Archived