Crescent Park to get makeover

GRDadof3

Also the park is not always deserted...go there around lunch time. Quite a few nurses, construction workers, Students and others eat lunch there during the summer. I also saw a very ambitious jogger running up and down the stairs one morning...talk about a workout!

I'm sure it's not always deserted, but it is every time I visit. I work in North Monroe so to get there in time for lunch I would need to drive there and magically find a parking space near the park. Sometimes on the weekend I'll walk over there in the afternoon to read and that's when I expect to find people doing the same thing but it hasn't happened so far.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I like about that park; it's a secret. When all you want to do is read, then usually it's quiet enough for you to do so while enjoying one of the greatest views in the city. Although, with all the new medical developments, I doubt it'll stay that way. The rehab looks great though and I can't wait to see it done.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in GR this past week and stopped by the park. It's worse that I remember it, not sure if that's because of all the construction going on around it, but glad it's finally getting it's overdue makeover.

Worse in what way? The physical condition?

• 1 year later...

Did a search to see if there was a topic for Crescent Park and found this.

Crescent Park is really taking shape.

Does anybody know when it is planned to open?

Zoom from 28th floor deck of River House Condos

3999296696_581acb3a6f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3999...57622498613284/

3999347530_a38a0efd9e.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3999...57622498613284/

~John

Did a search to see if there was a topic for Crescent Park and found this.

Crescent Park is really taking shape.

Does anybody know when it is planned to open?

You could try calling the phone number listed on the VAI website:

"Questions?

Please contact Friends of Crescent Park at 616-234-5552"

• 2 weeks later...

Via Facebook, Friends of Crescent Park are saying that it will be completed by the end of the month. A construction worker said it would be done by the weekend. Not sure if that applies to the top also or if he meant just the bottom at Crescent Street. Tables and benches are installed and they are installing bricks up top.

4kU.jpg

http://ow.ly/i/4kU/original

4l5.jpg

http://ow.ly/i/4l5/original

More in the October 2009 set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets...57622498613284/

~John

Are those coloured lights a permanent feature? That would be pretty neat if they are.

No. The special lights on the trees and bushes in Crescent Park along with the colored lights on the VAI Phase II Building were just for the fundraising gala for the Van Andel Institute.

~John

It did look very cool (nice photos John). I wish they were permanent, but either way, VAI II looks awesome.

Joe

No. The special lights on the trees and bushes in Crescent Park along with the colored lights on the VAI Phase II Building were just for the fundraising gala for the Van Andel Institute.

~John

• 2 weeks later...

There hasn't been a ceremony for Crescent Park. The Van Andel Institute had the construction fence removed with lights on trees and bushes with colored lights on their new Phase II building for one of their fund raising galas, then they had a more permanent fence put up after the gala event. When I was taking photos the night of the gala their security team stated that Crescent Park is private property and that it was not open to the public. I guess Crescent Park is not a city park and that it will be maintained and CONTROLLED by the Van Andel Institute Globalists and their supporters under the guise of Friends of Crescent Park. They built it for their scientists. A Rapid Growth Media article states that it will open in the Spring of 2010. http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/cresent1105.aspx

We should start an organization to research their sickness.

~John

There hasn't been a ceremony for Crescent Park. The Van Andel Institute had the construction fence removed with lights on trees and bushes with colored lights on their new Phase II building for one of their fund raising galas, then they had a more permanent fence put up after the gala event. When I was taking photos the night of the gala their security team stated that Crescent Park is private property and that it was not open to the public. I guess Crescent Park is not a city park and that it will be maintained and CONTROLLED by the Van Andel Institute Globalists and their supporters under the guise of Friends of Crescent Park. They built it for their scientists. A Rapid Growth Media article states that it will open in the Spring of 2010. http://www.rapidgrow...resent1105.aspx

We should start an organization to research their sickness.

~John

John,

Your conspiratorial tone is a bit ridiculous here. The park is still a city park. Of course Friends of Crescent Park is going to have some say over how the park is used and maintained, since they have invested so much into it and their stakeholders have a vested interest in seeing it kept nice. But it will still be public property, and once they are ready it will open back up for public use. I will ask a couple of contacts I know at VAI and see if I can find out why it is still closed.

John,

Your conspiratorial tone is a bit ridiculous here. The park is still a city park. Of course Friends of Crescent Park is going to have some say over how the park is used and maintained, since they have invested so much into it and their stakeholders have a vested interest in seeing it kept nice. But it will still be public property, and once they are ready it will open back up for public use. I will ask a couple of contacts I know at VAI and see if I can find out why it is still closed.

I guess they feel that while they're fixing the park, it's "theirs". When they are done, it will again be "ours". That's public-private partnerships for ya.

Archived