Starbucks Closures in Charlotte

DigitalSky

Starbucks has posted the full list of all their closing 600 stores on their website, and only a handful of Charlotte locations are getting the ax.

Most of the stores are locations that overlap/have another Starbucks store nearby. However, the one outlier is the Wilkinson Boulevard store, which is really the only Starbucks store on Charlotte's west side (the airport doesn't count). The other stores closing are: Northlake Commons- since there is another store in the mall, Piedmont Town Center - numerous other locations in the SouthPark area, Worthington (Harris at Mallard Creek), and Providence Plaza at Sharon Amity, where there is a Starbucks just down the street in Cotswold.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sharon Amity location was a poor choice to begin with in my opinion. And they just opened it. I guess they thought the increased traffic from Rosewood and the other new tenants in Providence Plaza would drive business. But you couldn't really see it from the road and they had just expanded the Cotswold locale around the corner. Same with Piedmont in SP, it was basically a coffee bar for the condo residents there, it was invisible. I am not familiar with the suburban locations. The Wilkinson was a separate model in their economic opportunity program or something like that, I heard about it on NPR. The goal is to spur their growth and encourage other business in lower income areas. It's a shame they are closing that store, as having a Starbucks on the Westside was emblematic of the turnaround going on in the neighborhood. But in the end the bottom line trumps everything I suppose.

Amazingly neither of the TWO locations inside of Concord Mills are getting axed, which I find crazy considering there is one across from Bruton Smith Blvd. in with the Five Guys (around all of the hotels). There is also supposed to be one being built inside of the new Great Wolf Resort that would be open to the public, though I'm not sure if those plans got canned by the announcement by Starbucks that they would hold off on new locations for the interim.

Amazingly neither of the TWO locations inside of Concord Mills are getting axed, which I find crazy considering there is one across from Bruton Smith Blvd. in with the Five Guys (around all of the hotels). There is also supposed to be one being built inside of the new Great Wolf Resort that would be open to the public, though I'm not sure if those plans got canned by the announcement by Starbucks that they would hold off on new locations for the interim.

I can't speak to how busy they were or were not (although the closure I guess speaks for itself), but I doubt this location attracted many from outside it's immediate footprint. Those in this area, probably weren't really the Starbucks demographic.

Archived